glee tonight

oh dang it - forgot to add a thing. Overall - this episode was interesting... with deaf and hearing together. It's cool to see some deaf exposure on major tv network channel. I want more!

However - I was not pleased about this episode showing high school students performing sexually-suggestive dance. That irks me. I have a strong distaste toward to popular sitcoms filled with sexually-charged contents especially if the sitcoms' geared toward to teens. Yes I know ya'all know me as a dirty old man but that's because I'm older and ya'all are older. Kids should be doing kid stuff and watching kid stuff... not sleeping around or getting knocked up.

again, you'd have to be watching glee from the beginning. besides, it's up to the parents to control what their children watch.. not the television networks.

again, you'd have to be watching glee from the beginning. besides, it's up to the parents to control what their children watch.. not the television networks.

sorry - not interested in glee series. but yea - it's up to parents to decide what they can watch or not but it's sad that tv networks are doing it whatever they like. they do it because the audience demands it. oh well.

sorry - not interested in glee series. but yea - it's up to parents to decide what they can watch or not but it's sad that tv networks are doing it whatever they like. they do it because the audience demands it. oh well.

there's a show on the-n that touches on 'taboo' subjects for kids/teens - degrassi: the next generation. it covers teen pregnancy, sex, drugs, etc.. i followed the first couple of seasons back then when i was around the age of the main characters, and it didn't make me want to do the stuff they were doing. *shrug*

i remember when my parents banned me from watching beavis and butthead when i was very young.. :giggle:

No, you cannot determine anyone's intent without their specific input regarding such. You, just as anyone, could misinterpret based on your own experience and perceptions. The writers perceptions may be completely different from your own, and therefore, his intent may be protrayed differently from what you would expect. And I know that you already realize that intepretation of intent in any kind of writing is a subjective experience based on the reader.

I partially agree with you here. The art of writing requires a fine balance of the author making his/her intention clear, but also leaving room for the reader to interpret that intent. I often use the motto "Show, don't tell" in my class to exemplify this. In other words, don't "tell" the reader what is happening, but try to show it to them so they can create their own meaning from it. There's a trick involved though, and that is keeping all the reader's interpretation in a somewhat pointed direction. Obviously you have to tell enough and show enough that the reader is going to "get" what you want them to say.

When you get reactions from an audience that are as varied as what we are seeing here--that is, complete polar opposites--then I don't think you've done your homework as a writer. That's the other difficult part about writing. You've always got to appeal to as much of your audience as possible. Glee is partially successful in this case. They captured the attention and sympathy of many people, like yourself, but they failed to convince me and many others.

Of course, this is also, in a way, the great thing about writing. If we could appeal to every member of the audience, and make everyone interpret a story, or painting, or picture the same way, then there really would not be a need to create art. Art is about peeling back layers, and getting as deep as possible as we can into what it means to live the human experience, but not arriving at an ultimate and final understanding.

I think it was the two beers I drank at the bar that made me get all philosophical tonight. :hmm: :D

there's a show on the-n that touches on 'taboo' subjects for kids/teens - degrassi: the next generation. it covers teen pregnancy, sex, drugs, etc.. i followed the first couple of seasons back then when i was around the age of the main characters, and it didn't make me want to do the stuff they were doing. *shrug*

i remember when my parents banned me from watching beavis and butthead when i was very young.. :giggle:

huh huh huh huh huh huh huh

You said butt.

huh huh huh huh huh

yuck lol. too much drama for me. Less Talk, More Action.... that's why I like Jackie Chan movies LOL!

GOOD! Although - I was free to watch anything when I was young but I mostly watched something COOL like MacGyver, The A-Team, Knight Rider, CHiPS, etc... and avoided drama sitcom. Maybe it was because I was a late bloomer and I didn't find girls more appealing than guns/bikes/etc. :lol:

I partially agree with you here. The art of writing requires a fine balance of the author making his/her intention clear, but also leaving room for the reader to interpret that intent. I often use the motto "Show, don't tell" in my class to exemplify this. In other words, don't "tell" the reader what is happening, but try to show it to them so they can create their own meaning from it. There's a trick involved though, and that is keeping all the reader's interpretation in a somewhat pointed direction. Obviously you have to tell enough and show enough that the reader is going to "get" what you want them to say.

When you get reactions from an audience that are as varied as what we are seeing here--that is, complete polar opposites--then I don't think you've done your homework as a writer. That's the other difficult part about writing. You've always got to appeal to as much of your audience as possible. Glee is partially successful in this case. They captured the attention and sympathy of many people, like yourself, but they failed to convince me and many others.

