Gallaudet President Announced!!

azdeafteen said:
Yeah.. Gally Board of Trustee and President is who authorized and control over Gallaudet University. their job is interview with presidential search process.

You are 100 percent wrong!!!! It isnt 100 percent of hearies on BOT..here is the list of Deaf and Hearing member of BOT:

Board of Trustees
Cynthia W. Ashby, Georgia
Celia May L. Baldwin, '70, Acting Chair, California
Dr. Brenda Jo Brueggemann, Vice Chair, Ohio
Susan J. Dickinson, G-'77, Colorado
Dr. Harvey Goodstein, '65, Arizona
Bill Graham, Secretary,Washington
Pamela Holmes, '74, Wisconsin
Dr. Tom Humphries, '68 & G-'72, California
L. Richard Kinney, Wisconsin
Ken H. Levinson, California
Frank Ross, Maryland
Benjamin J. Soukup, Jr., E-'74 & H-'00, South Dakota
Christopher D. Sullivan, New Jersey
Charles V. Williams, Ohio
Frank H. Wu, Michigan

Voting Trustees Public Members

The Honorable Ray LaHood, Illinois
The Honorable John McCain, Arizona
The Honorable Lynn Woolsey, California

Trustees Emeriti
Philip W. Bravin, '66, Vermont
Richard A. Dysart, California
Mervin D. Garretson, '47, Florida
The Honorable Thomas Penfield Jackson, Washington, DC
Dr. Carol A. Padden, California
Alexander E. Patterson, Connecticut
Dr. Robert G. Sanderson, '41, Utah
John T.C. Yeh, '71, Maryland

Honorary Emeriti

Nanette Fabray MacDougall, California

Nesmuth said:
Now you see what happens the past 7 days. Who was right all along?

Maybe I missed something here.. Who was right all along
about what ?

Nesmuth said:
The deafs didnt listen to me because I wasnt deaf enough just like you went after Jane because she isnt deaf enough!

Why did you assume that deafies did not listen to you ?
I myself (Deaf) usually read your comments, but it was difficult to
understand everything what you posted sometimes.

Nesmuth said:
Make this a real wake up call and start heeding my warnings of NAD leadership changes.

Again, I might have missed your warnings of NAD earlier.

I can tell which are deaffies because of the year meaning, they attended Gally.... What about the rest? Does that mean they are hearies?

BigSpike said:
You are 100 percent wrong!!!! It isnt 100 percent of hearies on BOT..here is the list of Deaf and Hearing member of BOT:

Board of Trustees
Cynthia W. Ashby, Georgia
Celia May L. Baldwin, '70, Acting Chair, California
Dr. Brenda Jo Brueggemann, Vice Chair, Ohio
Susan J. Dickinson, G-'77, Colorado
Dr. Harvey Goodstein, '65, Arizona
Bill Graham, Secretary,Washington
Pamela Holmes, '74, Wisconsin
Dr. Tom Humphries, '68 & G-'72, California
L. Richard Kinney, Wisconsin
Ken H. Levinson, California
Frank Ross, Maryland
Benjamin J. Soukup, Jr., E-'74 & H-'00, South Dakota
Christopher D. Sullivan, New Jersey
Charles V. Williams, Ohio
Frank H. Wu, Michigan

Voting Trustees Public Members

The Honorable Ray LaHood, Illinois
The Honorable John McCain, Arizona
The Honorable Lynn Woolsey, California

Trustees Emeriti
Philip W. Bravin, '66, Vermont
Richard A. Dysart, California
Mervin D. Garretson, '47, Florida
The Honorable Thomas Penfield Jackson, Washington, DC
Dr. Carol A. Padden, California
Alexander E. Patterson, Connecticut
Dr. Robert G. Sanderson, '41, Utah
John T.C. Yeh, '71, Maryland

Honorary Emeriti

Nanette Fabray MacDougall, California

They could be hearies or they could be deafies from other states or universities.

Brueggeman, Graham, Levinson, Ross, and Sullivan are all deaf. Frank Wu is hearing, and I don't know about Ashby, Kinney and Williams.

ayala920 said:
I'm hoping me_punctured will come on the boards soon. She has a very good theory on why Fernandes mentioned that she was white.

You rang, ayala920? :D

Before I share my theory about Fernandes’ mentioning her whiteness, I’d like to review an important aspect of the Deaf community. As we all know, deafness lacks geographic barriers. Everyone, whether they identify themselves as Deaf, deaf, hard-of-hearing, deaf-blind, or etcetera, comes from all walks of life. Nobody is just deaf. You identify yourself with an endless stream of labels floating around: male, female, transgendered, transsexual, straight, gay, lesbian, queer, bisexual, intersex, poor, rich, working-class, middle-class, white, black, Chicano/a, Latino/a, Asian, Native-American/Indian, trailer trash, refugee, migrant, immigrant, et cetera.

