Gore assails Bush's policies, honesty

Fly Free

Reaction score
Gore spoke reference President Bush his policies and how he feels Bush has been lying -- and i agree with Gore!!!!!!

NEW YORK (Aug. 7) - Former Vice President Al Gore, assailing U.S. policies in Iraq and at home, on Thursday argued that the Bush administration ''routinely shows disrespect'' for the ''honest and open debate'' that produces the truth.

''I think it's partly because they feel they already know the truth, and aren't very curious to learn about any facts that might contradict it,'' Gore said in a 35-minute speech at New York University.

The 2000 Democratic presidential nominee, addressing about 600 people in a speech sponsored by the liberal activist group Moveon.Org, said the nation's military and economic policies under President Bush had upset many Americans.

''The direction in which our nation is being led is deeply troubling to me, not only in Iraq but also at home, on economic policy, social policy and environmental policy,'' Gore said.

''Millions of Americans now share a feeling that something pretty basic has gone wrong in our country, and that some important American values are being placed at risk, and they want to set it right.''

Gore, who was cheered throughout the speech by the partisan crowd, also called on Bush to rein in Attorney General John Ashcroft and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

The Department of Defense's planned surveillance system, Total Information Awareness, was ''right out of George Orwell's '1984,''' Gore said. The plan was renamed Terrorism Information Awareness after complaints by politicians and civil liberties groups.

Gore argued that the administration used false pretenses to launch the war against Saddam Hussein, including claims that the Iraqi leader was involved in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and was on the verge of providing terrorists with chemical, biological and nuclear weapons.

''As a result, too many of our soldiers are paying the highest price for the strategic miscalculations, serious misjudgments and historic mistakes that have put them and our nation in harm's way,'' Gore said.

The Democrat, who captured the popular vote but lost the electoral count in 2000, delivered the speech amid talk that he should enter the presidential race. On Wednesday, former New York governor Mario Cuomo urged Gore to jump into the already-crowded Democratic field of nine contenders. Gore reiterated that he would not seek the nomination, although he promised an endorsement down the road.

Gore said the administration has also given false impression about the results of tax cuts, and he called the federal budget deficit ''an emerging fiscal catastrophe.''

In both Iraq and the economy, Gore said, the common factor is a dishonesty in the dissemination of facts. ''That really is the nub of the problem,'' he said.

AP-NY-08-07-03 1324EDT

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

"clap clap clap"

Lets hear it for the man who got more votes than our President!

Yay!

I belive that ALL the Bush families are nothing but trouble makers, lairs, AA, poltics brownnosers, and scandalous sons of bitches its a pity all the wives got sucked into the BS as well tsk tsk!

"trouble makers, lairs, AA, poltics brownnosers, and scandalous sons"

. . . DWI'rs, good old boys club priviledges, coattail riders, texan oil wildcatters that couldn't find oil in Texas, string puller/pullee, academic embarassment, . . .

anybody like to say something in defense of our president? I'd hate to see things ONE SIDED as we often see elsewhere ya know!:)

Originally posted by Bush_in_2004!
[B"clap clap clap"

Lets hear it for the man who got more votes than our President!

Yay! [/B]

Are you against Bush? if so, then why u have ur screenname "bush in 2004?" sounds like u want bush to win again? it's confusing me:eek:

Scuba, Its like getting a tattoo. One night I got all excited by our president's "crazy talk" and signed up in AllDeaf as a Bush supporter hoping to spread the good word. The next morning after I woke up I realized what I'd done. UGH!:eek:

So kids, don't let this happen to you! Support the Democrats! :D

WTG Gore!!! He is a damn brilliant speaker. Bush is nothing, but lying Texan. Bush is stupid fucker. :madfawk:

anybody like to say something in defense of our president? I'd hate to see things ONE SIDED as we often see elsewhere ya know!

Far be it for me to defend Duhbyucka on anything, but he is very good at taking a lot of naps. Does that count?

This is a HOOT! need flash...
Idiot Son of an Asshole

Cheanne said:
Far be it for me to defend Duhbyucka on anything, but he is very good at taking a lot of naps. Does that count?

Whoa! Allright! Yep, a good word for our president -- Bush IS good at taking naps. Well, now I can safely say that AllDeaf is one up on that "conservative" place. Congrats all.

Back