GLBT Sign Language?

I really dont have a personal preference. I can certainly understand how someone might perceive some of the signs as being rather un-pc. But personally, I am not in any manner offended by any of the above signs.

WhiteWolves64 -- thank u for posting the pixs for the sign for "transgender" altho this thread is old and yep am aware of that sign for a while now :)

Very interestin' about GLBT sign language. I've never seen one like this before. Wonderin' if, it is old sign language for transgender, glbt, and etc., etc. ?

Very interestin' about GLBT sign language. I've never seen one like this before. Wonderin' if, it is old sign language for transgender, glbt, and etc., etc. ?

CyberRed... No, this is not old sign for transgender but it has been around for about 3 to 4 years now and it was started by TG (transgender) woman from UK (London) that new sign that gave to Dragosani Riveria - Famous Deaf FTM (female to male) when he was in RAD in Flordia in couple of years ago and the TG woman told Drago that new sign is polite and clean for people to use rather using the old "X" sign that makes people thinks that insulting or dirty word for international wide sign language user for transgender.....And that the old sign which was like using X sign on cheek move down to chin in backward X sign.... let me demostrate you in the pictures that what i am talking about.... For the sign of GLBT is mostly likely use gay "G" on chin, lesbian "L" on chin, Bisexual in fingerspelling "BI", transgender either "X" from cheek to chin (see pic below) or "beautiful in the chest" (see previous pic).... or people sign in fingerspelling "gay", "lesbian", "bi", "transgender" ....like that...

WhiteWolves64 ;)

Attachments

• old transgender sign language 002.jpg
    old transgender sign language 002.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1
  • old transgender sign language 003.jpg
    old transgender sign language 003.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 0
  • old transgender sign language 004.jpg
    old transgender sign language 004.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 0
Oh, wow ! Very interestin' ! Now, I get the idea. Thanks for the demonstratin' for me. :)
Oh, by the way - is there any link I could learn it from ? I would very much like to learn since it is new to me. :ty: WhiteWolves64

To me that TRANSGENDER sign doesn't really look like getting the breasts removed, but has a sense of "feeling beautiful inside." That's how I'll remember it anyway, although most likely I'll use the older change-X sign with people who still use it.

I can't use the older change-X sign because none of my friends, at least the ones from the West Coast, use it. When somebody does use it, I find it disconcerting. Generally, I use the new sign for TRANSGENDER although I "re-open" my dominant hand after I close it. Once I showed it to my friend, a native signer of Taiwanese SL, and he thought it resembled a blossoming flower. :D

CyberRed... No, this is not old sign for transgender but it has been around for about 3 to 4 years now and it was started by TG (transgender) woman from UK (London) that new sign that gave to Dragosani Riveria - Famous Deaf FTM (female to male) when he was in RAD in Flordia in couple of years ago and the TG woman told Drago that new sign is polite and clean for people to use rather using the old "X" sign that makes people thinks that insulting or dirty word for international wide sign language user for transgender.....And that the old sign which was like using X sign on cheek move down to chin in backward X sign.... let me demostrate you in the pictures that what i am talking about.... For the sign of GLBT is mostly likely use gay "G" on chin, lesbian "L" on chin, Bisexual in fingerspelling "BI", transgender either "X" from cheek to chin (see pic below) or "beautiful in the chest" (see previous pic).... or people sign in fingerspelling "gay", "lesbian", "bi", "transgender" ....like that...

WhiteWolves64 ;)

I think you mean Drago RENTERIA :) I saw him talk about this at a workshop he gave. He explained that a group of deaf transgender people met together at RAD '03 conference in Orlando and together they decided to adopt that new sign for transgender. I think it is a nice sign, better than the old x-chin sign.

I learned so much from his workshop. It really open my eyes about transgender people. I'm much more open mind now and really respect what you go through.

for people who changed their sex, I sign "sex" but I use the "x" on top in right way, then I twist the X backwards when I moved it down. Like "changed" whilst signing sex with one hand.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I do remember Drago mentioned your way of "sex" signing on cheek is defition of transexual but as for transgender is on chest like WhiteWolves64 mentioned...

I've always used double x's turning around. Like from one sex (X) to another (X).

Correct me if I'm wrong, I do remember Drago mentioned your way of "sex" signing on cheek is defition of transexual but as for transgender is on chest like WhiteWolves64 mentioned...

What I remember clearly from the workshop was that the x-chin/x-cheek sign is no longer used at all. He explained because it has very negative connotations like old sign for homosexual. Also it is not all about sex or sex changes, which the old sign seems to emphasis. There is more to being transgender. Transgender sign can include transsexual. Also I think he used letters "T" and "S" (spelling) if you are speaking only about transexuals.

What I remember clearly from the workshop was that the x-chin/x-cheek sign is no longer used at all. He explained because it has very negative connotations like old sign for homosexual. Also it is not all about sex or sex changes, which the old sign seems to emphasis. There is more to being transgender. Transgender sign can include transsexual. Also I think he used letters "T" and "S" (spelling) if you are speaking only about transexuals.

Probably it was that... thanks for reminding a young old fart who attended a workshop in NWRAD camp in fall 2004.

The use of the "X" sign on the cheek is offensive? Pls let me know so I can stop using it. Interesting!

Oh, wow ! Very interestin' ! Now, I get the idea. Thanks for the demonstratin' for me. :)
Oh, by the way - is there any link I could learn it from ? I would very much like to learn since it is new to me. :ty: WhiteWolves64

Did anyone ever answer Marias question?

Back