"Fixing" the child or not?

Where did she say that? Do you happen to have the link? I'm curious.

But she never said that Deaf people need fixed, did she? Did she say that all Deaf people should stop using ASL and get CI's so they aren't deaf anymore? Anything like that?

It was like in 2007..wow, three years ago. I will try to find it.

She made so many comments that gave the implication that deaf people with CIs had a better quality of life than those who didnt. I havent read the blog in 3 years so I dont know if she has changed her views but during that time, many people attacked her for the comments she has made.

Oh, I sent Jillio and a few other ADers the link to Rachel's blog and to some DeafRead comments when Melissa was making comments.

That was one big reason why I stopped reading Deafread..I didnt like reading stereotyping of our way of life by people like her.

She's not on Deafread anymore.

Oh, I sent Jillio and a few other ADers the link to Rachel's blog and to some DeafRead comments when Melissa was making comments.

That was one big reason why I stopped reading Deafread..I didnt like reading stereotyping of our way of life by people like her.

Regardless, it still make me want to finish my English/History degree.

Even if all the paper means is wiping your ass with it after you landed a job at Wendy's.

Regardless, it still make me want to finish my English/History degree.

Even if all the paper means is wiping your ass with it after you landed a job at Wendy's.

:laugh2:

She has referred to us as "those people" and how we are low educated. That was like 2 years ago. I was disgusted.

oh yeah.. and some deaf people have bragged about how better they can hear and speak --like my sister at one time, but since I got the implant, it seem like she humbled herself and joined the deaf culture and ASL (or maybe it was the phone issues and she had enough of the hearing society). At the time, I did tell her that she should get one like me, and she told me, no she is waiting for stem cell. But now, I don't think she is interested in stem cell and neither am I. I think we both know how much this competition on who can hear/speak better is really hurting us.

The issue is that the child can't be born naturally. If the problem isn't fixed, the child doesn't get born.:roll:

No, if the issue is a uterine or pelvic maldormation, the c-section does not fix the malformation, it bypasses it.

Yep. I remember that comment extremely well.

It is such a protrayal of an attitude of superiority. Disgusting.

alldeafseriouscat.jpg

CJB: It is a cat saying that this thread is too serious.

TOO SRS.

Yep. I remember that comment extremely well.

It is such a protrayal of an attitude of superiority. Disgusting.

Do you remember exactly what she said? The details are very vague...

No, if the issue is a uterine or pelvic maldormation, the c-section does not fix the malformation, it bypasses it.

It FIXES the problem of the child being stuck in the birth canal. Just as a CI FIXES the problem auditory stimuli not being received.

oh yeah.. and some deaf people have bragged about how better they can hear and speak --like my sister at one time, but since I got the implant, it seem like she humbled herself and joined the deaf culture and ASL (or maybe it was the phone issues and she had enough of the hearing society). At the time, I did tell her that she should get one like me, and she told me, no she is waiting for stem cell. But now, I don't think she is interested in stem cell and neither am I. I think we both know how much this competition on who can hear/speak better is really hurting us.

Growing up under the audist view of deafness, my best friend and I used to compete with who can hear and speak better. It was awful.

Do you remember exactly what she said? The details are very vague...

I can't remember verbatim because I make a conscious effort not to remember stupid remarks like the ones she made. But the gist of it was that signing Deaf that choose not to have a CI were not as smart or as well adjusted and did not have as high a quality of life as those who spoke and had a CI.

It FIXES the problem of the child being stuck in the birth canal. Just as a CI FIXES the problem auditory stimuli not being received.

But you agree that it does not fix the primary problem, just like a CI does not fix deafness?

I can't remember verbatim because I make a conscious effort not to remember stupid remarks like the ones she made. But the gist of it was that signing Deaf that choose not to have a CI were not as smart or as well adjusted and did not have as high a quality of life as those who spoke and had a CI.

yea, it was something to that reference. I wanted to make sure I wasnt misquoting her as it was so long ago. Time sure flies!

And if I have switched to Biology/Paleontology like I had planned, that BSc is good for wiping my ass after I get a job at A&W's!

I like Wendy's burgers more though.

Sad that many of us have degrees but they are worth shit.

Back