Gallaudet at risk of losing accreditation

Another problem at Gallaudet is the fact that the students want professors to learn sign language. That was an issue that was continuously raised on the message boards. As a result there'd be excellent professors who were inadequate signers. I even went as far to suggest, "Why not get a really good ASL translator to stand along side the professor? or even CART in lecture halls (they do this at Gallaudet, right?)?"
The response would be, "No. The professors MUST sign in class. I don't want a ASL translator standing alongside him."

*sigh* ideology vs realism. The reality is that we don't have enough Deaf Teachers or teachers who are fluent in sign. I think those students need a trip to Reality Island. (Anyone remember Fantasy Island?)

I think the Deaf Power movement needs a dose of reality. I'm all for advocating stuff but you have to work what what you've got and what's realistic not what it ought to be.

I'm not surprised either. I used to be disappointed with friends who dropped out of mainstream universities so they could attend Gallaudet. It's a social thing I would think. When I went to BU, my first year was horrible. I felt so lonely, but I joined more clubs and did more activities and my social life improved. I have to admit, during those periods when I felt so lonely, I thought about dropping out and going to Gallaudet. Good thing I stayed at BU.

I have to agree with the "deaf power" comment. When I was reading the blogs about the protest, I noticed many of those blogs (and even the comments on DeafDC.com) were criticising Jane's learning sign language late in life!

That clouded any meaningful argument about why JKF was not qualified for the position. People such as myself (cue/oral, might learn sign at 25 if I get my arse about), saw it as an attack directed towards us. Ridor is an excellent example of those kind of attacks.

I did go to DeafDC.com for better discussions. There were many commentators trying to frame why JKF was not qualified but I read the comments of each entry and they kept harping on about her ASL usage and her late entry into the ASL world.

I wouldn't feel welcome at Gallaudet.

I really do think they should change that mindset at Gallaudet and accept ANY deaf people. They used to have the Cued Speech Center there (closed down when Gallaudet became "University"), we raised enough money to try to name a room after the founder of CS at the building where the CS Center used to be. Gallaudet refused our request.

Another problem at Gallaudet is the fact that the students want professors to learn sign language. That was an issue that was continuously raised on the message boards. As a result there'd be excellent professors who were inadequate signers. I even went as far to suggest, "Why not get a really good ASL translator to stand along side the professor? or even CART in lecture halls (they do this at Gallaudet, right?)?"

The response would be, "No. The professors MUST sign in class. I don't want a ASL translator standing alongside him."

Sure, outside the classroom during individual discussions with the professor (he can set the pace of his sign prowess), I can see that. But in class? That's iffy. I can see why the graduation rate is so low.

That's one of many elements at Gallaudet that needs to be changed, the mindset that ALL professors must sign in class. I'm sure there's many more issues as to why Gallaudet isn't successful, but I think the professors-are-bad-signers is one of the big problems.

I guess things must have changed dramatically in the 5 years since I graduated from Gally. I dont recall anyone complaining about any of the professors not knowing sign language. As far as I know, all of them could sign..maybe not fully ASL. If that is what the complaints are about the professors not being fully fluent in ASL, then yea it is silly.

As for not accepting deaf people who didnt grow up culturally deaf, there is some truth to it. I wasnt accepted when I first started but by ignoring and standing up to them, they eventually accepted me. However, it is ridiculous that it should happen in the first place. That's why I created the thread "Why"? under Our World, Our Culture about accepting each other's differences.

I think the concept of "Deaf Power" is being overused and abused in many situations.

They are protesting because they do not want a hearing president...?

Wow...that's...stupid.

In a sense, they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Why would they want to hurt themselves like that? If she's hearing but is willing to learn sign language and is also a good president why is it a bad thing? I would rather take good hearing president over possible of bad deaf president any day. I do not mean all deaf will be a bad president, but if there's good one out there right now then we should take em, instead of fighting against because of who they are.

That's like a reverse (sp?) discrimination.

Good thing I never went to that university, I will probably never fit in...because I love both worlds too much to be on one side. Why can't they accept each other and work together instead of fighting against each other?

*shrugs*

No No..the president is deaf but she didnt learn sign language until she was older. That made her not "deaf enough" for the students. However, that was how it got started but many people told me that there was really more to than that issue. About her leadership qualities, her philosophies, approaches, ability to interact with the Gallaudet community. I am just hearing two sides so I dont really know what were the real issues. Everything just became so complicated and there were differing opinions and justifications for her resignation.

