"Good" Housekeeping - anti-Deaf bias!!!

Tasha'sMom

Reaction score
Has anybody read the super-offensive article in the Dec. Good Housekeeping? It's a personal story about a woman who had a CI, but the language is soooo biased! It doesn't talk about how it is a choice. It doesn't talk about Deaf culture. It doesn't present both sides. I am SICK of "hearing loss" and the easy dismissal of ASL. Should Chinese people be forced to only speak english? Should we surgically correct the eyes of children with Down's? Is there only ONE right way to look and communicate, and it's HEARING???

BULLSH*T

My Proud Deaf child is PERFECT, communicates perfectly, and suffers from nothing except too many friends and too many toys and too many cookies!!!

I am not against the CI - Tasha has one, but it doesn't work for her. We started to learn ASL the minute we learned she was Deaf. Even if it had worked, I would NEVER have turned my back on who my child is. She's Deaf.

Having a CI doesn't change that - why won't people understand that? Why must the Deaf be FIXED? Read the article. And let's start a letter writing campaign, so that when my beautiful Tasha has learned to read, she won't have to read CRAP like that.

:mad::mad::mad:

Your daughter may just need to adjust that not everything is always presented with both sides.

Not having seen the article, is it about the miracle of CI? Was the woman late deafened?

Was your daughter perfect as a deaf child before you implanted her? Or did she become the perfect deaf child after CI didn't work.

While you are angry at the outside world for thinking CI is great, will your child never notice you implanted her , before you decided that as long as it didn't work, deaf is just fine??

Outrage is all well and good, but you sound more like the Aesop fable Sour Grapes.

you cannot outrage or things deal with something issues.. accept to Ci whom is well

it is problem on again and again, it is happened, whom is oral and speech Cochlear implant,

I don't know what is exactly.it avoid your frustrated.,I suggest to you mind your cool!
try best positive your encourage to tell you what is wrong CI or happened resolve!?

where is find article? something? Be careful

Tasha'sMom, was the article about a late deafened woman? I'm guessing it may have been about one of those early dhh women who were told that ALL they needed was speech therapy and How the Ear Hears. I agree......that approach is fucking boring, and ignores that being dhh is a positive thing.

Tasha'sMom, was the article about a late deafened woman? I'm guessing it may have been about one of those early dhh women who were told that ALL they needed was speech therapy and How the Ear Hears. I agree......that approach is fucking boring, and ignores that being dhh is a positive thing.

Did you read the article? I didn't because there was no link and I couldn't find it on their site. Without having read it, I'd venture to guess that a CI was in fact a positive thing for this woman.

Why the need to cuss so much?

Did you read the article? I didn't because there was no link and I couldn't find it on their site. Without having read it, I'd venture to guess that a CI was in fact a positive thing for this woman.

Why the need to cuss so much?

Maybe just bonding with the potty mouthed OP?? :dunno:

I tried to find this article in Good Housekeeping online but, unfortunately, I would have to pay to download the December issue (which I did not). Since I don't know what the article says, I cannot share my opinion of it. However, I am a little confused TashasMom. On one hand you are clearly upset at the idea of 'fixing' a trait someone possesses (ie: "Should we surgically correct the eyes of children with Down's?") yet, on the other hand, you state that you did make the choice to give your daughter a CI.

Now in no way am I questioning your choices, every parent does what they feel is best for their child at any given time. But I do wonder if you would feel less enraged had your daughter's CI worked? And while correcting the eyes of a Down's child or forcing a Chinese person to speak english does not change the essence of who that child is, neither does an implant change the essence of who a deaf child is - so do they not all share the commonality of trying to 'fix' or change something?

Again, I have not read the article but am somewhat confused by your outrage.

Now in no way am I questioning your choices, every parent does what they feel is best for their child at any given time. But I do wonder if you would feel less enraged had your daughter's CI worked? And while correcting the eyes of a Down's child or forcing a Chinese person to speak english does not change the essence of who that child is, neither does an implant change the essence of who a deaf child is - so do they not all share the commonality of trying to 'fix' or change something?

Again, I have not read the article but am somewhat confused by your outrage.

I thought same thing. It's almost like she's upset that her daughter's CI does not work.

What was Tasha's Mom thoughts on the suitability of a Cochlear Implant for her "deaf" daughter PRIOR to implantation? Presumably she asked for the operation hoping for a "positive" result?

Last edited:
I read the article today at the library. Gee what a surprise. The mom of the woman who was implanted seemed to be a helicopter mom. ...She even moved to her daughter's college, so she could serve as her own personal notetaker?!?!?! Maybe the ONLY reason why oral-only seems to be "successful" is b/c helicopter parents are attracted to it.
I agree with you......the mom seemed to be a very stereotypical "AG Hell" MY CHILD needs to be a Designer High Acheiver type. I feel sorry for her daughter. Very sorry......I mean yeah, its good she can hear....but it was also clear from the article that the mother never allowed the daughter to become independent, and develop into her own person.

I read the article today at the library. Gee what a surprise. The mom of the woman who was implanted seemed to be a helicopter mom. ...She even moved to her daughter's college, so she could serve as her own personal notetaker?!?!?! Maybe the ONLY reason why oral-only seems to be "successful" is b/c helicopter parents are attracted to it.
I agree with you......the mom seemed to be a very stereotypical "AG Hell" MY CHILD needs to be a Designer High Acheiver type. I feel sorry for her daughter. Very sorry......I mean yeah, its good she can hear....but it was also clear from the article that the mother never allowed the daughter to become independent, and develop into her own person.

a helicopter mom??

You inferred all of that from the article because the mom went to school with her to take notes? Did it occur to you that perhaps she had encountered years of opposition from the school districts and the educational system- and figured if something needed to be done, she needed to make it happen??

I haven't read the article, but from what you wrote, I wouldn't infer that this woman with the CI isn't independent because her mom attended with her to take notes. That's incredibly presumptuous.

I'll have to read this article before I can comment any thoughts of it. This certainly has piqued my curiosity.

Judging from what deafdyke said about the article that the mother is really spoiling her daughter that make the mother think that her daughter can not become independent. She felt like her daughter is a broken child and would not function in the hearing world, even if her daughter had CI. Her daughter is like a baby to her and would not leave her, even when her daughter got to go into college. Yep, her mother tag along with her everywhere she goes. That is terrible that the daughter could not be independent when her mother is breathing down her neck. Her daughter should have a life of her own without the mother, period. Does that mean the mother will not allowed her to get married, drive a car or have a baby? Her mother can not be with her 24/7 like that. It is shameful of the mother to do that to her. Her daughter is not disable for goodness sake. :)

Back