got hit

we get auto calls from the schools here, got them today, everything is closed.

Wirelessly posted (ZTE X501 Phone/Asus Tablet)

sonocativo said:
we get auto calls from the schools here, got them today, everything is closed.

Yeah, well. They shouldn't be open tomorrow, not with these extreme temps, which puts kids at risk of becoming very sick.

I learned something interesting that y'all might not know, but I heard that frostbites sets in within 10 minutes at -35°, and 5 minutes at -50°. So if you live in IL, it's definitely advised to stay home and not go outside. I'm worried for all the people that have to go to work tomorrow. :|

Some schools do close, yes, but the Chicago Public Schools says they intend to be open tomorrow, and that's just plain wrong.

I watched the news and it was officially announced that all Chicago public schools are closed.

blackhawksgirl said:

Some schools do close, yes, but the Chicago Public Schools says they intend to be open tomorrow, and that's just plain wrong.

I watched the news and it was officially announced that all Chicago public schools are closed.

I just found out. Here's a link that's related:

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBREA000JC20140106?irpc=932

Stay safe everyone!!

We'll be fine. We have plenty of firewood.

You'll get a little cold is all ... all were suppose to get here is less than an inch of snow but the temp will get down to 2 degrees and -11 with windchill.

ncff07 said:
We'll be fine. We have plenty of firewood.

You'll get a little cold is all ... all were suppose to get here is less than an inch of snow but the temp will get down to 2 degrees and -11 with windchill.

Not here. It's 0 now, and still dropping.

That's why I settled down here in So. Calif. No more BRRRRR!

Yeah..... I'd love to settle someplace warm, but only problem is, there's no other train line that's even close to Effingham, and the closest one that IS in IL is Bloomington and Springfield, IL, and neither one would work for my parents. That, and the fact that there's not that many deaf down in that part of IL than there are here in Cook, Lake, and McHenry Counties.

Yeah, well. They shouldn't be open tomorrow, not with these extreme temps, which puts kids at risk of becoming very sick.

Oh I completely agree. Unlike when I was a kid they didnt announce that, had to walk to school anyways and get there only to find out they were closed and walk back home. Sometimes I had to stay an hour to warm up.. put my coat on a radiator with my backpack. Books hold the heat really good when they get hot, kept me warm all the way back home.

That autocall to keep the schoolkids at home is sure a good thing. There was a small ice storm here earlier this winter. Two school buses full of kids went off the road and laid down in ditches. Big OOPS. Thank God none were hurt somehow. Kind of a wakeup call oh yeah we are in Alaska. Kind of a long drawn out warmer than usual fall made every one lazy and less prepared than usual.

Oh I completely agree. Unlike when I was a kid they didnt announce that, had to walk to school anyways and get there only to find out they were closed and walk back home. Sometimes I had to stay an hour to warm up.. put my coat on a radiator with my backpack. Books hold the heat really good when they get hot, kept me warm all the way back home.

Well, it's a good thing they changed their minds, and closed the schools. I'm thinking many local businesses are gonna have limited customers and whatnot, so we'll see today.

That autocall to keep the schoolkids at home is sure a good thing. There was a small ice storm here earlier this winter. Two school buses full of kids went off the road and laid down in ditches. Big OOPS. Thank God none were hurt somehow. Kind of a wakeup call oh yeah we are in Alaska. Kind of a long drawn out warmer than usual fall made every one lazy and less prepared than usual.

Our fall was pretty mild, too, up until just before Thanksgiving, when the temps started to go down. Hasn't been the same since, cause we've not had any temps over 60 degrees since Nov. 17th, and that was when we had two EF4 tornadoes slam into the state, and do a LOT of damage. Could've sworn one of them was an EF5, but no.

end of those days are coming...lol

Attachments

• 69527_10201379675230238_2081840483_n.jpg
    69527_10201379675230238_2081840483_n.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 9
  • 1484746_620518274650730_1431209820_n.jpg
    1484746_620518274650730_1431209820_n.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 1374848_671444839544976_1527374682_n.png
    1374848_671444839544976_1527374682_n.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 8
end of those days are coming...lol

Uh, yeah, about those wheels..... where you gonna find a ladder for THAT bus? And how are the kids supposed to get up there? That bus would have to go through the country and all that, so as not to make any cars as flat as a pancake.

They will install a wheelchair lift, just scoop the kids right up, the whole bus stop at once...lol

They will install a wheelchair lift, just scoop the kids right up, the whole bus stop at once...lol

Hmm. You could do that, but there's still the issue of pancaking cars, though. No owner wants to find their car/truck/van as thin as a pancake, and who knows what else.

Hmm. You could do that, but there's still the issue of pancaking cars, though. No owner wants to find their car/truck/van as thin as a pancake, and who knows what else.

What cars? Oh, you mean those bumps in the snow....lol

Back