"Fixing" the child or not?

They get so upset generally because they are already on the defensive. Most are very concerned about being perceived somehow as a "bad" parent by others. So they are overly sensitive to language that was never intended as insulting, yet they perceive it as such.

Or perhaps it is because some Deaf people are often shouting "We don't need CI's. There is nothing wrong with us. Stop trying to FIX us". How is that not a loaded statement?

Or perhaps it is because some Deaf people are often shouting "We don't need CI's. There is nothing wrong with us. Stop trying to FIX us". How is that not a loaded statement?

If hearing people are telling deaf people that they should get CIs, then oh yea, I would say the exact same thing.

One of my hubby's former coworkers told me at a picnic that she doesnt understand why us, deaf people, dont want to improve ourselves by getting CIs.

If hearing people are telling deaf people that they should get CIs, then oh yea, I would say the exact same thing.

One of my hubby's former coworkers told me at a picnic that she doesnt understand why us, deaf people, dont want to improve ourselves by getting CIs.

But it is Deaf people who are saying "You are trying to fix us.", NOT parents or doctors. Why are people trying to lay that on us?

"We don't need CI's. There is nothing wrong with us. Stop trying to FIX us".

They are not wrong on how they view their deafness and CI.

Ugh! Right, Shel. That's really offensive.

But it is Deaf people who are saying "You are trying to fix us.", NOT parents or doctors. Why are people trying to lay that on us?

Because that's how a lot of Deaf people feel. There are loaded statements on both sides cause there are strong feelings on both sides.

:confused: What do u mean? Arent u a parent?

How is it loaded? It is simply a truthful statement. Can't imagine why you would object to the Deaf making a statement regarding their perception of CI. After all, isn't that exactly the population is was intended to benefit?

Ugh! Right, Shel. That's really offensive.

Oh I have many many stories of what hearing people have said to me about CIs.

I even got one deaf guy telling me that I should get a CI because it will improve my life.

I guess it is due to the media, the general society will probably adopt this way of thinking. That will make life for many of us much much harder in the future.

:roll: People seem to lose all their manners when it comes to "disabilities." Do people go around saying "You should improve your social life by divorcing your ugly husband" or "you should improve your career by firing that incompetent assistant of yours"? If someone said that most people would think that's pretty damn rude. Even if the husband or assistant really were ugly and incompetent, it'd still be rude to say it outright. But when it's about deafness and CI, it's okay to just go tell people what they should do and how they should live their lives.

:confused:

Because that's how a lot of Deaf people feel. There are loaded statements on both sides cause there are strong feelings on both sides.

Exactly. The Deaf have a right to have their perceptions regarding the devises and methods that the hearing come up with to benefit them. As I always say, "Nothing for us without us." If this society was more open to input from the deaf community regarding what truly benefits them, perhaps none of this discussion would be necessary.

The only people who think a CI is a fix is Deaf people. Parents and doctors don't claim that, so why are be getting blamed for it?

And who is it intended to benefit? Who is it used on? Deaf people. They have more right to voice an opinion than anyone else.

Why is people trying to attach moral value to the word "fix" now?

If it ain't 'broke' don't fix it.

Some people like to fix things and keep it in tiptop shape even when there's no visible problem (think subjectively to this).

Varies by a person's personality I suppose.
emoticon-crossing-arms.png

The only people who think a CI is a fix is Deaf people. Parents and doctors don't claim that, so why are be getting blamed for it?

Because it is surgery and surgery is to fix something, isnt it?

The only person my daughter's CI is meant to benefit is my daughter.

And your daughter is deaf.:cool2: So what matters more than anything is her perception of the motivation behind the CI. Give it time. She will develop an opinion as she gets older.

Back