Fernandes is well aware of how her white privilege may have facilitated her elevation to becoming part of the elite university administration. She is acknowledging how white privilege (but not male and hearing privileges) configures her social reality, whereas it is not the same case for many people. Her affirmation as a white deaf woman, while recognizing the cultural diversity of the deaf community not limited to linguistic backgrounds and communication modes, illustrates a deep understanding of the complexity of larger social forces at work here. Put it simply, she grew up white as a white person. She grew up in an environment where her white background coincided with the dominant white culture, so she never experienced an inherent and external conflict of values and beliefs as many non-white people do in the same environment. This can be said the same of her oral background, which is referred to her upbringing and family. She knows this and she wants the Board of Trustees to know this, too.

(F.Y.I.: I’m only following her choice of not capitalizing the “D”eaf word so nobody will misinterpret the language suggested in my post.)

Why? What’s the point of bringing up her whiteness? She wanted to illustrate what Gallaudet’s mission means to her. She wanted to show how her background and experiences as a “white deaf woman,” who was raised on the oral method and how her discovery of ASL and presumably, the Deaf culture at the age of 23, shaped her perspective of the diversity within the deaf community. There is a reason why she put down “white” first. She identifies herself as white first, because that is the dominant identity she had from the beginning. She was born in a white and hearing family. Not all deaf persons share her life story.

Furthermore, upon her embracing ASL, which I presume she learned about Deaf culture at the same time, she found out how deaf people communicate with the world in different languages—English, ASL, Spanish, Chinese, BSL, LSQ, LSF, to name a few examples. AND how sign language is “the keystone of deaf education and now the uniting feature of Gallaudet’s diverse, deaf community.” She saw how ASL is essential to the field of today’s deaf education and how ASL operates as the primary and dominant language of deaf people at Gallaudet University. This is no ordinary university as it is considered the mecca, the hub, the pinnacle of the (primarily American) Deaf culture along with the field of Deaf studies and Deaf education. ASL, as Fernandes implied in her letter, unites the deaf community, in spite of glaring differences. It is the key instrument that defines us, a unique linguistic and cultural minority group.

And so, because of her personal experiences, which have led her to realize the larger differences amongst deaf people and the power and importance of ASL, she perceives Gallaudet as “a place for them to receive a high quality undergraduate and graduate education, if they so desire.” This is my interpretation of her perspective of Gallaudet’s mission and how her personal experiences and consciousness factors in it. I apologize if it was long-winded and button-holing, but it’s a habit of mine to dissect words and analyze them to death. Complit student here. ;)

On a marginal note, I’d like to expand what Dennis said about the study of comparative literature. Indeed, it does involve studying, interpreting and analyzing the relationship between literatures of different languages and cultures. It is also quite interdisciplinary, as graduate students and professors do scholarly research in the fields of music, history, philosophy, rhetoric, and social sciences. That is a rough generalization of the discipline, though. Complit also involves the study of literary theory and practice. A significant part of it plays identity politics in the picture, as race grew to be an important factor in literary studies when more and more minority writers (African-American and French-speaking writers of African and Caribbean origin) started defining themselves and their cultures in their own terms. This cultural self-definition developed in parallel and in conjunction to the U.S. civil rights movement and former U.S., French, or even Spanish colonies clamoring for political independence and nationhood.

Having shed a little light on the general study of complit, it does not surprise me to see Fernandes’ awareness of her own cultural identity, as evidenced by her doctorate in the said subject. I do, however, can see why people would question the relevance of bringing her “whiteness” in her letter, but it is basically the same idea to bringing up her oral deaf background. I believe that she is also aware of a certain inherent bias that comes with being formerly oral and English-speaking.

Off like a wrinkled prom dress. I’m violently ill with the flu, but I’ll be back soon.

Sincerely,
sick me_punctured

Last edited:
ayala920 said:
Brueggeman, Graham, Levinson, Ross, and Sullivan are all deaf. Frank Wu is hearing, and I don't know about Ashby, Kinney and Williams.
Dr. Cynthia Ashby is a hearing woman. She is the director of State Schools (deaf, blind schools, etc) in Georgia.

Dr. Carol A. Padden of California is also deaf and so were her parents.

OOpsie It's wring tyear!

I fix my post I howled at Jordan.

It actually happened on Feb 1998. I found in my archives. That Gallaudet Administration didnt seem to be focusing on the representation of deaf people in the Deaf Way and pointed it to Jordan's actions.

The first hoot!

