First Evaluation from Audiologist since years

Heyy!! You have got many supportive comments already! I hope you decide to stick around, this is a great forum! :) very supportive too!! Don't worry too much about the audi appointment, just do what you can do. That's what it's for, to determine your needs and to make sure you are wearing the right hearing aids for your loss!

i agree wow that was deep our journey..in a hearing world thanks light

:confused: In a hearing world???? Maybe, but this is suppose to be a journey in the Deaf world, too. Being deaf is wonderful and yeah, we might have problems with the hearing world. Just have to learn to live with learning how to sign the sign language like ASL. Learn about who we are in the Deaf Culture. Just be happy being deaf or hard of hearing. Just my :2c: for you, Minilee. :cool2:

Heyy!! You have got many supportive comments already! I hope you decide to stick around, this is a great forum! :) very supportive too!! Don't worry too much about the audi appointment, just do what you can do. That's what it's for, to determine your needs and to make sure you are wearing the right hearing aids for your loss!

yeah i will stick around thanks its kinda funny i thought since i was young people wouldnt want to talk to me silly me :hmm: thanks lissa

hought since i was young people wouldnt want to talk to me silly me
Nah...we don't have a lot of teens, although I've brought up the idea of having a teen forum. But most of us have been dhh since we were young...and most of us aren't the Self Help for Hard of Hearing folks demographic (old ladies with ITE aids and who are late deafened)

Nah...we don't have a lot of teens, although I've brought up the idea of having a teen forum. But most of us have been dhh since we were young...and most of us aren't the Self Help for Hard of Hearing folks demographic (old ladies with ITE aids and who are late deafened)

Where do you guys all get the idea she is late deafened? I think she goes to CSDR

Where do you guys all get the idea she is late deafened?
Botte, no you're misunderstanding. Most forums for the dhh have a TON of late deafened folks, rather then folks who have been dhh since they were young.

:confused: In a hearing world???? Maybe, but this is suppose to be a journey in the Deaf world, too. Being deaf is wonderful and yeah, we might have problems with the hearing world. Just have to learn to live with learning how to sign the sign language like ASL. Learn about who we are in the Deaf Culture. Just be happy being deaf or hard of hearing. Just my :2c: for you, Minilee. :cool2:

yeh thank you very much i love your 2 cents its pretty funny you are very nice and im glad that you are teaching me i appreciate it. yes i sign and yes i should learn more about deaf culture. and sure im happy to be deaf just kinda dawning on me. :)

Thanks..I used to indentify as hoh when I first lost my hearing but now i am severe close to profound so i identify as deaf. They don't really know what caused my deafness they think its probably genetic. Ya I am turning 21 in a month! woo I will finally be legal everywhere and not just in my country lol I used to decorate my black hearing aids with diamonds...like the ones u can get for your nails or cellphone to add designs ...u can use those on your hearing aids...and the FM helps with speech...u can always try it to see if you like it...your school should provide FM for you I believe. This helps with directionality since if the teacher moves the mic goes with it and still picks up the teachers speech :) and No i don't sign....YET! lol I saw your pics...you have phonak aids too:) What is the name of the aids you are wearing? they look like phonak UNA's ...they should say the name on the aid? Lemme know:)

ohh sure alicia id o have those are u an expert or what im blown away!!! lol
yes they are una
wow yeah ur youngie like me too cool so cool.
yeah the fm system well the teachers refuse to wear sometimes
i feel the discrimination my thoughts go to you because it has to be hard
although im intrested how does it sound to not be able to hear when you do hear before? i never really see that much
so what do you do at school?
what do you have?
your pretty :)

yes i sign and yes i should learn more about deaf culture.
Well, that's why you should find out about any stuff you could do at the Deaf School Maybe you could contact someone at the Deaf School about starting a club for mainstreamed dhh kids in Riverside. There are some summer programs at NTID and Gally you might be interested in......

