Getting CI- Confused not sure what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not applicable. I did not attempt to explain her response as you are doing but rather, asked her what she meant by it.

boy you are having trouble keeping up tonight!

I didn't explain her post, either. I said it was self explanatory. And I did not address my post to you. Read carefully.

I have no idea on what "state" the clients of Jillio seek her advice- which area of their life are their "concern".
Why would I seek Dr Phil's advice on whether I should get an Implant? I knew from CHS/Toronto that I did "fit the criteria" for one- before I went to Sunnybrook/Toronto. They obviously confirmed that-I was successful in getting one. CBT is about your thinking and don't I consider anything wrong with my thinking on this matter-at all!
I am quite prepared to live with my free personal actions.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

I have no idea on what "state" the clients of Jillio seek her advice- which area of their life are their "concern".
Why would I seek Dr Phil's advice on whether I should get an Implant? I knew from CHS/Toronto that I did "fit the criteria" for one- before I went to Sunnybrook/Toronto. They obviously confirmed that-I was successful in getting one. CBT is about your thinking and don't I consider anything wrong with my thinking on this matter-at all!

All areas of their life are their concern.

What is it with the misreading tonight? Who said you should seek Dr. Phil's advise on whether you should get an implant?

CBT is more than that. I thought you knew that. Your previous remark showed that you did not.

Cool. Go on with your life then, and stop arguing about the topic.

All areas of one's life are their "concern"- Psychoanalysis? Gee hope one wins the Lottery to pay for "constipated discussion with no terminal end"! Right-wrong diapers at fault.
My reference to Dr Phil could have been any psychologist as what to do given the fact of bilateral deafness. Obviously i didn't consider such as relevant at the time! Still don't!
My life as such still continues as usual- now that I have my Cochlear Implant. Which is part is why i requested it!
The discussion of whether there is such a condition as "deaf- physical non-pathological" is only within the context of ideological/sociological writings on par as to say- "feminism etc". Real? Important time- rechargeable battery needs recharging-just ran out. Deaf time again. No problem.

I talked to my audi and ent last week about Ci's and both said that all three would be good choices.
as far as a good inbiased look at all three take a look at this link.
Choosing a brand « I look so I can hear….
it is an excellent BLOG with a lot of very good information.
If you go to a forum that is sponsored by a particular CI company then you are going to read opinions about how great thier product is. I don't think there is anything wrong with product loyalty as long as you don't bash another company. Hearing journey is sponsored by AB so naturally most of the people on that forum are pro AB. I am sure that if Cochlear ever sponsors a forum, most of those people will be pro cochlear.
In the end I think it comes down to personal preference. each person has thier own reasons for choosing the CI brand that they do, or not choosing one at all.
I think it is a little unfair to say that CI companies are trying to make a buck off of the Deaf community. They are there to provide the opportunity for somebody who is hard of hearing or Deaf to hear better. Each of the three companies are for profit companies so in order for them to stay in business they have to charge for thier services. We all know technology aint cheap. They don't go around making cold calls or showing up at a deaf persons door trying to get them to get an implant. When I had my hearing tested they gave me all the options that I had available. Once I make a choice to go forward with an implant, they will get the ball rolling. if I decide not to get one they will say ok and we will look at Hearing aids. I do not have a CI. My CI evaluation is Jan. 19th. I am hard of hearing right now. I am 42 years old and didn't start to lose my hearing until about 15 years ago. My ENT has made it perfectly clear that it is my decision. There is plenty of good info out there, you just have to take the time to look. there are sites where the info is slanted towards one company but there is also a lot of good unbiased info out there as well. I wish you good luck in your search.

adam

adam,

i agree with u that all companies are good. there are many ways of gettin biased information and it took me 6 months to decide on my future ci brand. each company will say there product is the best. its all down to personal choice at the end of the day. i hate when people bash other companies and say x is better than y.
in my opinion , how well the implant works is alot to do with the person themselves, period of of hearing loss and loss levels. i beleive the history is a huge factor.
best of luck whatever u do adam,
nichola
i

I agree 100%. Each person is different and chooses ci's for different reasons. Some want upgradability, some are more comfortable with a company that has been around for a very long time and others choose based on the look of the processor and how it feels. It is a very personal decision for each individual and it is not my place to say your making the wrong decision or that company stinks you need to go with this one. It is a decision that will affect that person for the rest of thier lives so we need to be very careful when it comes to expressing our opinions or telling them what they need to do.

I when to doctor and he told I was a good candidate for CI and that he would call set up an appointment for me at Mass General hospital , this was about 4 months ago. I still have not gotten a phone call back about an appointment! I did not call the DR back as I decided not get the CI. I was going to have it my right ear, but I have a lot pain on the right side of head from an auto accident. I am concerned that having a CI would cause me to have more pain. I was told my left ear is really not going a lot for me and that I do not have a lot of hearing in my right . I am not able to wear a HA in my right ear as I have TMJ ear is swollen inside .

