"Fixing" the child or not?

If you feel you have to make sure she have access, is it because you feel her deafness is hindering her?

Yes, my daughter's deafness would hinder her if I didn't provide her with access to language -- it wouldn't be available to her naturally, incidentally in her life without intervention.

So, I provide it in two ways: through immersion-driven access to a manual language (ASL) and through CI-driven access to a spoken language (English).

Being late deafened, now for about 40 years....I do know that if I were eligible for a CI or a hearing aid that would help me hear ANY sound, I would opt for it in a heartbeat.....Unfortunately, I'm not eligible....

I would not call it "fixing" me.....it would make my life more enjoyable.....music...my family when they are talking, etc....

People have surgeries for everything under the sun, whether it being able to walk again, see again or hear again.....I know what I'm missing!

If I had a deaf child, I would expose him/her to any sounds possible, and yes, if a CI would help my child, I would agree to the surgery. But not infants!

I would not think "it was fixing my child"....I would think that it would be helping to give my child a better quality of life.

So, a deaf child without CIs don't have as good a quality of life as a deaf child with a CI?

I am wondering if the Deaf community used the term "fix" because surgery is about fixing something.

I don't see anything negative about it ..as souggy said, it has no value attached to it.

I am wondering if the Deaf community used the term "fix" because surgery is about fixing something.

I don't see anything negative about it ..as souggy said, it has no value attached to it.

I'm not sure what you mean but "fix" could also be something simple as outfitting someone with a hearing aid.

I'm not sure what you mean but "fix" could also be something simple as outfitting someone with a hearing aid.

People have bashed the Deaf community for using that term and said that they are wrong and that they aren't fixing their child but when in reality, surgery is about fixing something so...is the Deaf community wrong for using that word?

People have bashed the Deaf community for using that term and said that they are wrong and that they aren't fixing their child but when in reality, surgery is about fixing something so...is the Deaf community wrong for using that word?

Surgery is just a fact. They are cutting into the skin to place the implant, there is no "fixing" to that. If there was a way to stimulate the never without cutting the skin (surgery), they would do it that way. Would it not be "fixing" if the stem cells were delivered via an IV instead of surgery.

I think it depends on the attitude of the person using that word. I think inventors of medical things begin from a position of altruism......then the big money takes over...and none of those folks have one iota of an idea of the deaf culture as we know it, Shel.

I think it depends on the attitude of the person using that word. I think inventors of medical things begin from a position of altruism......then the big money takes over...and none of those folks have one iota of an idea of the deaf culture as we know it, Shel.

I know that...

Just if the parents dont like that term, that use cochlear implant and eliminate the word, "surgery"...then nobody can accuse anyone of "fixing" anything.

I was just wondering why it is such a sensitive word. Not just here but out there as well. People get so upset whenever it is used to describe CI surgery.

I wonder if they are offended by it because they really do want their child naturally deaf? Some hearing people torn apart by two world. . Fixing does sound like they are judging the parents but people need to accept that is how some deaf people see it.

I wonder if they are offended by it because they really do want their child naturally deaf? Some hearing people torn apart by two world. Fixing does sound like they are judging the parents but people need to accept that is how some deaf people see it.

Yea, that is what I was thinking..dont get mad at deaf people when they say it because there is some truth to it. Also, deaf people cross the line when they tell the parents they are abusive or wrong..that I can understand it being negative.

I know that...

Just if the parents dont like that term, that use cochlear implant and eliminate the word, "surgery"...then nobody can accuse anyone of "fixing" anything.

I was just wondering why it is such a sensitive word. Not just here but out there as well. People get so upset whenever it is used to describe CI surgery.

Everytime I say surgery (on anything), my MIL (who used to be a RN) would correct me and say, "procedure" ... but to me it's the same thing.

I don't get upset if you insist on saying that my child is "fixed," despite the explanations already provided for why this isn't the case. It just baffles me why you would want to talk about a child in such a way.

