FBI : Aliens Exist

If God created the universe, who created God? If God didn't need a creator, why does God need to be in the equation at all? And if God does need to be in the equation, how can everyone else's interpretation of the Cosmos be wrong? And if only one interpretation is right, which one is the right one?

That's why we rely on science. Science doesn't really set out to prove anything: it's proof through errors. We know what is wrong, so what is not wrong must be more right than the preceding theory or hypothesis.

If God created the universe, who created God? If God didn't need a creator, why does God need to be in the equation at all?
God is eternal, with no beginning or end.

I'm not sure what you're asking about, "why does God need to be in the equation at all."

And if God does need to be in the equation, how can everyone else's interpretation of the Cosmos be wrong? And if only one interpretation is right, which one is the right one?
Regardless of what either you or I or anyone believe, the universe was created only one way, right?

I believe that creation by God is the only way.

That's why we rely on science. Science doesn't really set out to prove anything: it's proof through errors. We know what is wrong, so what is not wrong must be more right than the preceding theory or hypothesis.
If that's what you want to do, that's your prerogative, of course.

This thread seems to have gotten off topic and is dangerously becoming "religious" in nature.

Guess it's time to lock it up. :locked: I have no desire to see this end up in flames.

The obsession with intelligent aliens from other plants, and what they can do for us, resemble the topics that religon tries to answer. So this thread already went religious in the first post, in that perspective.

The term "religion" is often used when we talk about the abrahamic religions. The word "religion" is of western origin. But if religion means a monotheist God that is the creator, it does not fit buddhism, hinduism, dao, paganism and other supernatural beliefs around the world and modern New Age, that ufology is a part of. So the everyday use of the word "religion" and what it really does mean can be a bit different. What it means on AD is a bit vague, and what's banned, too.

Reba wasn't the first one that brought up abrahamic religions in this thread, it was a secular poster, and it's only fair to let Reba defend herself. I don't get the logic if a thread only gets locked once a christian decide to defend her faith from secular claims. This thread is also pretty calm compared to some of the cochlear threads, btw.

God is eternal, with no beginning or end.

I'm not sure what you're asking about, "why does God need to be in the equation at all."

Because some scientists believe time and space is infinite, just like God, the only difference is it's more of a "it's always has been, always will be" philosophy with them without the idea of a creator. It's not hypocritical nor wrong because not even Christians can answer what came before the creation of the universe.

Regardless of what either you or I or anyone believe, the universe was created only one way, right?

Well, seeing the Big Bang theory was pioneered by Christian followerships, and later adopted by science, of course. The only question is: how will it end? No one really unerstand this yet. I wish I could link to Carl Sagan's Cosmos videos, he had a really neat way of tying various religions to scientific theories that make sense. However due to the interlacing of religious ideas and scientific ideas, it would probably get the thread locked because people would be making a debate out of something is only suppose to be poetic.

I believe that creation by God is the only way.

That's fine. It's important not to mix up parsley with hemlock. ;)

If that's what you want to do, that's your prerogative, of course.

How did Keppler prove the current model of the solar system? He didn't have to give up his faith in God to do so. I don't see why religion and science cannot co-exist. So to say science doesn't have all the answers: that's wrong. It's just our civilization haven't fully explored everything out there. Science has all the answers, it's just waiting for us to unlock it.

It's the same thing with religions. None of them have all the answers, but we spend all of our lives trying to unlock the secret behind it all. Otherwise why else people would dedicate so much time debaitng about the scriptures? Is it not a journey as well? If the Bible has all the answers, then why we spend all of our lives trying to figure out what the passages means? Theoretically, one would only have to read it once. This is not the case.

It's the same thing as science trying to define all of nature's laws and the laws of the universe with its constant revisions. For this reason, to say science doesn't hold all the answer is bull.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jymDn0W6U]YouTube - The Known Universe by AMNH[/ame]

I didn't think Reba would make this thread go down but I can't say the same for the other posters. Let us keep this civil.

