Gallaudet

I've talked to a few people that didn't like Gallaudet, but that was because they were socially weak. They didn't like to go out and meet people at all, if someone tried to introduce themselves they would walk away. Really not Deaf culture but thats how they felt.

Personally I'm hearing and hope to study there in a few years, everyone I've talked to said I've got a chance to get in.

Interesting thread here.

I have some of German deafies & HOH told me about their 2 to 3 years experience in Gallaudet. Of course they told me about cons/pros about Gallaudet.

They received warm and friendly welcome from US deafies. They have the feeling that its hugh difference between Americans and Europe but they are learn to accept their cultures.

They said also that there're alot of voilences around and no good atmopshere.

They said about Tutors, is a big difference from Germany.

Anyway, they went back to Germany with US Diploma. Therefore the US diplomas are not enough to German diplomas so they made other 2 years in Essen, Germany to get right diploma. They noticed the difference where they visited Essen and Germany and would say that German University for the deaf is the best and have plenty of patience.

dying to visit gallaudet. looking to get in in a few years actually. how hard is it for a fluently signing hearing person with a falt out A & B average with maybe one C to get in?
:rolleyes: why an i asking this here? lol

Liebling:-))) said:
Interesting thread here.

I have some of German deafies & HOH told me about their 2 to 3 years experience in Gallaudet. Of course they told me about cons/pros about Gallaudet.

They received warm and friendly welcome from US deafies. They have the feeling that its hugh difference between Americans and Europe but they are learn to accept their cultures.

They said also that there're alot of voilences around and no good atmopshere.

They said about Tutors, is a big difference from Germany.

Anyway, they went back to Germany with US Diploma. Therefore the US diplomas are not enough to German diplomas so they made other 2 years in Essen, Germany to get right diploma. They noticed the difference where they visited Essen and Germany and would say that German University for the deaf is the best and have plenty of patience.

May 21 to June 11 I will be in Germany at Hamburg to learn DGE. Let's see with your comments matched when I get to the Germany. Hopefully you are right! :)

If your resume has "Gallaudet" on it, interviewers will put it in a trash can.

oakbluffs said:
Wow. That reminds me of what my friends told me sometimes ago that they didn't get the jobs because of that. I believe that was stupid reason.

I remember one friend of mine who had a interview at company, one interviewer took a peek at resume and asked my friend if "Gallaudet" is a diaper company in England.

Honestly, I am thinking of attending at Gallaudet for only one year to see for myself. But wasting DVR's money or grants on it? That's something for me to think about. I visited there countless times but as a visitor, not student... I am sure that I missed most of these stuffs that Gallaudet students have experienced or will experience.

Crazymanw00t said:
May 21 to June 11 I will be in Germany at Hamburg to learn DGE. Let's see with your comments matched when I get to the Germany. Hopefully you are right! :)

wow, Hamburg is over 700 km away from my home.

I would love to listen your comments what you think of German students. Of course I see nothing wrong that you want to compare your country with my country. :thumb:

I'm looking forward to hear update news from you. :thumb:

Yeah there was a gallaudet deaf graduate student who was trying to be
a social worker at the counseling center to help
people cope with depression....

And counseling center put her on hold,,, cause
she didn't get much requirement of training
in order to be a social worker....

It is just a part time job... I don't know why the counseling
center people are giving her a hard time.

Morton Warnow of Modern Deaf Communication, Inc. has documented that Gallaudet University has one of the worst job placement rates for a deaf school.

Richard

Nesmuth said:
Morton Warnow of Modern Deaf Communication, Inc. has documented that Gallaudet University has one of the worst job placement rates for a deaf school.

Richard
According to many researches which indicated that Texas is the worst state ever in America history and yet people moved in there anyway.

My point being is that Gallaudet may have the poor job placement rate, it still will not stop others to enroll and graduate only because there are some Gallaudet-graduated students would perform the jobs 100 times better than some MIT-graduated students.

oakbluffs said:

Not always true.. My husband graduated from Gallaudet and he got this fabulous job! I believe it all depends on their experiences and performances...

I graudated from Gallaudet. Right after I graduate, I got a job, and been working on that job for almost 7 years. I am computer programmer (got BA in Computer Science).

For the interview thing, I think they look at your experience, not your school. I might be wrong but it is based off my experience when it come to interview.

gdquinn said:
I graudated from Gallaudet. Right after I graduate, I got a job, and been working on that job for almost 7 years. I am computer programmer (got BA in Computer Science).

For the interview thing, I think they look at your experience, not your school. I might be wrong but it is based off my experience when it come to interview.

