Getting CI- Confused not sure what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nichola: On the question whether to consider a Cochlear Implant revolves around your Hearing Loss level-eg Profound which is 85db. and not much upside with your current Hearing Aid.This is a medical fact.
As you know SpeechReading includes Hearing as well as "reading lip movements". In my case I took Speechreading at Cdn Hearing Society/Toronto-Feb/Mar/07- while waiting for the process for getting an Implant at Sunnybrook/Toronto. I scored 20% less than previous tests. I had just became bilateral deaf in Dec/06.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Nichola,

I felt that my hearing and communication has gotten better since I got the CI. Maybe one possibility is to just get one CI and leave the other ear open for future developments.

over the pond- i meant to post that to you not deaf gal. sorry
if ur in the uk u get your upgrade every five years? when are u due upgrade. i dont get upgrades in ireland, but i sure will fork out the money when the newest thing becomes available.
nichola

Hi Nichola, In New Zealand will get upgrade their speech processor for every 5 years (for free - Govt pay for it). 4 more years then upgrade into N5.

Wirelessly posted

I understand what your going through because I went through similar situation when I was researching what brand of CI to get. I got mine activated a year ago.

I'll tell you why I went with contest America. The first reason was that I knew a few people that had a CI and all of them had cochlear freedom and they where all happy with them. That was obviously a big plus for me with it coming from people I know.

The second reason was that the nucleus five had just come out and I liked the features it had such as being smaller, stronger material (two of my friend with the freedom did tell me they've had theirs crack before). So I figured bring made of stronger material would also be a good thing. And I admit I'm a bit of a gadget geek and liked the idea of the remote control it came with.

The third reason, and for me the moist important is the fact that this brand had the longest standing reputation and most do get this brand. I think my Audi said about 70% get this brand.

So those where my main deciding factors. Now having said all that I'm sure all three brands have their pros and cons. All three work and there ate people who are happy with all of them.

On a side note i do have to admit that the recalls AB has had does make me glad I didn't go with them.

Ron Jaxon

From reading Michael Chorost's book: Rebuilt much history of the the cochlear implant was done by Cochlear Corp-Australia. With continued improvement also" comes the something goes wrong with them"-the latest with Advanced Bionics, Though I have a Advanced Bionics-Harmony as recommended by the Sunnybrook/Toronto Implant team- I have no complaints. I have already crossed 3 years of service. I have NOT received any notification from Advanced Bionics about "defects" in mine- to date. I have mentioned before-irony no doubt-most of the information about cochlear implants I had came from Cochlear Corporation-1998 booklet on their products! Yeah also never heard of Advanced Bionics or Med El either.

Wirelessly posted

I understand what your going through because I went through similar situation when I was researching what brand of CI to get. I got mine activated a year ago.

I'll tell you why I went with contest America. The first reason was that I knew a few people that had a CI and all of them had cochlear freedom and they where all happy with them. That was obviously a big plus for me with it coming from people I know.

The second reason was that the nucleus five had just come out and I liked the features it had such as being smaller, stronger material (two of my friend with the freedom did tell me they've had theirs crack before). So I figured bring made of stronger material would also be a good thing. And I admit I'm a bit of a gadget geek and liked the idea of the remote control it came with.

The third reason, and for me the moist important is the fact that this brand had the longest standing reputation and most do get this brand. I think my Audi said about 70% get this brand.

So those where my main deciding factors. Now having said all that I'm sure all three brands have their pros and cons. All three work and there ate people who are happy with all of them.

On a side note i do have to admit that the recalls AB has had does make me glad I didn't go with them.

Ron Jaxon

Hi Ron, thanks, you meant Cochlear America, right, it looks like you have same spelling software I have in my Iphone it keeps changing the words I type, LOL
So you said you had your implant for a year now, can you please tell me how was your hearing before and how the implant is working for you at this point, how much improvement did it give you?