As for accepting each other..actually, a large percentage of the students really do accept everyone's differences. Just a small percentage that do not but they got the most attention so they became the central focus of the media but they are really a small percentage. I went to Gallaudet and after a tough first semester of adjusting to the culture shock and standing up to some people, I didnt have any more problems about not being deaf enough after that. Then, during my 2nd year there, I saw more and more deaf undergrads with CIs, and beginner signers so I strongly believe those students who are all about "Deaf Power" are really embarrassing themselves.

Not .... surprised .... at ... all.

I knew a few deafies from Indiana that withdrew from Gally. In my really humble opinion, Gally has too much "deaf power" that the hearing community probably don't give a fuck about.

I'm glad I didn't join that university or RIT in the first place; those 2 are the very LAST places I'd go ..... from beyond the grave.

Until u attend Gallaudet, u really do not know. The truth is it is not really too much "deaf power" as it was portrayed in the media. Sure there are numerous deaf militants but that doesnt represent all of the Gallaudet students. In fact, many of my friends who work there were pissed off about this whole thing cuz they didnt feel that way. Gallaudet has a lot of great qualities but it seemed like all its flaws were only portrayed in the media. All universities have their strengths and weaknessness. This is not a perfect world but I hope this situation will help Gallaudet improve. I felt I learned a lot during my years at Gallaudet both positively and negatively. How do we grow and learn if we never had negative experiences?

HUGS to all of you here! I LOVE reading about the diversity of deafness in the REAL WORLD--as opposed to the media's focus on the MINORITY of "crazies" who are essentially the same as racists who ONLY accept those who are "just like them" and reject all others--in the 21st century, I would think that those of us who have progressed WAY past the ignorance of our forefathers are the majority. My kids are growing up surrounded by a feeling of acceptance of other's differences--yes, there will always be people who look down on others who are different from themselves, but they are now standing out as the radical minority--this can apply to sexism, racism, discrimination against people with disabilities, etc. This goes WAY beyond tolerance of differences--this is multi-cultural, not just accepting but respecting differences and showing genuine interest in learning about other cultures and ways of life. There is much more to say about this, but I will end here with more HUGS to all who love, accept, respect, and want to learn more about others who are not exactly like themselves--we can truly all learn A LOT from each other if we stop making such a big deal about our differences. The world is a big place full of diversity--either join it and learn about others, or become isolated and alone. I hope to see Galludet and ALL other deaf cultures and communities "get with the program" and "move into the 21st century"--it almost seems like a generation gap (old ways against progressive ways, the way we've always done it vs. let's try something new). I am in my 40s and my kids are teenagers--we are very progressive and refuse to do things "the old way" like my parents and grandparents. GALLUDET--it's time to move forward into the 21st century!

No No..the president is deaf but she didnt learn sign language until she was older. That made her not "deaf enough" for the students. However, that was how it got started but many people told me that there was really more to than that issue. About her leadership qualities, her philosophies, approaches, ability to interact with the Gallaudet community. I am just hearing two sides so I dont really know what were the real issues. Everything just became so complicated and there were differing opinions and justifications for her resignation.

Hence why I've been rather neutral about Jane. However it looks like Gally has a lot of issues that needs to be resolved.

actually, a large percentage of the students really do accept everyone's differences. Just a small percentage that do not but they got the most attention so they became the central focus of the media but they are really a small percentage. I went to Gallaudet and after a tough first semester of adjusting to the culture shock and standing up to some people, I didnt have any more problems about not being deaf enough after that. Then, during my 2nd year there, I saw more and more deaf undergrads with CIs, and beginner signers so I strongly believe those students who are all about "Deaf Power" are really embarrassing themselves.
Really? that's AWESOME!!!!!!! So its basicly just a minority of dumbasses? YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm interested in Gally for undergrad
Oh and Deaf Skeptic and Shel, it does seem like Jane has been using the "she's not deaf enough" as an excuse.............I've heard some awful things about her administration skills and stuff.
Oh and hopefully, Gally's accrediation can be saved......it might just be due to some minor techicalities.