Amen. You could go to Harvard for all I know, blow your mind on pot and never get anywhere in life. Conversely, I know plenty of people who quite successful with just a high-school education.

People who disparage Gallaudet forget one very important point: Gallaudet graduates are deaf and we have the SAME problems that the larger deaf community has in terms of jobs.

-N

I've been in Gally for five years and I graudated from Model Secondary School for the Deaf. Yeah, there's a lot of gays in Gally but it doesn't bother me at all. After I graudated from MSSD, I got offers from Gally and RIT but I picked RIT.

oakbluffs said:
That is funny. But I do not believe it to be entirely true. It deftinteley is not true when you apply to a deaf school, or apply for an ASL teacher/professor postition at a college/university. You must understand Gallaudet's strengths and weaknesses.

Crazymanw00t said:
I am freshman at Gallaudet University. I really enjoy it very much. I am expecting to have 3.75 GPA with five classes. I am major into History Major. I played starter for Gallaudet Football as center. I involved three different organizations like, Campus Crusade for Christ, Gallaudet football, and SBG fellowship program. I am looking forward to join Kappa Gamma or Delta Sigma Pi Fraternity for next year, fall. I have seen lot things around Gallaudet University.

There are only few Christian and we are trying to expand it

Can you tell me alittle more about the Campus Crusade for Christ at G.U. please? The Campus Crusade for Christ website is very dry text and I have not seen anything fluid happening on the website. I check there once in a while. Thank you :)

I went to Gallaudet for 1 semester and didn't like it.. the education there stinks! It was too easy for me well, that is for 1 semester.. I played softball and was also in the gymnastic. I was in the sisterhood (sorority). Yes there were a lot of cons than the pros..

There were alot of drug users especially cocaine and acid... I've seen students tripping and it freaked me out. They're mostly party-heads.

a good friend of mine was coming back to the campus from a club in DC. He was followed and right when he walked to the gate, he was stabbed about 1 inch from his heart (he's still alive)

I hated DC, I only went to the mall once off-campus. but I loved Georgetown and the shopping spree! I got to see the white house.. whooppeee dooo.. I also went in the monument and that was fun.

As for me, i didn't know ASL, I was very s.e.e. and the students made fun of me like I didn't belong there. So, I didn't feel welcome. I would never go back there again as a student.. or visit either. I wish I had gone to RIT, I know I would have loved it there!

RebelGirl said:
I went to Gallaudet for 1 semester and didn't like it.. the education there stinks! It was too easy for me well, that is for 1 semester.. I played softball and was also in the gymnastic. I was in the sisterhood (sorority). Yes there were a lot of cons than the pros..

There were alot of drug users especially cocaine and acid... I've seen students tripping and it freaked me out. They're mostly party-heads.

a good friend of mine was coming back to the campus from a club in DC. He was followed and right when he walked to the gate, he was stabbed about 1 inch from his heart (he's still alive)

I hated DC, I only went to the mall once off-campus. but I loved Georgetown and the shopping spree! I got to see the white house.. whooppeee dooo.. I also went in the monument and that was fun.

As for me, i didn't know ASL, I was very s.e.e. and the students made fun of me like I didn't belong there. So, I didn't feel welcome. I would never go back there again as a student.. or visit either. I wish I had gone to RIT, I know I would have loved it there!

I took a tour of Washington DC before and liked seeing the White House. It was nice. I wish Gallaudet was located in a better and safer neighborhood location. The city subway confused me because was I supposed to pay twice for a subway fare? I never seen that anywhere and I have rode many big city subways Boston, NYC and L.A. etc and the best subway I ever rode was Boston subway the " T " just avoid the red line and the orange line in Boston everything else should be okay. I liked the green line the best and the purple line goes into the surburbs more peaceful and awhole less crime.

I just pulled up the map of Boston subyway the " T " for old time's sake and now it is the silver line???? I have not been in Boston for basically almost 10 years now, since Deaf high school.

Boston is a nice city and also America's very first subway too.

http://www.mbta.com/traveling_t/schedules_subway.asp
MBTA

I have been to NTID before and I can tell you Rochester is a nice city if you are in the right areas and they may not have the same big city food resturants like in Washington DC but NTID is alots more safer than Washington DC that is for sure. :) :thumb:

Heath said:
Can you tell me alittle more about the Campus Crusade for Christ at G.U. please? The Campus Crusade for Christ website is very dry text and I have not seen anything fluid happening on the website. I check there once in a while. Thank you :)

Why not email them and ask them to update it. C3 is doing well from what I hear.

Back