Because some scientists believe time and space is infinite, just like God, the only difference is it's more of a "it's always has been, always will be" philosophy with them without the idea of a creator. It's not hypocritical nor wrong because not even Christians can answer what came before the creation of the universe.
Not just Christians believe that "before the creation of the universe" there had to be a Creator.

Well, seeing the Big Bang theory was pioneered by Christian followerships, and later adopted by science, of course.
That's one theory.

In the first chapter of Genesis, God quietly and calmly creates the universe without any banging or clatter. :giggle:

The only question is: how will it end?
There is an answer to that question in the Bible but I don't think anyone wants me to post that here and now. :)

No one really unerstand this yet. I wish I could link to Carl Sagan's Cosmos videos, he had a really neat way of tying various religions to scientific theories that make sense. However due to the interlacing of religious ideas and scientific ideas, it would probably get the thread locked because people would be making a debate out of something is only suppose to be poetic.
Got it. :)

How did Keppler prove the current model of the solar system? He didn't have to give up his faith in God to do so.
Oddly enough, people seem to think that the Bible taught that the earth was flat and other "anti-scientific" beliefs. It did not, and does not. Somehow, certain cultures and religious leaders got the notion of the flat earth and all that other stuff. It wasn't biblical. Great scientists and explorers of history were also men of strong faith in the Bible, and they saw no conflict.

...If the Bible has all the answers, then why we spend all of our lives trying to figure out what the passages means? Theoretically, one would only have to read it once. This is not the case.
It's not the Bible that doesn't have the answers. It's man who muddles it with a mind clouded by sin and personal agendas, combined with Satan's intentional influence of misquoting and misinterpretation that influences people. Ever since Satan misquoted and misinterpreted God's words to Eve, we've had that problem.

It's the same thing as science trying to define all of nature's laws and the laws of the universe with its constant revisions. For this reason, to say science doesn't hold all the answer is bull.
Someday they'll finally all know the right answer.

The obsession with intelligent aliens from other plants, and what they can do for us, resemble the topics that religon tries to answer. So this thread already went religious in the first post, in that perspective.

I've not seen anyone discussing "what they can do for us" here, it's mostly been discussion of "can/do they even exist". Which is superficially similar to religion, I guess, in that the same question can be asked about central figures in religion, too. Doesn't make the inquiries the same, since I can also ask "Does a table even exist?" but that doesn't make table discussions the same as religious ones.

The term "religion" is often used when we talk about the abrahamic religions. The word "religion" is of western origin. But if religion means a monotheist God that is the creator, it does not fit buddhism, hinduism, dao, paganism and other supernatural beliefs around the world and modern New Age, that ufology is a part of. So the everyday use of the word "religion" and what it really does mean can be a bit different. What it means on AD is a bit vague, and what's banned, too.

Reba wasn't the first one that brought up abrahamic religions in this thread, it was a secular poster, and it's only fair to let Reba defend herself. I don't get the logic if a thread only gets locked once a christian decide to defend her faith from secular claims. This thread is also pretty calm compared to some of the cochlear threads, btw.

I (and I think others, but I can only speak for myself) was using "religion" to cover any form of supernatural belief, with "supernatural" meaning "something that (through any mechanism whatsoever) defies the laws that govern nature".

I will admit that this is a tricky definition, given that science isn't required to adhere to a pre-defined set of laws, it's merely a process that tries to discover what those laws are. However, to make it palatable (and disprovable), I'll say that if it is somehow discovered that the universe or anything that exists is non-deterministic, then that would also be "supernatural". (This means at the simplest level - many people don't think that humans and human behavior is deterministic, but humans and human brains and human bodies are all made up of deterministic particles.)

