For the cigarette smokers and non-smokers too !!! Pass onto your family !!!!!

Heath

Reaction score
Hi, I came across this eye opening chart of a cigarette and what is in a cigarette. Pass this onto your family , friends and loved ones !!!!!

Heath,
Are you a previous smoker? If no, What do you know what is labelled on every cigarettes? They have Surgeon General warnings on all cigarettes brands.

This is just old news that always have to repeat it's self. Smokers are aware of what is inside of a cigarette, they're aware smoking is bad to their health, they're aware that smoking by pregnant woman may result in fetal injury of a newborn or have a premature birth and they are also aware that smoking cause carbon monoxide, when smoking too much. Should I keep going on? You get my point? Thank you. :)

Heath,
Are you a previous smoker? If no, What do you know what is labelled on every cigarettes? They have Surgeon General warnings on all cigarettes brands.

This is just old news that always have to repeat it's self. Smokers are aware of what is inside of a cigarette, they're aware smoking is bad to their health, they're aware that smoking by pregnant woman may result in fetal injury of a newborn or have a premature birth and they are also aware that smoking cause carbon monoxide, when smoking too much. Should I keep going on? You get my point? Thank you. :)

Exactly. I'm a non-smoker myself, but a dear friend of mine is a smoker. I know it's bad for her. She knows it's bad for her, so why should we spend time arguing over the point? A smoker will either assume the risks and keep on smoking, or they will decide to quit. It's not up to us to harp on it.

Enough, already.

Secondhand Smoke

Smokers scorn nonsmokers' disgust for cigarette smoke, saying they're just "jumping on the bandwagon," or being PC, or being fussy wimps. Here's the point: Cigarette fumes contain harmful chemicals. That is why being trapped in cigarette smoke is not like being trapped in a portable toilet. It's not the smell, it's the instantaneous physical, somatic reactions. It's like the difference between the air in a barnyard and the air in an unventilated garage with an idling diesel bus. The first is merely unpleasant, the second is poisonous. The physical reaction (sweaty palms, nausea, headache) all warn of danger, and urge whoever to get into some fresh air immediately.

In days of old canaries were kept in coal mines, because if there was coal gas in the air, the canaries would die more quickly than the miners, alerting them to the danger. Coal gas and cigarette smoke are both inescapable when they permeate the local air. And it didn't take government studies to come to this conclusion. Non-smokers have always sensed it, but had no corroborating evidence, until now.

Here's the latest information from the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

Eyes and Vision

Two recent studies published in the Journal of the American Medical Association tracked 50,000 smokers for approximately 12 years. The studies found a two- to three-fold increased rate among both smokers and ex-smokers of developing macular degeneration, an irreversible form of blindness. The risk was significant even among those who had quit smoking 15 or more years earlier. Researchers speculate that smoking causes vision loss by restricting blood flow to the eye. Cataracts (clouding of the lens) are another visual problem associated with cigarette smoking. A recent study showed a 40-percent higher rate of cataracts among 3,600 people who had ever smoked, as compared to nonsmokers.

Genito-Urinary Tract

Smoking causes bladder and kidney cancer. It is, in fact, the strongest risk factor known for developing bladder cancer. An ex-smoker's risk of bladder cancer is reduced by one half within a few years after quitting, but a higher risk of developing these cancers remains for decades.

Musculoskeletal System

Smoking is associated with osteoporosis (thinning of the bones due to loss of bone minerals) in women, and with spinal disk disease in both sexes. Lost bone calcium cannot be fully recovered, and degenerative bony changes are irreversible. Osteoporosis predisposes to fractures and is responsible for much disability, especially in elderly women. A recent meta-analysis of 29 studies involving almost 4,000 hip fractures concluded that one of every eight fractures was attributable to smoking, although the rate was lower for ex-smokers than for current smokers.

Secondhand Smoke

Smokers scorn nonsmokers' disgust for cigarette smoke, saying they're just "jumping on the bandwagon," or being PC, or being fussy wimps. Here's the point: Cigarette fumes contain harmful chemicals. That is why being trapped in cigarette smoke is not like being trapped in a portable toilet. It's not the smell, it's the instantaneous physical, somatic reactions. It's like the difference between the air in a barnyard and the air in an unventilated garage with an idling diesel bus. The first is merely unpleasant, the second is poisonous. The physical reaction (sweaty palms, nausea, headache) all warn of danger, and urge whoever to get into some fresh air immediately.

In days of old canaries were kept in coal mines, because if there was coal gas in the air, the canaries would die more quickly than the miners, alerting them to the danger. Coal gas and cigarette smoke are both inescapable when they permeate the local air. And it didn't take government studies to come to this conclusion. Non-smokers have always sensed it, but had no corroborating evidence, until now. Here's the latest information from the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

With all due respect, Heath... Here's another point....

If you're a non-smoker, and you don't want to be around cig smoke, don't be around it.