I guess in reading the above- I was lucky to live in Ontario where Cochlear Implants are in designated areas of the province. Toronto which is serviced by Sunnybrook
My appointment there was only 2 weeks later from another ENT clinic-St Michaels- who didn't discuss Cochlear Implants at all but did confirm I was bilateral deaf. Sunnybrook has doing this for 18 years-lots of experience. From a recent C I Patients meeting- 850 person implanted and a rejection rate of 60% of one reason or other over that time period.
Perhaps a follow up to Mass General Hospital as the reason for the long delay could be a start of real discussions. Given the state of your right ear-hard to believe a doctor would consider implanting there.
Good luck.

I do at least 20 hours of volunteer work a week. I work for the only agency in this area that sees indigent mental health clients. I do pro bono work in educational advocacy anytime a parent can't afford to pay for my services. The rest of the time I get paid. I have to eat and have a place to live, just like everyone. However, I do not, nor will I ever resort to, trying to help people from my own perspective. I help them from their perspective. I do not inflate expectations regarding what my treatment provides.

Now, let's hear about the contributions you make to the deaf community other than marketing CI's. If you are reliant on that community buying your wares, you should be giving back to the community that supports you.

I am one of those people that also needs to eat and have a place to live. I think that is why I work for money.

For the rest of it, you take some pretty big leaps of what you seem to think you know about me. First, you have no clue what I do or don't do from a philanthropic perspective so you should now assume. Secondly, I do not market CIs. Nice try but it is quite funny that with your online psycoanalyis of me you came up with the wrong answer. As I said, I am involved on the research side with nothing to do with a CI. I could care less if you buy a HA, CI or anything else. It makes no difference to me if I eat or have place to live.

You make many assumptions and you might know what they say about assume...

C1

I am one of those people that also needs to eat and have a place to live. I think that is why I work for money.

For the rest of it, you take some pretty big leaps of what you seem to think you know about me. First, you have no clue what I do or don't do from a philanthropic perspective so you should now assume. Secondly, I do not market CIs. Nice try but it is quite funny that with your online psycoanalyis of me you came up with the wrong answer. As I said, I am involved on the research side with nothing to do with a CI. I could care less if you buy a HA, CI or anything else. It makes no difference to me if I eat or have place to live.

C1

I know right.. making assumptions on people by a few post's they make online surely is professionalism at it's finest. lol

C1

yo noob, think about this for a second, if nobody wanted CI's there wouldnt be that much of a research for you, so thus resulting in no job.

So there.. there is a reason youre pushing for it.. Money, indeed.

All areas of one's life are their "concern"- Psychoanalysis? Gee hope one wins the Lottery to pay for "constipated discussion with no terminal end"! Right-wrong diapers at fault.
My reference to Dr Phil could have been any psychologist as what to do given the fact of bilateral deafness. Obviously i didn't consider such as relevant at the time! Still don't!
My life as such still continues as usual- now that I have my Cochlear Implant. Which is part is why i requested it!
The discussion of whether there is such a condition as "deaf- physical non-pathological" is only within the context of ideological/sociological writings on par as to say- "feminism etc". Real? Important time- rechargeable battery needs recharging-just ran out. Deaf time again. No problem.

Perhaps one day you will find the courage to remove those self serving blinders you wear.

C1

If i have no clue, then tell me. I already asked you that more than once, and you have continually failed to answer. You have also been deliberately less than forthcoming about your profession and what it entails. Tells me, and others, that you are attempting to hide something you know would reveal less than altruistic motive on your part.

yo noob, think about this for a second, if nobody wanted CI's there wouldnt be that much of a research for you, so thus resulting in no job.

Absolutely. And the poster already knows that, which is why he attempts to disquise things with rhetoric instead of being up front and honest.

Sorry Jillio I don't have self serving blinders because I don't agree with you. Isn't that grandiose thinking?
Have you checked your own thinking? Yeah I know one can't be their therapist-correct?
Consider Dr Phil on one of his TV programme yeah even free coffee in L A. Peteski/Harpo
Productions Inc. website: drphil.com

Absolutely. And the poster already knows that, which is why he attempts to disquise things with rhetoric instead of being up front and honest.

If I told you where I worked, then you would take anything I say as the opinion of where I work. What I say is my opinion and no-one elses. Therefore, where I work I will not disclose and frankly doesn't matter.

People can take what I say for what its worth. It is an opinion that was posted that they can read free of charge. I you doubt any technical information I have posted, feel free to disregard it. For those that aren't so opinionated, they may actually learn something.

C1

Did you read where I said I have "nothing to do with CI"? You quoted it.

But, you make good ad hominem attacks. Best way ever to prove superiority of knowledge is starting with "yo noob" to discredit people.

C1.

Did you read where I said I have "nothing to do with CI"? You quoted it.

But, you make good ad hominem attacks. Best way ever to prove superiority of knowledge is starting with "yo noob" to discredit people.

C1.

Funny deflection. You basically admitted I was correct. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back