Hating to use "spoken" English?

The example of Trappist monks-presumably NOT speaking is similar to that of persons using "Voice off" however the reason why probably is much different. Not sure how one can differentiate between them- not speaking?

But those monks can still hear. They are getting at least 1/2 way through communication even if they choose not to speak back.

The example of Trappist monks-presumably NOT speaking is similar to that of persons using "Voice off" however the reason why probably is much different. Not sure how one can differentiate between them- not speaking?

The difference is ability to hear.

Hoh don't sound like looney tunes, but I do know donald does. Ppl who sign pure language can't speak like sardines went to same school.

Hoh don't sound like cartoon, but I do know daffy duck does. Ppl who sign pure language can't speak like sardines went to same school.

I wonder if this would be considered mixed metaphors?

I find it a lot easier to write then it is to speak. I completely and totally lose my speech when I get upset.

Speaking is hard work.

First I have to think what I want to say, then translate that into English, then think how to say words in English, then try to control my volume level (best guess) then say it out loud. Long process, not natural and doesn't come out like THAT, like it for hearing people.

In BSL I don't need to do all that, just sign what in my head. More natural.

I got a couple new hearing aids three weeks ago and most often just wear one, and not all the time, either. I have a part time job as parking lot attendant, which I enjoy; however, one of the managers told me to wear both hearing aids while on the job. I replied firmly that he had no right do ask that, since whether I wear aids or not does not affect my performance in any matter. He was upset at first, but cooled off since. I guess he realizes that having a parking lot attendant who signs greetings to arriving customers is not a bad thing, after all. :)

Somewhere in AD I posted about my Co-Worker not being able to say the word 'deaf'. Just had another conversation with him and I tried again... this conversation was better and he was able to say 'deaf' but it was clear to him that i cannot be deaf because I am too intelligent. Has he no clue???? I decided getting fired because I punched him in the nose would not do either of us any good. I fumbled around and said some idiotic things just to move the conversation back to work. Sigh, why do I even bother... Why do I care... Why... why... why?????? SMH

Is this a truthful article by BBC: BBC News - Living outside the hearing world ? It says that CI is a partial fix for some people and no fix for the remainder. Is that a good way to put it?

I communicate with two people at work and that is working fine with me. I do not need HA and it only works if it is silent.

Somewhere in AD I posted about my Co-Worker not being able to say the word 'deaf'. Just had another conversation with him and I tried again... this conversation was better and he was able to say 'deaf' but it was clear to him that i cannot be deaf because I am too intelligent. Has he no clue???? I decided getting fired because I punched him in the nose would not do either of us any good. I fumbled around and said some idiotic things just to move the conversation back to work. Sigh, why do I even bother... Why do I care... Why... why... why?????? SMH

Your coworker can't say the word deaf? :shock:

I've forgotten how to pronounce a lot of words myself (being deaf 50 years)...but I never gave up my speech completely. My family & friends understand that. If I cannot pronounce a word verbally, I spell it out, or even write it. I've even asked my sons how to pronounce a word that I've forgotten how to verbally speak it correctly and they accommodate me.

Lip reading can become so tedious at times. I can't foresee myself going voice off. Seems it would give me twice the feeling of being isolated...in isolation. If my family were all deaf, sure, I would go voice off, but they aren't.

I will see a speech therapist about every 10 years to brush my speech up. I have the same the problem , I was trying to say September to my ENT Dr. and he thought I was saying December. I will forget how to pronounce some words and will try to get the person I am talking to say the word for me!

Your coworker can't say the word deaf? :shock:

Yep. To him it's derogatory. To him, being deaf is a ticket to living in the streets. He only recently came to America so his views are deeply influenced by his upbringing. I try to be patient with him. Try to educate him. But he cannot see what is right in front of his face.

Yep. To him it's derogatory. To him, being deaf is a ticket to living in the streets. He only recently came to America so his views are deeply influenced by his upbringing. I try to be patient with him. Try to educate him. But he cannot see what is right in front of his face.

wowwwwwww... it would suck to be deaf in whatever country he is from.

I decided getting fired because I punched him in the nose would not do either of us any good.

Sounds like a difficult decision.

I don't mind speaking. The problem is that when I speak, people assume I can hear as well.

completely different experience when I choose to sign instead. Suddenly hearing people are much more accommodating. I don't get that confused/annoyed look if I didn't hear what they said.

There's a saying that you teach people how to treat you by how you act. If you speak like a hearing person, they will treat you like you can hear like one too.

Which is why I act like a HOH person around hearing people. I let them know I am HOH and to face me, speak clearly when they speak to me.

Just because one speak, does not mean they are "acting" hearing.

Which is why I act like a HOH person around hearing people. I let them know I am HOH and to face me, speak clearly when they speak to me.

Just because one speak, does not mean they are "acting" hearing.

We are not acting, but when we speak, it appears to hearing people that we hear as well as we speak and that's where it gets complicated and problematic.

As for the saying I mentioned, I didn't mean literally acting, I meant that verb in the context of behaviour, not like actors on a stage.

I rarely have issues with people thinking I can hear, after I tell them I can not. I speak and they make sure I understand them.

Back