"Fixing" the child or not?

The deaf child stands in the right and should not be attacked by being shown nonacceptance.

Anyone forgotten how deaf people was treated in Germany when Hitler was in power? They all were murdered!

Maybe it won't happen again, but what if the hearing society decides they want Congress to pass a law that makes it mandatory for every deaf child be implanted? What then?

Just a thought,

Yiz

Don't forget sterile too, they didn't want more deaf babies.

The deaf child stands in the right and should not be attacked by being shown nonacceptance.

Anyone forgotten how deaf people was treated in Germany when Hitler was in power? They all were murdered!

Maybe it won't happen again, but what if the hearing society decides they want Congress to pass a law that makes it mandatory for every deaf child be implanted? What then?

Just a thought,

Yiz

You do know that the German Deaf supported Hitler in the first place? At least before they noticed their numbers were getting smaller.

Yes, I feel implantation is an attempt to fix. Is that bad? Depends on the mindset of the family.

Ok, how about these situations, being deaf isn't the only problem in society. It's among other things too.

Gays, they get jeered at because of the way they behave and because of their sexual preferences, should they be fixed?

Girls that likes to wear boys clothing, they don't necessarily mean they are lesbians, but they get made fun of, get called "dikes", "butch", "boy" and so on. They just like wearing boys clothing because they're comfortable, they may wear a dress from time to time, but they shouldn't be unfairly labeled. But should they be fixed?

How about when a black person decides he wants to be a Republican but gets jeered and made fun of because he doesn't roll with the mainstream black society that chooses to be a democrat. So he gets called an "Uncle Tom" and "Not black enough". He should have the right to choose what political affiliation he wants to be with. But should he be fixed?

Just a thought,

Yiz

Yes, I feel implantation is an attempt to fix. Is that bad? Depends on the mindset of the family.

I think it's more of the fault of the English language.

We're good at coming up with words to dodge the concept by justifying them with morals.

Look at how many synonyms we have for kill.

I don't know if anyone recalled some type of "MTV" commercial where there is a boy being dressed up in different styles from City Slicker, to Country Boy, to a Rocker, to whatever and at the end of the commercial, he decided he had enough of it and said, "STOP!"

I like being ME and if you have a problem with that, TOUGH! and he walks off just being happy with himself and not allow the pressures of society to try and change him.

This should apply to just about anyone, deaf, blind, gay, whatever.

Yiz

Girls that likes to wear boys clothing, they don't necessarily mean they are lesbians, but they get made fun of, get called "dikes", "butch", "boy" and so on. They just like wearing boys clothing because they're comfortable, they may wear a dress from time to time, but they shouldn't be unfairly labeled. But should they be fixed?

How about when a black person decides he wants to be a Republican but gets jeered and made fun of because he doesn't roll with the mainstream black society that chooses to be a democrat. So he gets called an "Uncle Tom" and "Not black enough". He should have the right to choose what political affiliation he wants to be with. But should he be fixed?

Neither of these have any bearing on the topic. They are choices. You choose to wear a certain style of clothes. You choose a political affiliation. There's nothing to fix. People may not like the choices and may try to talk them out of it (sometimes successfully), but you can't fix it.

If you choose to like the Chicago Bears and I, a Packers fan, disagree with you, I can argue, tease, debate and downright intimidate, but there's nothing to fix. I can't implant anything in you to change the fact that you're a Bears fan.

One does not choose to be deaf/have a deaf child (yet). however, the technology exists, some methods more invasive than others, to improve very minimal hearing and that is an option an individual, or their family, can take in order to meet their needs or 'fix' the deficit. The technology is a choice, but the initial deafness is not, which is what is being fixed.

The answer to 'what was the surgery for' is simple for my family: Access. The surgery was to provide access to sound, which my daughter didn't have before.

But it seems right that the word "surgery" is derived from a greek word meaning "hand work." If we used that understanding, both of our quests to access sound and to access ASL would fit. :)

I look at getting a CI and attending a school for the deaf in the same way for my daughter: both involve gaining access to language. Neither would have been part of her life if we had just let things be "naturally." Both routes provide access that didn't exist before and yet doesn't change who she is. Both paths were difficult, one required a one- (or in our case, two-) time significant surgical procedure and a continued reliance on technology. One requires a lifetime of change to how she learns, where we can live, what schools my daughter can attend, requires a 4 hour commute every day, and determines with whom and how she can communicate. Both have changed our lives to an equal degree, require her to work at developing language, and give her great pleasure in utilizing her access to sound and her access to sign.

I think the price is small compare to the immense rewards. In both cases.

Last edited:
I seen people who desperate to make sure their child is never exposed to silent (their deaf side). They would even waterproof their child's processor when go swimming. They would even keep them from sports because it would mean taking off his processor (and yes, I know, they can play sports with it which still apply to making sure they wear CI at all time) ... instead another method of communication like ASL. The only exposure to deafness they have is usually at bedtime. Which is scary because there are abusive people out there somewhere who might whip their child for not wearing their CI.

