google glass as a signing translation tool?

a93h201

Reaction score
this is an idea not a product/software
just trying to get a feeling as to how a solution like below would be received.

using Google glass as a platform

• using the camera it translates sign language into text or voice
  • using the mic the voice of the glass user is converted to display how you reply in sign language
  • using the mic the voice of the person talking to you could be converted to text

sign language, now that would be possible with the right processing. video split into frames and processed for reference points then matched to held reference, say in the cloud. if multiple frames show the same references they are then dropped to just one frame.

Showing how to sign is a learning tool as well as a help for occasional use.

for the deaf person using glass, you could automatically convert all voice to text, in real time like sub titles for the every day.

these are just ideas and i am no expert, so if you feel you can do something with them feel free to run with them. just make them a success.

• using the mic the voice of the glass user is converted to display how you reply in sign language
  • using the mic the voice of the person talking to you could be converted to text

sign language, now that would be possible with the right processing. video split into frames and processed for reference points then matched to held reference, say in the cloud. if multiple frames show the same references they are then dropped to just one frame.

Showing how to sign is a learning tool as well as a help for occasional use.

for the deaf person using glass, you could automatically convert all voice to text, in real time like sub titles for the every day.

these are just ideas and i am no expert, so if you feel you can do something with them feel free to run with them. just make them a success.

You used the phrase "sign languages" and there are lots of signed languages. I'm going to address your question in based on American Sign Language (ASL), although I think my answer applies to other signed languages as well.

Are you aware that when you express something in ASL, you are **not** taking the words from an English sentence of equivalent meaning and replacing each spoken word with a signed equivalent? If that were the case, then your idea might make sense to me.

But in reality, ASL has a grammar very different from English. Not just different like "French and English have different grammars", but more radically, because visual languages evolve very differently from spoken languages. They are structured very differently. They are not constrained to linearity as are sounds heard over time, they have the use of space at their disposal - it makes for a whole different ball game. Often there is not a direct translation from an English word to an ASL sign or vice versa. Sometimes long English explanations can be conveyed with a couple very efficient pieces of ASL, and other times ASL must expand on a brief English utterance in order to convey it properly. What's more, ASL is deeply interwoven part of Deaf Culture, and it often happens that some knowledge of that culture is necessary to get the intended meaning (along with any emotional content or lack thereof) from a signed communication.

it apply to bsl...if you watching for example deaf focus programme all sign then english would not tally as amyl says it visual and one sign could cover many english words..i used many words to explain as amyl has but if we signed conversation far fewer signs used and meaning be the same..
hearies can get confused and deaf person often thought as rude but not the case..i was born hearing but after i went deaf i had difficulty as i was signing word for word..i went to rehabilitation and i spent weeks living with deaf family pens were not allowed i learned quick surpearltive words un-neccssary.i think as heari and write as one but i can tell if someone born deaf, sign first langage when they comment on here they use far fewer words and sentence and meaning the same but more clear cut

That's what YouTube (owned by Google) is using now called speech recognition (automatic captions). It's not 100% successful. Oh well...

That's what YouTube (owned by Google) is using now called speech recognition (automatic captions). It's not 100% successful. Oh well...
I have yet to see even one youtube video with the auto captions that make any sense. They are chock full of errors.

I have yet to see even one youtube video with the auto captions that make any sense. They are chock full of errors.
I would say about 60% failure.

Anyway do you have a voice-activated device at home such as a security system or in your car such as a GPS? If so, is it working?

I would say about 60% failure.

Anyway do you have a voice-activated device at home or in your car? If so, is it working?
No, I don't have any voice-activated devices.

Back