Where do you guys all get the idea she is late deafened? I think she goes to CSDR

i was mainstreamed now im going to go to csdr but its my choice to continue mainstream or go to all deaf school im nto late deafened its just because i now started wearing hearing aids, now started to embrace my deafness, and ssuch things as that. and many people are finally making me upset about it so its zooming into focus at me. its all to much at once ya know.

ohh sure alicia id o have those are u an expert or what im blown away!!! lol
yes they are una
wow yeah ur youngie like me too cool so cool.
yeah the fm system well the teachers refuse to wear sometimes
i feel the discrimination my thoughts go to you because it has to be hard
although im intrested how does it sound to not be able to hear when you do hear before? i never really see that much
so what do you do at school?
what do you have?
your pretty :)

LOL not really an expert...I used to have those myself...and they are NOT sufficient for a sever/profound loss...you shouldn't be wearing those aids. When you go for your audiogram (tests with the beeps etc) tell them you think you should have different hearing aids. UNAs are not for a loss like yours.
Also you need to get your parents in on the school issue with the FM system that is against your IEP (individualized education plan) that you prolly have that gives you access to use the FM and it's against Americans Disability Act to refuse to wear your FM system when you need it.
I get discrimnated on from time to time..but it's usually people who think I am lying about being deaf because of my speech or it's ppl who just don't like anything out of their norm and when they see hearing aids they tense up and or act rude.
It's a lil weird to go from hearing to not hearing...and my loss has been progressive so it wasn't just a lil hearing and that was it it's been on the decline since I was 16. It was a bit hard at first but now i just go with the flow and try to get the most accomodations I can for myself esp with my education. I use an FM system too and it helps that I have small classes. Also notetakers and CART when you get to university/college are a must..it makes life so much easier.
What do I have? I think you are referring to what kind of hearing aids? I have phonak naidas :)

And thanks you are too! Are you mixed? I am italian and jamaican :)

MiniLee, welcome to the AllDeaf. If the kids teased you for being deaf, it will be blown over when you are older like in college or so. I don't remember being teased for being deaf in long, long time.

When you go for the hearing test, ask them what are your hearing in DB in each ear. They measure the hearing loss in decimal (DB).

Welcome to AD.

I hope you'll enjoy your time here. Also enjoy your time at CSDR.

Good luck with evaluation.

Cheers

was mainstreamed now im going to go to csdr
YAY!!!! That's awesome!
Do you want info about summer programs and stuff? I can post info about Gally and NTID summer programs for teens. I'm not sure how good the education is at CSDR, but the good thing is that almost all schools for the Deaf, have a fairly sizable academic program.
Glad you're taking advantage of the Deaf school op. I do think many dhh teens can benifit from attending a Deaf School. (especially with how horrible hearing schools are socially)

LOL not really an expert...I used to have those myself...and they are NOT sufficient for a sever/profound loss...you shouldn't be wearing those aids. When you go for your audiogram (tests with the beeps etc) tell them you think you should have different hearing aids. UNAs are not for a loss like yours.
Also you need to get your parents in on the school issue with the FM system that is against your IEP (individualized education plan) that you prolly have that gives you access to use the FM and it's against Americans Disability Act to refuse to wear your FM system when you need it.
I get discrimnated on from time to time..but it's usually people who think I am lying about being deaf because of my speech or it's ppl who just don't like anything out of their norm and when they see hearing aids they tense up and or act rude.
It's a lil weird to go from hearing to not hearing...and my loss has been progressive so it wasn't just a lil hearing and that was it it's been on the decline since I was 16. It was a bit hard at first but now i just go with the flow and try to get the most accomodations I can for myself esp with my education. I use an FM system too and it helps that I have small classes. Also notetakers and CART when you get to university/college are a must..it makes life so much easier.
What do I have? I think you are referring to what kind of hearing aids? I have phonak naidas :)

And thanks you are too! Are you mixed? I am italian and jamaican :)

Oh yeah I’m African American/Asian/and Puerto Rican
Alicia and cool n thanks…..but yeah I do want something to fit my loss these suck to be honest sorry…lol it’s like I rely on lip-reading more than the freaking hearing aids.
But that was my choice because the other ones were kind of expensive so the state gave me these from the hearing foundations something blah blah sorry I know about it though. But they are good aids but you are right not for me. So yeah you are right I’m sorry people are so dumb and look at you like that why would you lie about not being able to hear sounds dumb to me but yeah would knock me off my feet to hear you speaking like a hearing person but no id believe you  of course  what’s your audiogram thingy do we post it here? I don’t know how to read db. And Wow College is another story that has to be hard to adjust what teachers do that to you wow…id really go off on them…what about your peers and your family and friends

Back