It's not an accurate description and gives the wrong impression that with this surgery, the child can hear exactly like a typical hearing person. If there were "fix" then my child would not need to wear processors to hear, and her cochlea would manage sounds as it was designed to do. The cochlear implant procedure doesn't address or repair the damaged part of the cochlea at all.

If there was a transplant procedure that replaced the damaged cochlea, or hair cell transplants, or stem cell therapy that produced working hair cells, then I would consider that more like what you are calling a "fix" and what i might call a repair.

Also, the word "fix" has a negative connotation that might also be considered demeaning, because we don't say that we "fix" people, we fix toys, we fix cars, and other inanimate objects. Getting a pet "fixed" means that you've had them neutered. "I'll fix you" is a threat. "Price fixing" and "the game was fixed" are often used as negatives. You "fix this mess".

But calling cochlear implants a "fix" is like handing a paraplegic a wheelchair and saying, 'there, I've "fixed" you."

But mostly, I've rarely if ever heard of a parent who said that he wants to fix his child, or a doctor claim that surgery fixes hearing, yet I often hear accusations from others: "what makes you think you have the right to fix your child." Context is important.

Yea, so if someone tells someone "You are fixing your child or yourself." and that person gets all upset saying that they are being attacked. Who is right?

They get so upset generally because they are already on the defensive. Most are very concerned about being perceived somehow as a "bad" parent by others. So they are overly sensitive to language that was never intended as insulting, yet they perceive it as such.

GrendelQ;15892[B said:
81]I don't get upset if you insist on saying that my child is "fixed," despite the explanations already provided for why this isn't the case. It just baffles me why you would want to talk about a child in such a way. [/B]
It's not an accurate description and gives the wrong impression that with this surgery, the child can hear exactly like a typical hearing person. If there were "fix" then my child would not need to wear processors to hear, and her cochlea would manage sounds as it was designed to do. The cochlear implant procedure doesn't address or repair the damaged part of the cochlea at all.

If there was a transplant procedure that replaced the damaged cochlea, or hair cell transplants, or stem cell therapy that produced working hair cells, then I would consider that more like what you are calling a "fix" and what i might call a repair.

Also, the word "fix" has a negative connotation that might also be considered demeaning, because we don't say that we "fix" people, we fix toys, we fix cars, and other inanimate objects. Getting a pet "fixed" means that you've had them neutered. "I'll fix you" is a threat. "Price fixing" and "the game was fixed" are often used as negatives. You "fix this mess".

But calling cochlear implants a "fix" is like handing a paraplegic a wheelchair and saying, 'there, I've "fixed" you."

But mostly, I've rarely if ever heard of a parent who said that he wants to fix his child, or a doctor claim that surgery fixes hearing, yet I often hear accusations from others: "what makes you think you have the right to fix your child." Context is important.

I didnt come up with that terminology..it was used by the Deaf community a long time before I learned ASL. I was just wondering why it gets people upset but I see what you mean. Thanks for explaining.

Again, Grendel, I think you hit the nail on the head.

If I gave my child, born without legs, prosthetic legs, would I be "fixing" his legs? No. I would be providing him the opportunity to walk. I am also sure that I would provide a wheelchair as well, because, I'm sure there are times that he wouldn't want to do the work of walking using the legs. Is it the same as being born able-bodied? No. Is it "fixing" them? No.

A CI is the same sort of thing. It is providing access in a way there was no access before. It doesn't change that they are deaf.

Again, Grendel, I think you hit the nail on the head.

If I gave my child, born without legs, prosthetic legs, would I be "fixing" his legs? No. I would be providing him the opportunity to walk. I am also sure that I would provide a wheelchair as well, because, I'm sure there are times that he wouldn't want to do the work of walking using the legs. Is it the same as being born able-bodied? No. Is it "fixing" them? No.

A CI is the same sort of thing. It is providing access in a way there was no access before. It doesn't change that they are deaf.

Actually, you would be fixing the absence of legs.

Back