I'll be honest, I don't like to be around alot of smokers. Actually, I'm allergic to cig smoke. However, since my best friend and my sister are smokers, I have to deal. I just make sure I'm in a well ventilated area. Also, there is a rule in our house. We don't allow smoking in the house.

Like it or not, we're not going to eradicate smoking. It's not just going to happen, so people on both sides of the issue are just going to have to work out their differences. That's where common curteousy comes into play. If you know you're allergic or can't take cig smoke, don't be in a place where there's a lot of it. If you're a smoker, be aware that there might be someone around you who can't handle your smoke, and kindly smoke in a ventilated area, or wait until you're in the privacy of your own home or car before you light up. It's really that simple.

People have been harping on the harmful effects of smoke for years, and it hasn't done a thing to eradicate smoking, and it won't.

Reproduction

Infertility is more common among smokers but is not irreversible. The damage done to smokers' babies during pregnancy often is irreversible, however. Smoking during pregnancy is associated with dire consequences for the baby as a fetus, as a newborn, and even as a child. Recognition of the evidence of this damage has prompted researchers to designate it as "fetal tobacco syndrome." Miscarriage is two to three times more common in smokers, as are stillbirth due to fetal oxygen deprivation and placental abnormalities induced by the carbon monoxide and nicotine in cigarette smoke. Smokers have a fourfold risk of having a low birthweight baby; such babies are more likely than normal-weight babies to have impaired physical, emotional, and intellectual development.

The authors of a study found that women who smoked during pregnancy were 50 percent more likely to have a child with mental retardation of unknown cause than were nonsmoking women. Sudden infant death syndrome is significantly associated with smoking, as is impaired lung function at birth. Women who quit smoking as late as the first trimester may diminish some of these risks, but the risk of certain congenital malformations--such as cleft palate--is increased even in women who quit early in pregnancy.

The Skin

Smoking causes premature facial wrinkling through vasoconstriction of the capillaries of the face (vasoconstriction decreases the flow of oxygen and nutrients to facial skin cells). The effect of this reduced blood flow is visible in deep crow's feet radiating from the corners of the eyes and pale, grayish, wrinkled skin on the cheeks. These effects may emerge after as few as five years of smoking and are largely irreversible, except through costly and traumatic facial surgery.

Conclusion

There should be no illusions as to the dangers of cigarettes. The combination of a highly addictive, pharmacologically active substance--nicotine--and an array of noxious chemicals cunningly packaged in a highly efficient delivery mechanism can permanently and drastically affect health. People who smoke for as brief a period as 10 years, show a substantially higher rate of death, disease, and disability. Risks to the respiratory system, especially, and risks of cancer continue to plague the ex-smoker for years after quitting. Smokers should not delude themselves that they can smoke safely for 10 to 15 years and then--if they are among the lucky few who can quit--become as healthy and risk-free as if they had never smoked at all.

The risks faced by smokers are well-documented; for a truly comprehensive guide to those risks, see the groundbreaking ACSH book, Cigarettes: What the Warning Label Doesn't Tell You.

In summary, the following irreversible health effects have been proven to be associated with smoking:

* Retardation in the rate of lung development and lung function--i.e., decreased lung reserve--in childhood and adolescent smokers, as well as a markedly increased risk of developing COPD.

* Cancer risk: 75 percent of ex-smokers show DNA changes suggestive of tumor development; 50 percent or more of lung cancers are now being diagnosed in ex-smokers.

* Circulatory impairment to the heart, brain, and legs.

* Visual impairment and loss.

* Vocal-cord polyps (growths) and hoarseness.

* Bone mineral loss (osteoporosis), hip fractures, and spinal arthritis.

* Serious health consequences for children born to smoking mothers.

* Premature facial wrinkling and graying of the skin after as few as five years of smoking

Component
(Known or probable carcinogens)

How much more is in
sidestream smoke

Polonium-210 1 to 4 times
Benzo[a]pyrene 2.5 to 3.5 times
Hydrazine 3 times
1,3 butadiene 3 to 6 times
Benzene 5 to 10 times
N-nitrosopyrrolidine 6 to 30 times
Cadmium 7.2 times
Nickel 13 to 30 times
N-nitrosodimenthylamine 20 to 100 times
Aniline 30 times
2-Naphthylamine 30 times
4-Aminobiphenyl 31 times
N-nitrodiethylamine up to 40 times

:thumb: @ Oceanbreeze

If smokers invite you in their home and smoke around you, and not showing the respect of your health, You could make a choice, leave and don't ever go back there, or ask them nicely if they could smoke outside. If they don't then you know they don't even care about you and your health. :)

There are people like me who have highly respect for others who would go outside and smoke, and I always ask my friends if they mind if I smoke, when I'm outside talking to them. Ask GalaxyAngel, RebelGirl, Tweetybird, and those who met me in real life. They're tell you. ;)

