"Fixing" the child or not?

Yes but how does what she wears on her ear affect other people and their life and identity?

Guess you never heard the:

"Why don't you wear hearing aids" comments or "get a cochlear implant" comments in the workplace.

Yes but how does what she wears on her ear affect other people and their life and identity?

Exactly. So your statement about your daughter reinforces what jillio said. CI's are intended to benefit and be used on Deaf people. So what's wrong with Deaf people having an opinion about it?

My husband said it this way:

If a take a tv and add 3-D technology to it, is it "fixing" it? No, it is just adding another benefit. It was fine the way it was, but some people see the addition as a good thing, others would think it was unnecessary.

That's just his 2 cents.

The comments aren't made to her or about her specifically. And she certainly doesn't exist in a bubble. Of course the attitude that one takes regarding deafness affects the deaf community as a whole. It is about the hearing societal view of deafness being imposed on the deaf themselves.

It is society's view on us on why we dont want to "improve" ourselves. When you go around telling people that your daughter's life has improved because of the CI, that she is able to hear and etc, hearing people who arent educated will take it at face value and question the Deaf community's preference to stay the way they are. Then, the Deaf community gets pissed off and say stuff like that.

I should know because I have been put in that situation too numerous times to count and it gets depressing at times.

And your daughter is deaf.:cool2: So what matters more than anything is her perception of the motivation behind the CI. Give it time. She will develop an opinion as she gets older.

No, she is Deaf. She is a part of the Deaf community, no matter how much you choose to ignore it.

If a take a tv and add 3-D technology to it, is it "fixing" it? No, it is just adding another benefit. It was fine the way it was, but some people see the addition as a good thing, others would think it was unnecessary.

That's just his 2 cents.

And you don't find comparison of a human being to an electronic devise offensive? But you find an accurrate use of a word such as "fix" to be offensive?

Exactly. So your statement about your daughter reinforces what jillio said. CI's are intended to benefit and be used on Deaf people. So what's wrong with Deaf people having an opinion about it?

They can have an opinion, I don't have a problem with that at all. My problem is with the judgement that is held. I am not asking others to get CI's, not even close. I believe I am providing a positive thing for my child, and her alone. I'm not trying to fix anyone. Why is that being attached to the choices we have made?

That's just his 2 cents.

And you don't find comparison of a human being to an electronic devise offensive? But you find an acurate use of a word such as "fix" to be offensive?

They can have an opinion, I don't have a problem with that at all. My problem is with the judgement that is held. I am not asking others to get CI's, not even close. I believe I am providing a positive thing for my child, and her alone. I'm not trying to fix anyone. Why is that being attached to the choices we have made?

You are fixing the absence of hearing.

Because it is surgery and surgery is to fix something, isnt it?

Sometimes, but not always. I'm sure there are better examples, but one is a C-section: having one doesn't fix something that was broken, it enables a woman to give birth in a different way. In that sense, CI surgery creates a new route for sound to be processed, it doesn't repair the usual route.

And after I have a C-section, I'm not "fixed" (hopefully not in any sense of the word :) ).

:laugh2:

Comparing television to people.

Deafness is something the majority of people DON'T have.

A better comparison is when a brand new TV you bought from the store got yellow tint to it, when 90% of the products don't have it. :laugh2:

No, she is Deaf. She is a part of the Deaf community, no matter how much you choose to ignore it.

Where have I ever ignored it?

Your response doesn't even address the question I asked. Is she deaf? She isn't a hearing member of the deaf community is she?

It is society's view on us on why we dont want to "improve" ourselves. When you go around telling people that your daughter's life has improved because of the CI, that she is able to hear and etc, hearing people who arent educated will take it at face value and question the Deaf community's preference to stay the way they are. Then, the Deaf community gets pissed off and say stuff like that.

I should know because I have been put in that situation too numerous times to count and it gets depressing at times.

My old college English professor asked me outside of class on why don't deaf people accept CI, and then she expressed how she felt deafness is a disability and how she thinks they should try improve their life, and all that. I didn't have CI back then, and I didn't know how to answer her. I never felt so imitated, little, or whatever the appropriate word for this type of feeling, either because she was trying tell me how I should feel about deafness. I was speechless.

Ignorance people everyone on deaf culture!

Sometimes, but not always. I'm sure there are better examples, but one is a C-section: having one doesn't fix something that was broken, it enables a woman to give birth in a different way. In that sense, CI surgery creates a new route for sound to be processed, it doesn't repair the usual route.

And after I have a C-section, I'm not "fixed" (hopefully not in any sense of the word :) ).

A C-section is "fixing" the fault that will not allow for a normal birth process. It is "fixing" the birth process gone awry. Normally, they are necessary because the pelvic bones refuse to expand sufficiently to allow for birth to occur naturally, so iti s fixing that malformation.

I thought we're looking at things from a medical point of view, not from a cultural point of view?

So what's with the "Deaf" thing?

Back