In regards to the rest of that, while I would agree and lump all of those categories in with "religion", it's more of an American tendency to only categorize monotheistic-style beliefs as "religion", of which scientific theories do not fall under. To that point, I don't think "religion" specifically had been mentioned prior, but I'm likely just as guilty as anyone else for responding and propagating (side note: I always misspell that word) the topic. Wait, shit. I did it again, just now.

Your question of "why is God necessary" has an implicit assumption that Occam's razor should be applied when considering different explanations. Reba, I'm pretty sure, would reject the entire premises Occam's razor.

I didn't think Reba would make this thread go down but I can't say the same for the other posters. Let us keep this civil.

I think I've stayed civil. :)

If not... sorry.

Not just Christians believe that "before the creation of the universe" there had to be a Creator.

Christians tend to be pinpointed when discussing creationism, because they're the primary proponents of it in the US, and because most of those who reject it are more familiar with Christianity than with other faiths which are also proponents because they locally hear and see more of Christianity.

For myself, any arguments that reject Christian creationism also reject all other forms of supernatural creationism, until you start getting metaphysical and claim that a natural process/reaction such as the Big Bang is "the creator" or other such ballyhoo. (Side note: Apparently 'ballyhoo' is a real word, recognized by my spell checker. How awesome is that?)

That's one theory.

In the first chapter of Genesis, God quietly and calmly creates the universe without any banging or clatter. :giggle:

How... refined. :giggle:

There is an answer to that question in the Bible but I don't think anyone wants me to post that here and now. :)

Well, I'd be fine with it, but my response to it might come from the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. :cool2:

Oddly enough, people seem to think that the Bible taught that the earth was flat and other "anti-scientific" beliefs. It did not, and does not. Somehow, certain cultures and religious leaders got the notion of the flat earth and all that other stuff. It wasn't biblical. Great scientists and explorers of history were also men of strong faith in the Bible, and they saw no conflict.

You agree that it (or your interpretation, at least) teaches creationism, rather than evolution, right? That's "anti-scientific" enough for me.

Someday they'll finally all know the right answer.

That's a nice thought, and maybe if we manage to build self-refining general artificial intelligence, that might be possible, but at least with our current tools, we certainly don't have the accuracy possible to know the exactly "right answer". On top of that, while we may eventually know enough to define the functions and equations that define how our existence... exists/works (couldn't think of a better word, sorry), it may end up being so finely tuned that it would require a computer larger than the existing universe to actually "calculate".

I think I've stayed civil. :)

If not... sorry.

Oh, you were quite civil, StShappire. I didnt have you in mind.
It's just that a lot of stuff about religion and God tend to end up in flames around here.

Oh, you were quite civil, StShappire. I didnt have you in mind.
It's just that a lot of stuff about religion and God tend to end up in flames around here.

\o/

And yeah, I'm honestly shocked that this thread has gotten as far as it has so far. I wonder if that's an implicit agreement that we're allowed to play with the adult topics when we talk about them like adults?

I've not seen anyone discussing "what they can do for us" here, it's mostly been discussion of "can/do they even exist". Which is superficially similar to religion, I guess, in that the same question can be asked about central figures in religion, too. Doesn't make the inquiries the same, since I can also ask "Does a table even exist?" but that doesn't make table discussions the same as religious ones.
With "what they can do for us", I mean what the consquences would be if the kind of aliens in the OP existed. That means, humanlike beeings that are able to travel through the universe. Why the obsessions with this kind of aliens. It resembles the obsessions with angels, demons, gods, God, ghost, spirits. We belive in them because they give us something. We are talking about humanoid aliens, more developed than us, that master technology that we would do anyting to get hold of. In reality, perhaps those aliens would be so different from us, in shape, motivations and thought, that we wouldn't be able to learn anything from them at all, and nothing they did made sense to us. We aren't even able to communicate with species living among us.

Not saying that "intelligent" aliens do not exist, but the psychology behind visiting aliens have been around us for millennia. Before this century, we had strange creatures in the sea and forrest.