Chemicals in Cigarette Smoke
Here is a partial list of the chemicals in commercially manufactured cigarettes. The first part lists chemicals known to cause cancer, called carcinogens:

Dimethylnitrosamine

Ethylmethylnitrosamine

Nitrosopyrrolidine

Hydrazine

Vinyl Chloride

Urethane

Formaldehyde

Other Toxic Agents:

Carbon Monoxide, Hydrogen Cyanide, Acrolein, Acetadehyde, Nitrogen oxides, Ammonia, Pyridine, Nitric acid, Mathylamine, Hydrogen cyanide, Indole, 3-hydroxypyridine, 3-vinylpyridine, Acetone, Acetonitrile, Acrolein, 1,3-Butadiene, mg, Nitrous acid, isoquioline, Isoamylamine, 3-Cyanopyridine.

Other Toxic Agents:

Carbon Monoxide, Hydrogen Cyanide, Acrolein, Acetadehyde, Nitrogen oxides, Ammonia, Pyridine, Nitric acid, Mathylamine, Hydrogen cyanide, Indole, 3-hydroxypyridine, 3-vinylpyridine, Acetone, Acetonitrile, Acrolein, 1,3-Butadiene, mg, Nitrous acid, isoquioline, Isoamylamine, 3-Cyanopyridine.

This is only a partial list. They put these chemicals in cigarettes to reduce tar while maintaining the level of nicotine necessary to keep them addictive. Keeping the tar down helps to calm people's fears about health risks. Since the companies are free of any supervision they are not compelled to reveal the chemicals they use. But recent breaks in the wall of secrecy have revealed that cigarettes are only about 40% tobacco, and 60% other junk.

Hey ladies, I am just stating the facts, ma'am.

I know about the good manners of the cigarette smokers and the good manners of the non-smokers too as well but really, with these kinds of the so-called " good manners " .....

Who do you think is in a win-win situation ?

The tobbacco companies, of course !!!!!

Therefore, it is up to both the smokers as well as the non-smokers to be in a position to be the one who is in the win-win situation.

Everybody likes being in a win-win situation.

Be a winner and snuff the cigarette out and quit for the health benefits for yourself as well as for everybody else. Your children or the grandchildren. Learn to love yourself and treat yourself really good in order to be able to really love and treat anothers really good.

I have seen a picture of people smoking in a coffin and a priest is there placing sand on it...get it...

So basically the picture stated that, smoking kills...thats the bottom line!!

Kashveera

:thumb: @ Oceanbreeze

If smokers invite you in their home and smoke around you, and not showing the respect of your health, You could make a choice, leave and don't ever go back there, or ask them nicely if they could smoke outside. If they don't then you know they don't even care about you and your health. :)

There are people like me who have highly respect for others who would go outside and smoke, and I always ask my friends if they mind if I smoke, when I'm outside talking to them. Ask GalaxyAngel, RebelGirl, Tweetybird, and those who met me in real life. They're tell you. ;)

Thank you! I said what I feel. I will be honest. I am NOT a fan of cigarette smoking. I'm not, but there are people around me who DO smoke, so why should I be a butt about it? It just causes all kinds of hard feelings; especially when what I say isn't going to make much of a difference, anyway. I'm sure as a smoker you're heard it all? So, why keep harping on it.

I think people think that because of all the lawsuits, and the fact that public places are now largely smoke free environments, smoking is going to become obsolete, and that's just not true. We have less people smoking now, but that doesn't mean it's gone away. As long as smoking remains legal (and please don't suggest we outlaw it!), someone is going to smoke, so we all just gotta deal.

I have seen a picture of people smoking in a coffin and a priest is there placing sand on it...get it...

So basically the picture stated that, smoking kills...thats the bottom line!!

Kashveera

True, but in this country we've literally beat that into the ground. People are aware of the dangers, but it's their choice to continue smoking. It's stupid, yes, but who am I to take the cig out of their mouth? The person would just be really angry at me, and I'd also probably get burnt for my trouble. It's not worth it to be militant about it.

It's like this... The person will either quit of their own accord, or they will contract and die from one of the smoking related illnesses. It's really that cut and dry.

Hey ladies, I am just stating the facts, ma'am.

I know about the good manners of the cigarette smokers and the good manners of the non-smokers too as well but really, with these kinds of the so-called " good manners " .....

Who do you think is in a win-win situation ?

The tobbacco companies, of course !!!!!

Therefore, it is up to both the smokers as well as the non-smokers to be in a position to be the one who is in the win-win situation.

Everybody likes being in a win-win situation.

Be a winner and snuff the cigarette out and quit for the health benefits for yourself as well as for everybody else. Your children or the grandchildren. Learn to love yourself and treat yourself really good in order to be able to really love and treat anothers really good.

That's a nice sentiment, but lets be realistic. Is it really going to happen?

Back