fingerspelling?

lovezebras

Reaction score
I was advised to learn fingerspelling or try a bit to learn before i take asl in january...
wat is fingerspelling exactly:hmm: and is it easy to self-teach it?

It's manually signing the alphabets and numbers, I think.

Finger spelling is definitely the easiest part to learn about ASL. If you sit down for a good 20-30 minutes and study the manual alphabet, you can easily memorize it.

Learn fingerspelling first

It hasn't been said here, so maybe I'm terribly wrong, but in my view, learning to fingerspell first is nearly a necessity for learning adult ASL, as letters of the alphabet are the basis for many, many word signs. As Guido said, it's the easiest to learn--so long as you practice, practice, practice--and it makes ASL so much more logical and easier to learn.

What do some of you other ASL (and SEE) teachers think?

I think if you are learning ASL, it's not beneficial to learn how to fingerspell first.

If you are learning PSE or SEE, then fingerspelling is a useful crutch.

I know some Deaf people who can't spell worth beans but they can sign ASL.

I know some ASL instructors prefer NOT to teach fingerspelling first. I've also read some of the literature supporting signs first, then fingerspelling.

Babies and small children learn to sign first, and fingerspell later. Or if they do use any letters they use them as grouped symbols, not as parts of a spelled word.

Just my opinion. :)

Fingerspelling was a big part of my first ASL class (along with a few basic signs), but not so much since. I think the sign for "fingerspelling" is used more often than actually fingerspelling words.

We've started to do fingerspelling drills for odd combinations of letters. While we learn new signs and practice using them every week, practically half the class time is spent learning about Deaf culture and I really appreciate that.

Hi Reba,

I tried to download the Freeware and...something is up!! I have a great connection, do you know why this download may be taking so long??

Thanks, John

Fingerspelling is an important part of ASL and for me, it was the most difficult to master next to the grammatical rules of ASL.

I think if you are learning ASL, it's not beneficial to learn how to fingerspell first.

I know some ASL instructors prefer NOT to teach fingerspelling first. I've also read some of the literature supporting signs first, then fingerspelling.

Babies and small children learn to sign first, and fingerspell later. Or if they do use any letters they use them as grouped symbols, not as parts of a spelled word.

:gpost: My opinion also. :)

Hi Reba,

I tried to download the Freeware and...something is up!! I have a great connection, do you know why this download may be taking so long??

Thanks, John
Sorry, haven't got a clue. :dunno: Maybe you can find another free source. I'm sure there are others out there.

So learn the asl alphabet before i start the classes and i should maybe be ahead of the game if some people haven't?...

So learn the asl alphabet before i start the classes and i should maybe be ahead of the game if some people haven't?...

Why not? Learning anything in ASL is better than learning nothing. It will help make the classes easier. I thought ASL I was easy for me but ASL II and ASL III were hard! However, ASL classes probably are done differently in each college.

Good luck!

Fingerspelling is an important part of ASL and for me, it was the most difficult to master next to the grammatical rules of ASL.

Fingerspelling has always been difficult for me and I have trouble following it. I also notice I can't follow words when they're spelled out in English either.

Learning modes

Reba, if your opinion comes from experience, it's valuable. It reminds us all that different people learn in different ways. It's never good for teachers to think one approach fits all. Good reminder.

However, learning the alphabet is not spelling. Many people--deaf and hearing alike--can't spell well, yet still learn to "talk" and know the alphabet.

I remember my own learning of sign as a toddler was enhanced by learning some letters of the alphabet. For instance, the "r" hand was used for "rat," "ready," "restroom" (my deaf sister hated the "t" hand in a flushing motion for "toilet" ha ha ha) and even one of the ways to sign "are."

Again, thanks for pointing up that we all can learn the same thing from various directions.

Last edited:
If you're really taking ASL and not just using the term loosely/erroneously, then fingerspelling should not be a priority because if you're really taking basic sign language, you might get in the habit of spelling way too much to the point it would'nt be ASL any longer.

If English is your native language, and you are an adult, then
it would be helpful to memorize the English Alphabet in ASL
in order for Deaf people who know English as a second
language to assist you in your ongoing learning process.

In additon, I use the ASLPro website. Not only do they
have fingerspelling quizes that you can slow down or
speed up, but it also has a baby ASL sign list. I would
advise you to memorize the 125 signs on that list. They
are slightly exagerated and signed in a very careful
manner. If you had this list memorized and you could
fingerspell. Your time in class would be much less
stressful. This is important because stress impedes
learning.

You might find this interesting:

Fingerspelling and the manual alphabet should not be taught until after the students have completed at least one semester-length course in ASL.
The only exceptions would be certain fingerspelled loan words which are used like signs (e.g. #JOB for 'job', #BACK for 'go back', etc.). The reasons for this are as follows: First, fingerspelling demands fine visual perception and fine motor skills; signing does not. To expect a student to begin with a very difficult task is unfair and unwise. Second, the eyes and body need a period of adjustment before being able to handle fingerspelling effectively and efficiently. The third, teaching students to fingerspell early may discourage growth of their signing vocabulary base. Fourth, fingerspelling is simply a code for English and the students need to detach themselves from English and focus on ASL. Fifth, even if a student becomes fluent in fingerspelling, that in itself is no guarantee that s/he will be able to communicate with and be accepted by members of the Deaf community.
American Sign Language, A Teacher's Resource Text On Curriculum, Methods, and Evaluation by Dennis Cokely and Charlotte Baker, 1980, T.J. Publishers, Inc.

you could learn it, i was wondering if you already knew. most hearing people i know learned the ASL alphabet back in elementary school and they use it all the time to talk to people from across the room in class when the teacher is talking and such haha. but what i advised you to do was find out how quickly you can learn signs in general.. do you have a hard time making signs with your fingers maybe?? because i know a few people that do. maybe learning the alphabet would be a good way to find out. it's not difficult to learn the alphabet; but it's hard to be able to spell words efficiently, that takes tons of practice. why not check with the instructor for the intro ASL course, ask him/her a few questions first?

The third, teaching students to fingerspell early may discourage growth of their signing vocabulary base. Fourth, fingerspelling is simply a code for English and the students need to detach themselves from English and focus on ASL. Fifth, even if a student becomes fluent in fingerspelling, that in itself is no guarantee that s/he will be able to communicate with and be accepted by members of the Deaf community.

This is probably true in general, but for people with learning disabilities
like myself, it is hard to have faith in this theory. When I decided to
learn Morse Code, (an audio code system of dots and dashes used to
spell out words) I was told not to visually memorize the code. They
said if I did that, my translation speed would top out at 15 words per
minute. So we had to sit and listen to two letters at a time. I believe
the first were E and T. My husband was able to do it this way but I was
not. I never did finish this task. I am going to memorize the code
visually and then practice. Perhaps thats just the way my brain works,
but as far as ASL goes, learning the alphabet is a convient way to
help with your learning ASL, (of course this is dependent on the
Deaf person knowing some English)