Deafdyke:
Oh and Deaf Skeptic and Shel, it does seem like Jane has been using the "she's not deaf enough" as an excuse.............I've heard some awful things about her administration skills and stuff.
Oh and hopefully, Gally's accrediation can be saved......it might just be due to some minor techicalities.

Unfortunately the problems with Jane hasn't been well documented. I think
they're prolly real though.

I don't think it's problems is due to minor technicalities; weak academic standards; ineffective governance and lack of tolerance for diverse views are cited as reasons why Gally's accreditation is at risk. This doesn't sound like minor techinalites to me.

Hearing colleges have lost accreditation in the past. This doesn't happen very often and I hope this doesn't happen to Gally. The commission do not take accreditation issues lightly so I would assume that Gally is indeed in real danger of losing it's accrediation.

Hello,

I am not to surprised about Gally losing their accreditation.

I attended Gally in 1990/1991. It was an interesting year for me. It was not run as an university as it should have been run.

I have attended other unversities myself. They were run very similiar.

I had thought that Gally was run based on favors to certain students.

What I mean "run", was that how students paid for classes, how students registered for certain classes, how the dorms were managed, how the professors managed the classes, etc...

I was not impressed by their academic standards and that was why I only went there for one year.

I recall that we called them Gally HS.

It was a joke.

I do agree with the part about their academic standards.

I've seen a lot of students here at NTID transfer to Gallaudet because it's easier. I have friends who graduated from Gallaudet, but still struggle with Liberal Arts because they didn't get what they should have gotten.

That's so odd cuz my brother was an undergrad student at Gally while I was a grad student there. My brother and I roomed for 1 year while attending Gally and I remember him bringing home so much homework and asking me for help. It seemed to me that whatever classes he took were really challenging especially the Algebra classes. So I am :confused: by all these comments saying the classes are a joke.

As for my grad studies, I felt that most of them were pretty challenging. Yes, I had some classes that I felt I didnt benefit from. My favorites were language acquistion classes.

I am sure there were many easy classes but are u all saying that ALL classes were a joke? Unless u are talking about before I started at Gally like 10 plus years ago?

That's so odd cuz my brother was an undergrad student at Gally while I was a grad student there. My brother and I roomed for 1 year while attending Gally and I remember him bringing home so much homework and asking me for help. It seemed to me that whatever classes he took were really challenging especially the Algebra classes. So I am :confused: by all these comments saying the classes are a joke.

As for my grad studies, I felt that most of them were pretty challenging. Yes, I had some classes that I felt I didnt benefit from. My favorites were language acquistion classes.

I am sure there were many easy classes but are u all saying that ALL classes were a joke? Unless u are talking about before I started at Gally like 10 plus years ago?

They're just having fun complaining about Gallaudet. You know better, as do many others. Don't worry about it.

I do agree with the part about their academic standards.
I agree. I do know some people who went to very good universities prior to dropping out and going to Gally. I don't know if it's a social thing (want to be around other deaf people) or Gallaudet's easier. A friend of mine that just recently attended a hearing university has now dropped out and going to Gallaudet.

I also agree about the graduate programme. My friends tried to persuade me to attend the graduate programme, adding that it's much better than the undergrad. They even knocked the undergrad programme as well.

Is it true that I've seen that hearing people are going to the graduate programme at Gally? Maybe it's an approach that GU should take, take in students who are interested in deaf studies?

I also think that, and I hope I don't get flamed for this, they should consider a hearing person with a vast interest in deaf studies to run GU.... flame away!

The report vindicates the student protest and shines the light where it really belongs: At the Board and IKJ and the successor he attempted to install......

i actually took the article to mean the exact opposite. the fact that they protested when they tried to put in a president that wasn't deaf enough means that the school(students) are not open to diffderent views, same as a religious school isn't open to different views, therefore is not accredited.

I just found out that NTID is also close to losing accreditation. :roll:

I just found out that NTID is also close to losing accreditation. :roll:

Would you mind citing the source of this info? I've just googled NTID and there's nothing on the web about NTID losing accrediation.

This gets more interesting. I just got word that the sources of these rumors could be Gallaudet related as theyre jealous because their reputation is damaged by the protests.

I also checked with MSA and find that's its their evaluation time.

And this could be the beginning of a Gally vs NTID flame war.

Richard

Back