Of course, this is also, in a way, the great thing about writing. If we could appeal to every member of the audience, and make everyone interpret a story, or painting, or picture the same way, then there really would not be a need to create art. Art is about peeling back layers, and getting as deep as possible as we can into what it means to live the human experience, but not arriving at an ultimate and final understanding.

I think it was the two beers I drank at the bar that made me get all philosophical tonight. :hmm: :D

Oviously, I haven't gone to bed yet!:giggle:

Agreed, the reactions are coming from both ends of the continuum, and that could very demonstrate unclearness or ambiguity in the writing style. It could also be, perhaps, that when writing about a subject that creates a fundamentally emotional response, one is more apt to get varied reactions.

I don't have the excuse of a beer. Maybe I can blame it on the meds!:P

huh huh huh huh huh huh huh

You said butt.

huh huh huh huh huh

I wouldn't let my son watch them either, but simply because I found them incredibly annoying and was afraid I would throw something at the television!:lol:

oh dang it - forgot to add a thing. Overall - this episode was interesting... with deaf and hearing together. It's cool to see some deaf exposure on major tv network channel. I want more!

However - I was not pleased about this episode showing high school students performing sexually-suggestive dance. That irks me. I have a strong distaste toward to popular sitcoms filled with sexually-charged contents especially if the sitcoms' geared toward to teens. Yes I know ya'all know me as a dirty old man but that's because I'm older and ya'all are older. Kids should be doing kid stuff and watching kid stuff... not sleeping around or getting knocked up.

And not doing suggestive dances.
Dang, do we live in different worlds?
It seems to me that the whole "deafness" idea is moot when one has a surefire crowd pleaser. What a pity. Not that I missed the show but that I am now regretting it, lol.

I just hope Glee doesn't become teens role model! like many singers have, and teens think it is so cool to do the same thing.

In real life, some teens probably get in trouble for a dance like that because it is a against the rules. I personally do not want son to come home and getting in trouble because he saw it on TV and thought it was ok.

I'll ask again: Do you REALLY think an HoH person acts like the way the deaf choir director acted in the scene with the hearing choir director? And you really don't think that he was acting like a jackass? I would be willing to bet that if that scene were showed to 100 hearing people who had no exposure to deafness, the majority of them would say he acted like a jackass.

Now, I am a writer and teacher of writing, and I most certainly can determine their intent, or their attempted intent. Only a poor writer is not able to clearly show his/her intent. So it's either one of two cases here: shitty writing, or shitty intent. I tend to think it's a little of both.

depends. If people feel no one is listening, they tend to make a fool out themselves or act like a meanie. Even hearing people can act that way.

I just hope Glee doesn't become teens role model! like many singers have, and teens think it is so cool to do the same thing.

In real life, some teens probably get in trouble for a dance like that because it is a against the rules. I personally do not want son to come home and getting in trouble because he saw it on TV and thought it was ok.

you have the option of restricting his television access, though. it's not up to the television network to babysit your kids.

you have the option of restricting his television access, though. it's not up to the television network to babysit your kids.

Just hope your teen don't get in a fight with you or figure out your password and such.

Easy said than done. But I don't have a teen so I don't know how easy it is to restrict them.

But I don't let my 8 years old watch these sort of things anyway.

Just hope your teen don't get in a fight with you or figure out your password and such.

Easy said than done. But I don't have a teen so I don't know how easy it is to restrict them.

But I don't let my 8 years old watch these sort of things anyway.

they're gonna learn all these things from their peers anyway.. i learned more than what i could get from television through my friends. it's inevitable.

they're gonna learn all these things from their peers anyway.. i learned more than what i could get from television through my friends. it's inevitable.

I learned about sex from my friend's older brother. He gathered us neighborhood girls when we were 10 years old (he was 13) and showed us a Playboy magazine that another friend gave it to him. That was without computers and cable!

It's a popular Canadian show. The original Degrassi was pretty intense for a TV show intended for the teenagers. The new one is too, but it didn't make the wave like the original did.

It's a popular Canadian show. The original Degrassi was pretty intense for a TV show intended for the teenagers. The new one is too, but it didn't make the wave like the original did.

degrassi junior high? i remember seeing some episodes in 7th grade health class. i watched all of the episodes last year on DVDs. i loved degrassi junior high and the next generation until i stopped watching it (i think i stopped at the end of the third season), haha. i read that there's a whole new cast and everything.. it's going to be the same thing again.

Thats one thing when kids get ideas from other kids, but it's another when you have adults putting these shows together, making it appear Like it is no big deal.

but oh well.

Back