Greetings from Colorado

Ziggy

Reaction score
Hello! I'm hearing and currently taking ASL classes. I'm not looking for a relationship here or a deaf friend, but I would like to learn more about deaf culture. What confuses me is that my deaf friends want to be treated like everyone else, but the deaf community seems to be very closed. I do realize it's easier to hang out with people who speak your language, but there are a lot of ways for people to communicate. What gives?

Welcome to all deaf. Also I believe some want to be treated the same, as in not looked at like freaks or different, or pitied. But the deaf world is very closed off because it is like a family. People get comfortable in the deaf world. I can't talk for all deaf/HoH people because I don't know their reasons. But I personally am very closed off to the hearing world unless I have to pretend to be hearing with my family.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

DeafNerdMommy

Very perceptive thoughts. Thank you. I do know that one problem the deaf have is that while they do have specific problems being deaf, nobody can see it. like a blind person with a cane or someone with a broken leg. So, what do you do when you are in public and a hearing person approaches you? Communicate that you are deaf and see what happens? Or, run the other way? And what is it about the hearing world that seems to keep the deaf so close together? I certainly don't see myself as better than "them." Actually it's the other way around. All I've had to overcome in my life is stupidity.

First off I want to throw out that I am hard of hearing and do use hearing aids in the hearing world. I have never left my house alone though. So I always have someone that talks for me. My husband is my number one voice. I can talk just fine due to speech therapy as a child. But I am not a fan of the hearing world personally. Normally when I tell people I am HoH I get ask a million questions. Which freaks me out more than annoying.
If you think about going to another country and not learning the language but you brought 1 person that can speak english. Would you spend your time with the locals or with the person that understands you? Deaf people don't think hearies are better, they just know they world was made for hearies and have to work a little harder to get what they want.

First off I want to throw out that I am hard of hearing and do use hearing aids in the hearing world. I have never left my house alone though. So I always have someone that talks for me. My husband is my number one voice. I can talk just fine due to speech therapy as a child. But I am not a fan of the hearing world personally. Normally when I tell people I am HoH I get ask a million questions. Which freaks me out more than annoying.
If you think about going to another country and not learning the language but you brought 1 person that can speak english. Would you spend your time with the locals or with the person that understands you? Deaf people don't think hearies are better, they just know they world was made for hearies and have to work a little harder to get what they want.

When I tell someone I am hoh they'll say they're sorry or that OK , HUH ? I said I was hoh so people would talk louder on the phone .The only annoying question I been asked if I can drive a car . :roll: Or if I sleep with my HA on.

You don't sleep with your ha on? How do you hear people at night lol

Back