From reading Michael Chorost's book: Rebuilt much history of the the cochlear implant was done by Cochlear Corp-Australia. With continued improvement also" comes the something goes wrong with them"-the latest with Advanced Bionics, Though I have a Advanced Bionics-Harmony as recommended by the Sunnybrook/Toronto Implant team- I have no complaints. I have already crossed 3 years of service. I have NOT received any notification from Advanced Bionics about "defects" in mine- to date. I have mentioned before-irony no doubt-most of the information about cochlear implants I had came from Cochlear Corporation-1998 booklet on their products! Yeah also never heard of Advanced Bionics or Med El either.

I did not like his book and I just borrowed it never bought it, he tries his best not to say anything online about his experience so he forces people to buy his book and he makes $$$ out of us, even in his book there is not much to help people like us most of his writing were about his opinion which I care nothing about, my advise do not buy his book, try to get it free from someone for a day or two, not worth it.

I did not like his book and I just borrowed it never bought it, he tries his best not to say anything online about his experience so he forces people to buy his book and he makes $$$ out of us, even in his book there is not much to help people like us most of his writing were about his opinion which I care nothing about, my advise do not buy his book, try to get it free from someone for a day or two, not worth it.

He's written a number of articles you don't need to purchase. His 2005 article in Wired magazine was the first I'd ever heard of a CI and I only really understood it later when we discovered that my child was deaf -- I had to look up that article to figure out what to ask my daughter's ENT about.

Well- FI885- I have read his book- 3 different times- which is in the Toronto Public library. Yeah I even read Harlan Lane et al Journey to the Deaf world which is entirely different! Like you I disagree in part with Chorost's proposition that the implant has created a cybourg of himself. I don't think so at all. I still think the same way BEFORE being implanted in 2007.My journey to getting deaf is entirely different than his-I didn't have German measles but was from a "genetic cause" - my father.
I STILL THINK IT IS WORTH READING- history of the development of the Cochlear Implant, his experiences getting his implant and subsequent reactions after implantation.
I have not read any other articles from Michael Chorost.

Sorry for the duplication A rather different book is Beverly Biderman Wired for Sound' Her journey to hearing.

Ding. Ding. Ding. There is profit in everything sold.

Do you work for free?? If you do then you can talk to me about my ethics of getting paid for what I do. If you don't work for free, why not?

C1

I do at least 20 hours of volunteer work a week. I work for the only agency in this area that sees indigent mental health clients. I do pro bono work in educational advocacy anytime a parent can't afford to pay for my services. The rest of the time I get paid. I have to eat and have a place to live, just like everyone. However, I do not, nor will I ever resort to, trying to help people from my own perspective. I help them from their perspective. I do not inflate expectations regarding what my treatment provides.

Now, let's hear about the contributions you make to the deaf community other than marketing CI's. If you are reliant on that community buying your wares, you should be giving back to the community that supports you.

Jilllio: that is interesting that you "help them from their perspective-- nondirective? Do you "assist/help" deal with the fact of "deafness" from THEIR perspective: the rejection of your theory of "cultural deafness"? Another instance of non directiveness?
Does commenting in alldeaf .com suggests one needs "psychological consulting" in the first place?
In my work life-I was employed as an accountant. I am now retired. I have never met Philip C McGraw PhD-either. To clarify from a closed thread.

Jilllio: that is interesting that you "help them from their perspective-- nondirective? Do you "assist/help" deal with the fact of "deafness" from THEIR perspective: the rejection of your theory of "cultural deafness"? Another instance of non directiveness?
Does commenting in alldeaf .com suggests one needs "psychological consulting" in the first place?
In my work life-I was employed as an accountant. I am now retired. I have never met Philip C McGraw PhD-either. To clarify from a closed thread.

If they reject the idea of cultural deafness, and prefer to see themselves as limited and disabled, then I assist them in learning to live the fullest life they can with the identity they choose. I present other options, but it is the client's choice.

Posting in alldeaf, in and of itself does not suggest need for psychological evaluation. However, what is stated in those posts often gives a clear picture of the thought process and emotional state of the poster.

Just as an accountant can see someone who lives in low cost / subsidized housing, wearing worn clothing and driving a 20 year old car, and talking about the difficulty of managing the little money they have each month can assume that person is in the lower SES category and probably not in need of accounting services.

