Getting CI- Confused not sure what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they reject the idea of cultural deafness, and prefer to see themselves as limited and disabled,...

Is that how you see deaf people who choose not to identify themselves as Deaf? I know deaf individuals, some of whom have been on this forum, who for various reasons may not embrace Deaf Culture, but neither view themselves as "limited" nor "disabled".

We never cease to be persons because we became/are deaf. However the question is: how does one DEAL WITH THE FACT OF DEAFNESS? Yeah one can relabel and claim it is non pathological but reality is: what is it? Again how one deals with this fact doesn't change the "condition". If one gets an Cochlear Implant DOESN'T alter THE FACT that THEY are STILL A PERSON. Likewise USING ASL one is STILL A PERSON. In the other circumstance doing NOTHING YOU ARE STILL A PERSON. One is exercising their free choice. Up to you whichever- you are still a free person-wise?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Is that how you see deaf people who choose not to identify themselves as Deaf? I know deaf individuals, some of whom have been on this forum, who for various reasons may not embrace Deaf Culture, but neither view themselves as "limited" nor "disabled".

Where did I say that? I believe I said "from their perspective." Read carefully.

We never cease to be persons because we became/are deaf. However the question is: how does one DEAL WITH THE FACT OF DEAFNESS? Yeah one can relabel and claim it is non pathological but reality is: what is it? Again how one deals with this fact doesn't change the "condition". If one gets an Cochlear Implant DOESN'T alter THE FACT that THEY are STILL A PERSON. Likewise USING ASL one is STILL A PERSON. In the other circumstance doing NOTHING YOU ARE STILL A PERSON. One is exercising their free choice. Up to you whichever- you are still a free person-wise?

I thought you were well informed regarding CBT techniques and theory. One of the primary interventions of CBT is thought restructuring. Maybe you need a few more episodes of Dr. Phil.

Where did I say that? I believe I said "from their perspective." Read carefully.

I did and that is why I sought clarification. Is it their perspective or your interpretation of their perspective?

Looks pretty self explanatory to me.

But I was not asking you.

Why not let the poster explain her own words or are you just one of those hearing persons who feels the need to speak on behalf of all who are deaf?

In adulthood, I am a free person. :) I had to fight for that right. Jillio sees a lot of people like me, I think.

She doesn't have clients like you who always knew they were a free person.

But I was not asking you.

Why not let the poster explain her own words or are you just one of those hearing persons who feels the need to speak on behalf of all who are deaf?

She already explained it. That's the point.:lol:

One more time: it is their perspective.

OK let's try it one more time. Do these people actually tell you that they view themselves as limited and/or disabled or is it your interpretation that they view themselves that way?

In adulthood, I am a free person. :) I had to fight for that right. Jillio sees a lot of people like me, I think.

She doesn't have clients like you who always knew they were a free person.

Exactly. It is about empowerment.

OK let's try it one more time. Do these people actually tell you that they view themselves as limited and/or disabled or is it your interpretation that they view themselves that way?

Why do you continue to ask the same question over and over when you have already been given an answer? Is it difficulty with English across the board, or just a problem with reading comprehension?

Why do you continue to ask the same question over and over when you have already been given an answer? Is it difficulty with English across the board, or just a problem with reading comprehension?

Because the answer given does not answer the question. Insults and defensiveness, signs that you are trying to divert attention away from not responding to the question being asked.

Because the answer given does not answer the question. Insults and defensiveness, signs that you are trying to divert attention away from not responding to the question being asked.

Nope. Her answer was clear and concise. It just didn't say what you wanted it to.:laugh2:

No, that's you saying that she has. Again, I am asking her and not you, so shut your mouth.

BTW...she was replying to drphil, not you. Might try heeding your own advice.

Nope. Her answer was clear and concise. It just didn't say what you wanted it to.:laugh2:

"Her answer"?? Losing track of the discussion are you? We were talking about your responses. :)

Seems you are having trouble keeping up tonight.

BTW...she was replying to drphil, not you. Might try heeding your own advice.

Not applicable. I did not attempt to explain her response as you are doing but rather, asked her what she meant by it.

boy you are having trouble keeping up tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back