"Hearing Impaired" = offensive?

I can hear without my hearing aid, even use my cell phone to talk on it. It's even better when I'm in the water swimming and I'm talking to people near me.

How long have you been able to talk on a phone for? I means... how many years have you been able to?

How long have you been able to talk on a phone for? I means... how many years have you been able to?

For at least as long as his Gally days in the cafeteria :lol: but probably a lot longer.

I think i remember Naisho or Jiro speaking a short line to me and it was great.

oh? I don't remember talking to you at all. Wonder what I said to you :hmm:

oh? I don't remember talking to you at all. Wonder what I said to you :hmm:

I don't remember but you were making the rounds of the booths at the Expo when I was in the middle of a convo with someone else. It was cryptic.....unfortunate that you didn't linger or I didn't chase you down to intro myself. It was a hectic time....

I see. I haven't been able to use the phone, except on speaker phone, until a few years ago; prior to that, I needed an interpreter standing by me to be able to understand the caller. Cellphones were useless to me, except for SMS and MMS until my first Samsung phone last year-- volume maxed out of course. I am hoping VRS will provide a more fluid conversation than what I am dishing out right now though.

Must be nice not having to use a TTY. :cool:

I don't remember but you were making the rounds of the booths at the Expo when I was in the middle of a convo with someone else. It was cryptic.....unfortunate that you didn't linger or me chasing you down to intro myself. It was a hectic time....

you were chasing me? you sure it's me, not poweron? :lol:

I do remember PFH introducing me to you. We had a very brief convo and then I.... think I told you that I have to go because the group I was with was hungry plus me!

Dang where's my secretary? My robot's broken.

you were chasing me? you sure it's me, not poweron? :lol:

I do remember PFH introducing me to you. We had a very brief convo and then I.... think I told you that I have to go because the group I was with was hungry plus me!

Dang where's my secretary? My robot's broken.

PFH introduced us? Hmmm, don't remember that; I was thinking I recognized you.....oh, well....as for poweron......nevermind....:lol:

I see. I haven't been able to use the phone, except on speaker phone, until a few years ago; prior to that, I needed an interpreter standing by me to be able to understand the caller. Cellphones were useless to me, except for SMS and MMS until my first Samsung phone last year-- volume maxed out of course. I am hoping VRS will provide a more fluid conversation than what I am dishing out right now though.

Must be nice not having to use a TTY. :cool:

Speaker phone nowadays is so helpful if I'm not wearing my hearing aid. It's great as well to talk hands free and just put the phone on my desk or table while I eat or relax while I use my hearing aid. I don't use the telecoil.

Speaker phone nowadays is so helpful if I'm not wearing my hearing aid. It's great as well to talk hands free and just put the phone on my desk or table while I eat or relax while I use my hearing aid. I don't use the telecoil.

:) I don't use my hearing aid either on my BlackBerry on my good ear... only because it provides a horrid feedback noise if I do, and I don't have the disposable income to bypass it with a SmartLink. I will have to give the t-coil another shot someday since the last time I used it, I wasn't fond of the white noises that I was picking up.

I should have rephrased it better. Out of the 30 million people with hearing loss would most of them consider "hearing impaired" a "nasty" description of their hearing loss?
most profoundly deaf people like me, you mean? yeah, so far. didn't you read their responses in links of threads I provided in this thread? research who's profoundly deaf first.

you said,
I can hear without my hearing aid, even use my cell phone to talk on it. It's even better when I'm in the water swimming and I'm talking to people near me.

see here, definition number one. it's for people with little or little more than half hearing loss. if you're fine with that term, HI then that's fine with me. I don't use any "programs" (devices) so I'm not hearing impaired. since you wear HAs, I wouldn't count your opinion in as one or even half of it. I know there are a lot of HOHs who can hear, with or without HAs that can speak as well as you do so you can discuss this with other cell-phone HOHs, not even environmental stimulators either. for instance, Jiro and hearing impaired is not offensive to him either. :)

Back