To clarify: all therapy is non-directive. You are getting the wrong impression of the therapuetic process from watching too much Dr. Phil. We never tell out clients what to do. We help them find the answers that allow them to live more comfortably. Autonomy is always respected, and clients are the ones who make the choice. Even if they choose not to get better.

More interesting thoughts on nondirectiveness psychology- why would anyone see a "helping person'; if they reject their opinions which is why they consulted them- in the first place? Odd: it never occurred to me to consult a psychologist when I became deaf in Dec/07. I arranged for an referral to Cochlear Implant section-Sunnybrook/Toronto. which to me was the appropriate way to deal with my deafness.
As you know Dr Phil is NOT doing "therapeutic process" on TV. He always refer someone to appropriate professional person. I was not in public accounting/auditing and never offered my services that way. What I did then has little bearing on my life today-fiscal wise. I do use that knowledge in keeping track all payments, however.
Rejecting "cultural deafness" only shifts to what is possible in reality-Cochlear Implants or utilizing ASL OR live a quiet/silent life similar to Trappists monks. Ones choice. Why would anyone need a extended discussion with a psychologist/social workers? Seems to be more pertinent to consult an ENT doctor/ Audiologist-instead.
To evaluate some comments here in alldeaf.com might be an interesting parlour game but to what end? Doesn't the context have any bearing?

More interesting thoughts on nondirectiveness psychology- why would anyone see a "helping person'; if they reject their opinions which is why they consulted them- in the first place? Odd: it never occurred to me to consult a psychologist when I became deaf in Dec/07. I arranged for an referral to Cochlear Implant section-Sunnybrook/Toronto. which to me was the appropriate way to deal with my deafness.
As you know Dr Phil is NOT doing "therapeutic process" on TV. He always refer someone to appropriate professional person. I was not in public accounting/auditing and never offered my services that way. What I did then has little bearing on my life today-fiscal wise. I do use that knowledge in keeping track all payments, however.
Rejecting "cultural deafness" only shifts to what is possible in reality-Cochlear Implants or utilizing ASL OR live a quiet/silent life similar to Trappists monks. Ones choice. Why would anyone need a extended discussion with a psychologist/social workers? Seems to be more pertinent to consult an ENT doctor/ Audiologist-instead.
To evaluate some comments here in alldeaf.com might be an interesting parlour game but to what end? Doesn't the context have any bearing?

Duh. You are really making some absurd statements regarding therapy.

Of course it didn't occur to you to seek therapy. Of course you contacted a CI center as the first round of defense. That is because you have a pathological view that is seems to be inherent in most hearing people.

You keep placing limits on other choices. Those limits simply do not exist...except in your own mind and the way you perceive deafness.

Interesting that you HAVE NOT explained what a NON pathological view of deafness is! How does it occur? As for limits in dealing with deafness not considered eg: Cochlear Implant OR use ASL OR ignore condition-what other possibility is there- excluding dying-of course-?
Does reality place limits on one's choice?
As for my actual experience of deafness-silence-what other physical condition is there? Is there various difference in what other persons experience as deafness? How does this fit in the "non pathological" supposition?
Even more interesting- don't ever recall reading about this anywhere- secret why?

Interesting that you HAVE NOT explained what a NON pathological view of deafness is! How does it occur? As for limits in dealing with deafness not considered eg: Cochlear Implant OR use ASL OR ignore condition-what other possibility is there- excluding dying-of course-?
Does reality place limits on one's choice?
As for my actual experience of deafness-silence-what other physical condition is there? Is there various difference in what other persons experience as deafness? How does this fit in the "non pathological" supposition?
Even more interesting- don't ever recall reading about this anywhere- secret why?

It has been explained numerous times in this thread and elsewhere. Just because you refuse to see it, or cannot grasp the concept, does not mean that it has not been explained. Additionally, the literature is out there. Your not reading it does not mean it does not exist.

Here's a thought. Do a little research to find out which company has more recalls. I get FDA email alerts on product recalls. It's a free service that you can sign up for on FDA website. There was a recall of a particular CI about a week ago. You can find details at the FDA website. The company with the better track record of fewer recalls would look better to me.

NON pathological view of deafness

I'm fine just the way I am. I do not need to be "fixed." I'm a person, not an appliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back