And, survival, in an environment that increasingly calls for greater intelligence, is the way evolution has been headed for several decades. Therefore, a predisposition toward that which increases survival...greater intelligence. We certainly don't need stronger swimming skills...if we did we would have a predisposition toward developing fins and gills.

Look at dogs:

Golden retrievers and border collies have more "social intelligence" than lapdogs or guard dogs do. Social intelligence being the ability to recognize multiple humans and interact with them.

If the aristocrats of the British hunting estates could select for such sagacity by using imported St. John Water Dogs from Labradors and crossing them with Setters, Water Spaniels and Collies within a span of less than two hundred years.... that in itself is an amazing accomplishment. Such dogs could be rented to any nobles who wanted to hunt with them, and that dog will remember what each person expect out of them the next time they were rented out again. The fact they were required to work with strange dogs they never met before and work as a team also increase the need for social intelligence. This is with artificial selection.

It is obvious with natural selection, there is pressure for humans to be able to network and share resources in order to survive. It's the very nature of our social intelligence that enables us to thrive. However unlike Golden Retrievers, Border Collies, Australian Cattle Dogs, German Shepherd Dogs and other "superdogs," we have the benefit of passing down information through oral stories and eventually writing.

It's no doubt intelligent lifeforms else where would require group-think data storage well in order to develop technology to create civilizations.

Look at dogs:

Golden retrievers and border collies have more "social intelligence" than lapdogs or guard dogs do. Social intelligence being the ability to recognize multiple humans and interact with them.

If the aristocrats of the British hunting estates could select for such sagacity by using imported St. John Water Dogs from Labradors and crossing them with Setters, Water Spaniels and Collies within a span of less than two hundred years.... that in itself is an amazing accomplishment. Such dogs could be rented to any nobles who wanted to hunt with them, and that dog will remember what each person expect out of them the next time they were rented out again. The fact they were required to work with strange dogs they never met before and work as a team also increase the need for social intelligence. This is with artificial selection.

It is obvious with natural selection, there is pressure for humans to be able to network and share resources in order to survive. It's the very nature of our social intelligence that enables us to thrive. However unlike Golden Retrievers, Border Collies, Australian Cattle Dogs, German Shepherd Dogs and other "superdogs," we have the benefit of passing down information through oral stories and eventually writing.

It's no doubt intelligent lifeforms else where would require group-think data storage well in order to develop technology to create civilizations.

Dang, you mean that given time, my dirty socks can develop nuclear capability?

\o/

And yeah, I'm honestly shocked that this thread has gotten as far as it has so far. I wonder if that's an implicit agreement that we're allowed to play with the adult topics when we talk about them like adults?
Perhaps, but remember we are still on topic with visiting aliens, and religion is hard to keep out of that topic, and it's not the main topic. I've seen this before in other political threads. If the topic were "wich religion is the right one", it would probably been locked on the first page.

Dang, you mean that given time, my dirty socks can develop nuclear capability?

I don't think socks count as intelligent life form. :lol: Given enough time, the germs on your dirty socks could become intelligent life forms. I'm thinking on scale of a hundred million years.

Your question of "why is God necessary" has an implicit assumption that Occam's razor should be applied when considering different explanations. Reba, I'm pretty sure, would reject the entire premises Occam's razor.

Ockham's razor was kind of necessary in my case. I grew up in a family who had multiple Biblical interpretations, no one ever saw things eye to eye, we have a few people who still held onto Shamanism from being on the reserves, a few neopagans, a Muslim here and there. Science is and was the unifying thing for me that made everyone's belief systems compatible with one another. As long I have science behind me, everyone can co-exist peacefully in my head instead of having voices bickering about who is right and who is wrong with their philosophical discussions. Oh geez, didn't means to sound like a schizophrenic.

But it seems like a lot of people misunderstand how science works, even atheists themselves don't really understand the process.

Back