Good Morning from Chicago! (New Here...)

Alix

Reaction score
Hi guys, my name is Alix, and i'm a student in the great city of Chicago.

I am currently in a deaf culture class where we have been asked to interview a deaf or hearing impaired person outside of our school or ring of deaf friends. I attended a deaf event, but was too mortified at my lack of ASL to approach anyone...

I am dissapointed in myself, and I was hoping someone could help me finish this interview. The interview is twenty questions, and I would appreciate any help with it greatly.

Thanks so much,
Alix

welcome to Alldeaf :) i used to be from Chicago but out in the 'burbs but i move out when i was kid

Hi and welcome, Alix

I am in Milwaukee area. Just wanna say - maybe u could get up your courage and try again. I am hearing but had been re-learning ASL with the great help of a Deaf adult......have been to Deaf festivals and so on, and part of learning about the language and overall culture, from my experience, is to just go and TRY. From my experience as hearing there's some or a lot in Deaf culture that takes place one-on-one, and visually, which cannot be achieved through internet. It seems to me that part of learning about many topics is seeing another point of view. Meant kindly, if you go to Deaf event, you will be in an environment where you may likely be in the "minority" where you will have to work harder to communicate. I say this speaking as someone with LD, who does not always understand things the same way or as easy as some other people do. Am just saying - with these kinda assignments - there's more to it than just the class goal of "do this in such-and-such order by a certain time"

I do wish you the best of luck! And remember, since I put my LD in there - DEAF and disability NOT same, not one.

Wow, a name same as my sister's! :eek3:

Welcome to AD! I'm Jake, deaf and from Australia.

Thanks everyone, Jake where in Aussie-land are you from? Ive spent my summers in Sydney since I was little...

Thanks everyone, Jake where in Aussie-land are you from? Ive spent my summers in Sydney since I was little...

Just three hours south outside Sydney, Canberra - of course. :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I am Deaf and was born in Chicago, Illinois until I was about four or five years old when I moved out with my parents to Michigan and then to Minnesota. I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around. :wave:

Thanks for the warm welcome... Now would anybody like to volenteer for a short interview regarding deaf culture? I would be eternally gratfull....

If you want, you can interview me if you like, since for the sake of it.

My goodness, that would be fantastic! Thank you soooo much!
My email is ixi_pixie_9360@yahoo.com if you dont want to give out your adress, and I can send some questions directly to you.

Really, thank you so much!

JClark, Thanks so much for agreeing.. I'm going to step away, so I thought I'd just leave the questions up here. You don't have to answer any that you don't like or would rather not answer. Again, thanks a bunch...
Alix

Deaf Culture Interview

1) How did the person become deaf?
2) How did parents react to person becoming deaf?
3) Any other minority?
4) Do parents or siblings know sign language?
5) What communication method does the person use at first?
6) Educational background (school and college)
7) Where does the person work? If no job, why?
8) What communication method does the person used now?
9) Social life?
10) What are the person’s views on ASL?
11) What is the persons view on Deaf Culture?
12) View on cochlear implants?
13) Any deaf role models?
14) Were there any frustrations in your life? ( Explain in detail)
15) If you were the president, what would you change in the hearing world?
16) Are you proud to be deaf?
17) Are the majority of people you surround yourself with deaf?
18) Are you a part of any deaf clubs or organizations?
19) Do you feel like you are part of a community?
20) What do you think about hearing people?

my email again is ixi_pixie_9360@yahoo.com
and I owe you one....

Back