There's several reason why they do this, one is to help with their language, but I still think it all come down to fixing. Rather is it fixing their language or deafness... These people who make sure their child is hearing all waking hours, I wonder if they will seek stem cell cure in a heartbeat so they never have to deal with deaf issues.

I seen people who desperate to make sure their child is never exposed to silent (their deaf side). They would even waterproof their child's processor when go swimming. They would even keep them from sports because it would mean taking off his processor (and yes, I know, they can play sports with it which still apply to making sure they wear CI at all time) ... instead another method of communication like ASL. The only exposure to deafness they have is usually at bedtime. Which is scary because there are abusive people out there somewhere who might whip their child for not wearing their CI.

There's several reason why they do this, one is to help with their language, but I still think it all come down to fixing. Rather is it fixing their language or deafness... These people who make sure their child is hearing all waking hours, I wonder if they will seek stem cell cure in a heartbeat so they never have to deal with deaf issues.

In other words, be deaf is the same as being a "freak".

That really gets me.

Whipping a child for not wearing their CI to bed? Uh how about, no way, please. :nono:

Have any idea how painful that if you rolled on your side with your ear mold squishing your eardrum? Not only that, if you don't "air out" your ears for half of the 24 hr period, you can get really sore and red in the ear canal and possibly get an infection.

Yiz

I mean UNTIL bedtime, meaning they take it off at night. There's abusive people everywhere, but when deaf people get abused, it is always seem to be about their hearing that trigger it EVEN THOUGH it is NOT their fault nor their deafness fault . It just seem to be the target, that's all.

Meaning you're ashamed & embarrassed of your deafness.

Yiz

I wear a HA so I can hear what being said , but this does not mean I am ashamed & embarrassed about being HOH! I would never think a deaf person was ashamed & embarrassed of being deaf if they had a CI ! I think is wrong to judge a person that way! That is like saying a blind person is a ashamed & embarrassed for being blind if they use a blind cane!

It's fine that you are not ashamed of being HOH or ashame of CI. But it is still consider a fix. Rather you see this type of fix of deafness a good thing or a bad thing.

Some people are not ashamed of ASL. Or not ashamed to use an interpreter.

Or whatever.

I wear a HA so I can hear what being said , but this does not mean I am ashamed & embarrassed about being HOH! I would never think a deaf person was ashamed & embarrassed of being deaf if they had a CI ! I think is wrong to judge a person that way! That is like saying a blind person is a ashamed & embarrassed for being blind if they use a blind cane!

I'm saying it's wrong to feel that way, thereby the stresser behind the reasoning to get a CI. That's a wrong reasoning for a CI. IMHO.

If one chooses a CI, it has to be reasons other than feeling negative to one's self.

Yiz

I'm saying it's wrong to feel that way, thereby the stresser behind the reasoning to get a CI. That's a wrong reasoning for a CI. IMHO.

If one chooses a CI, it has to be reasons other than feeling negative to one's self.

Yiz

Maybe you would feel this way , but it not does mean everyone else would! I do not see being HOH mean I am broken and need tyo be fix!

Some people do use HA/CI to communicate with hearing people. That's no big deal. I do it too. But I can't do that unless hearing people know ASL or I fix my deafness so I can hear and learn to speak

Being late deafened, now for about 40 years....I do know that if I were eligible for a CI or a hearing aid that would help me hear ANY sound, I would opt for it in a heartbeat.....Unfortunately, I'm not eligible....

I would not call it "fixing" me.....it would make my life more enjoyable.....music...my family when they are talking, etc....

People have surgeries for everything under the sun, whether it being able to walk again, see again or hear again.....I know what I'm missing!

If I had a deaf child, I would expose him/her to any sounds possible, and yes, if a CI would help my child, I would agree to the surgery. But not infants!

I would not think "it was fixing my child"....I would think that it would be helping to give my child a better quality of life.

Being late deafened, now for about 40 years....I do know that if I were eligible for a CI or a hearing aid that would help me hear ANY sound, I would opt for it in a heartbeat.....Unfortunately, I'm not eligible....

I would not call it "fixing" me.....it would make my life more enjoyable.....music...my family when they are talking, etc....

People have surgeries for everything under the sun, whether it being able to walk again, see again or hear again.....I know what I'm missing!

If I had a deaf child, I would expose him/her to any sounds possible, and yes, if a CI would help my child, I would agree to the surgery. But not infants!

I would not think "it was fixing my child"....I would think that it would be helping to give my child a better quality of life.

I can totally see where you're coming from, but even though your reasons are totally valid, at the end of the day, it would be fixing your or your child's deafness.

Back