From deaf/Deaf Perspective: When Answering The Door

GraysonPeddie

Eye/Hear/Speech Impaired
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm trying to do a search, but I don't know the correct keyword when it comes to answering the front door, so here it goes:

This night, I've been solicited about the books and magazine contest (or something like that--I don't know! :ugh:) and told me I can get 20,000 points, but I said no thanks after they finish and I said bye and closed the door politely just to forget it. But before that, I get no response after I ask "who is it."

So, here's my question. How do you go about answering the door? I mean, I know that those who are deaf cannot hear (too obvious for me, which is no big deal) who it is, or when I might be getting a deaf visitor.

I do have a doorbell, though.

I look out. I would never answer the door to someone that I don't know.

Unless UPS and the postman with a package. But I can see who they are.

Could you get a peephole installed on your front door?

I'm visually impaired and I don't think I'll be able to tell who's there through the peephole.

I never answer the door unless I know who to expect. If someone like a Fed Ex driver rings my apartment intercom, I'll answer it, tell them I'm deaf and will meet them down in the lobby where I'm safe should it be someone who has bad intentions.

Same with my phone, email, and my door. If it is something unknown to me. I do not answer.

As for my door. I peek outside. due to my dogs barking like crazy!! If I do not know of them. I do not answer.

I'm hearing...but still I never open the door unless I know who it is. But I'm wondering, since the OP is also low vision, and a peephole wouldn't help, maybe he could instruct his friends and family to knock in a certain way. For instance, 2 knocks, wait a few seconds, and then 3 knocks. That way he would know it was someone he knows.

I'm hearing...but still I never open the door unless I know who it is. But I'm wondering, since the OP is also low vision, and a peephole wouldn't help, maybe he could instruct his friends and family to knock in a certain way. For instance, 2 knocks, wait a few seconds, and then 3 knocks. That way he would know it was someone he knows.

That's a great idea. Another suggestion is to have them send you an e-mail to let you know they are coming over. This is what my sister and her boyfriend do for me.

I have a deaf friend that will not answer regardless. unless he was notified that some one is coming over...

So, here's my question. How do you go about answering the door? I mean, I know that those who are deaf cannot hear (too obvious for me, which is no big deal) who it is, or when I might be getting a deaf visitor.

I do have a doorbell, though.

My dog barks so loud every-time someone knocked on the door, so that's how I know someone is by the door, but in order for me to open the door, I would peek out the window door to find out who it is, if it's someone I don't know, I'll tab my fingers on the window and say who are you and what do you want-- If you trying to sell me junk, I'm not interested. It works every time. :P

i always answer the door lol... well most of time. I guess it's one of the perks of living at condo we have the security guards at lobby floor and they log all guests and call the owners to confirm before allowing them to get thru.

a few years ago on halloween day, my mom ran to me, getting all freaked out cuz there was a very suspicious tall man at the door that she saw thru the peephole. I looked at the peephole and to be honest - I was a bit nervous too. I yelled out - WHO THE HELL ARE YOU????? There was no response and the tall man just simply stood there, looking.

So I told my mom to call the security and 2 security guards rushed upstairs. I opened the door when I saw the security and I was pissed as hell. Turned out that it was a stupid prank by 2 teens several floors up using a lifelike-size poster of Legolas (the archer from Lord of the Rings).

oh btw - my dog doesn't bark at all! He rarely barks. grrrrrrr cuz sometimes I don't hear the knocking so I'm at slight disadvantage. My previous dog did bark like crazy and that was useful for me. oh well.

I really like that idea about code knocking too! Reminds me of a tactic my mom and I used when I was a kid and if she had someone else come to pick me up in elementary school - that person would have a code word that my mom and I had agreed upon, and if the driver trying picking me up didn't know the code word I was not to go with them.

Last night we had someone come to the door at 11p.m.. Moose the Lab went wild barking, he has a deep alert bark. I certainly didn't answer. The earlier that day we had a supposed Sears representative come up the driveway when I was outside. He was soliciting work for Sears and had a picture of different types of home improvements Sears will do, like roof, etc. He alleged that Sears would be in the neighborhood doing some work for some people and wanted to know if other neighbors were interested in it. I said I was not, and watched him walk around our circle knocking doors. No one else was home. I didn't see a vehicle so I called Sears asking if they had people out in our neighborhood and gave them the last name off this person's badge. They said they did have people out, and people with said last name. So that was good. But if they had said no, we have no people out there, I would call police, that "home improvement" thing old scam, making oneself look all "official" and everything.

I saw the signal doorbell flash and someone is at door. I went to another room and I look through the curtains to see who is it but I don't know those people. I won't answer the door. I put the sign "No Trespassing and Keep Out" at my door. I don't like stranger people coming at my door because I don't know them. If I see someone who is out there I know her or him.

I have to leave my blinds open, along with my door, because I feel "boxed in"..."trapped".....I have to be able to "see activity outside".

Home Depot has this tinting for windows & doors that I use. People cannot see in, but you can see out. I also have sturdy locks on my screen doors! And inside locks for the windows, so I feel safe.

Whenever someone comes to the door, I can see the full person without him/her seeing me. And also, my doggie barks and growls, and tugs my pants leg, letting me know someone is knocking.

If I don't want to let someone in, I don't! And they never know that I'm home, as they can't see in! Works for me.

As for doorbell lights, so many of mine got knocked out by lightning. I've no plans to replace them.

If im home alone, I will answer the door and try to understand the person, if not ill just say sorry no and shut the door unless its the post or delivery.

Pretty much the same thing as everyone else who lives in a house. I have a strobe light connected to my doorbell.

Code knocking is a great idea! Hope it will work for you, GP.

if I do not have my implant on and Im home alone, my dog will bark and go to the direction of the sound so if he is barking near the window, i will have a look through the window before I answer

I have door bell and portable flashing light.
When the door bell goes I go and check who it is through my windows. At the same time my dog growls and barks alot, I shut him in the nearest room to the door. If i am not sure who it is i use safety chain, open door and ask for ID, Most of time people back off as they can hear my dog, if i am not interested i tell them "not interested and goodbye". Majority of times people at my door is who i am expecting.

Back