DPN's 10th anniversary celebrations at Gallaudet University should be
geared to promoting Deaf People not this Deaf president. Celebrating it
as "Deaf President Now" will do nothing but boost I. King Jordan's ego.
We're supposed to promote Deaf people. So let's celebrate it as "Deaf
People Now". Deaf Watch Newsletter will be celebrating it as "Deaf
People Now"!

DEAF PEOPLE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Editor

So basically they had umm 8 years to fix a system before it bit them last Monday. Even made a web banner to go with the howI I made!

Richard

Attachments

• dpnbannr.gif
    dpnbannr.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 11
dolphlynn said:
I can tell which are deaffies because of the year meaning, they attended Gally.... What about the rest? Does that mean they are hearies?

Yes you got it right!!!!

Tousi said:
Dr. Carol A. Padden of California is also deaf and so were her parents.

Nice of you being proud of her! How do u think of Gallaudet Univ's dismay over Jane Fernandes being 9th prez?

BigSpike said:
Nice of you being proud of her! How do u think of Gallaudet Univ's dismay over Jane Fernandes being 9th prez?

BigSpike, good morning. Well, how about you ask Padden that question?

I’m not a student at Gally and this is my outsider opinion:

After reading the arguments about the candidates for the president position, I personally see this protest as a part of her capability to lead this school as she never connected with the students in the first place as my sources say that she was always snubbing the students. Other source also mention that Fernandes herself eliminated a lot things at MSSD, as eliminating special education program combining students together which in turn affected other students to slow down too ( I see 2 different perspectives on this tho pro and cons)
The same source also said that Fernandes as a provost has been actively trying to eliminate Gally’s courses such as noncredit courses and some students strongly disagree with this move.

For my overall opinion: A leader is a person who can connect well with people in order to lead. And Fernandes obviously doesn’t have this quality.

Perhaps some people have been pointing out to the background of the candidates: Saying she has more than other two, but who gives a damn when “Quality is better than Quantity.”

me_punctured said:
Having shed a little light on the general study of complit, it does not surprise me to see Fernandes’ awareness of her own cultural identity, as evidenced by her doctorate in the said subject. I do, however, can see why people would question the relevance of bringing her “whiteness” in her letter, but it is basically the same idea to bringing up her oral deaf background. I believe that she is also aware of a certain inherent bias that comes with being formerly oral and English-speaking.
That was one heck of a posting, and certainly is authoriative. Remind me to never get into a debate with you! :) Still, I wish Jane didn't put that in, as it lends itself the potential to be misinterpreted so easily by the lay community. To each of her own, I guess.

After reading a blog of a fellow alumni from my school, he has emphasized clearly about how Jane can be so manipulative at times. I am no Gallaudet student, but I now have clear ideas what this is really going on.

Serendipity said:
After reading a blog of a fellow alumni from my school, he has emphasized clearly about how Jane can be so manipulative at times. I am no Gallaudet student, but I now have clear ideas what this is really going on.

You tell and show me what deaf person isn't manipulative... How about many of those people who collect SSDI and work the same time. They manipulate the government. Heck we ALL are manipulative at times. Even Bill Gates is manipulative! How do you think he now OWNS the world with his OS? :)

:shock: :Ohno: :Ohno:
Serendipity said:

My opinion is that Jane could be mean because of the rally that ruined her in the first place. Now, she won it. I don't follow up a lot of events, and even I am not Gally student. You guys gotta stay away from her evil fork if you near her. :Ohno:

DefLord said:
You tell and show me what deaf person isn't manipulative... How about many of those people who collect SSDI and work the same time. They manipulate the government. Heck we ALL are manipulative at times. Even Bill Gates is manipulative! How do you think he now OWNS the world with his OS? :)

I heard that the man who flew from California came to the forum last Thursday night. When JK asked any question, the man stood up and asked a simple question,"Jane, why did you fire me?"

The deaf audience: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jane:.......... :ugh2:

Man: I am still waiting for your answer. Why did you fire me? :evil:

Jane:......huh?:Oops: ......

Man: Why did you fire my wonderful friends who taught at Kendall School?

Jane: :ugh2: ..........

Guess what...Cat got Jane's tongue...

Know what happened to deaf audience:

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

DefLord said:

For instance, what's about the scholarship at Gally? It was from someone else, but Jane claimed that was hers.

Mookie said:
I heard that the man who flew from California came to the forum last Thursday night. When JK asked any question, the man stood up and asked a simple question,"Jane, why did you fire me?"

The deaf audience: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jane:.......... :ugh2:

Man: I am still waiting for your answer. Why did you fire me? :evil:

Jane:......huh?:Oops: ......

Man: Why did you fire my wonderful friends who taught at Kendall School?

Jane: :ugh2: ..........

Guess what...Cat got Jane's tongue...

Know what happened to deaf audience:

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Wow. That's very interesting story/news !

Back