FBI : Aliens Exist

If I were an alien, and knew of earth, not sure I would visit it, due to the extremely violent nature of the ruling species and their destructive use of controlled energy. Putting it under surveillance, perhaps.

You would think that automobiles were the dominant lifeform. :lol:

Yes, I know the meaning is different.

Theories are still subject to change; they aren't the same as scientific "fact." Look at how many times the scientific theories for how the universe began have been changed.

There are some scientific "laws," too, such as Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, so they're not all theories.

Just because some people are unable to accept that there is an Almighty Creator because it contradicts their rejection of God doesn't alter the fact that Creation is true.
Creation can mean that God created the universe some billion of years ago, or that God created the earth some 6000 years ago, or something inbetween.

Theories are still subject to change; they aren't the same as scientific "fact." Look at how many times the scientific theories for how the universe began have been changed.

There's around at least 50 different English versions of the Bible available for purchase.

Yes, I know the meaning is different.

There are some scientific "laws," too, such as Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, so they're not all theories.

Poor choice - Newtonian Physics was superseded by Einsteinian Relativity. That's how science works - hypotheses are updated or replaced with newer hypotheses as new evidence and more accurate observations are made. Also of note - to the best of my knowledge, there's never actually been a scientific theory for the beginning of the universe, since there's nowhere near enough evidence to formulate a coherent theory that accounts for all evidence in regards to the subject.

Just because some people are unable to accept that there is an Almighty Creator because it contradicts their rejection of God doesn't alter the fact that Creation is true.

You're stretching.

There's around at least 50 different English versions of the Bible available for purchase.
The differences between the translations are pretty minor.

The differences arise from updating the bible to modern languages with dynamic equivalence, idiomatic or formal equivalence translation principles. We also have two kind of "orginal" greek sources, the traditional textus receptus, a bible based on the byzantine tradition, and the other, based on the oldest texts available, like the codex alexandrinus that researchers try to improve the translations of, though improvements are minor to the average reader. Several translations of the bible try to include all of those traditions to give the reader a precise as possible access to the bible, but it's not for everyone.

The impressive part, is how similar those sources and traditions are to each other, even if found in different countries in different eras.

It's an unscientific proposition that is, by definition, unable to be proven or disproven. There's no evidence whatsoever in favor of it, and it provides no new insights or predictions.

Scientific "theory" is different from the common usage of the word "theory" (meaning hunch or idea or whatnot). It's also still called the "theory of gravity" and the "atomic theory". Evolution has just as much (if not more) evidence in its favor than even the theory of gravity. It's a scientific fact.

Just because some people are unable to accept it because it contradicts their mythologies doesn't alter the fact that it's true.

Correct. People often confuse "theory" with "hypopthesis". They say "theory", but mean "hypothesis".

It's an unscientific proposition that is, by definition, unable to be proven or disproven. There's no evidence whatsoever in favor of it, and it provides no new insights or predictions.

Scientific "theory" is different from the common usage of the word "theory" (meaning hunch or idea or whatnot). It's also still called the "theory of gravity" and the "atomic theory". Evolution has just as much (if not more) evidence in its favor than even the theory of gravity. It's a scientific fact.

Just because some people are unable to accept it because it contradicts their mythologies doesn't alter the fact that it's true.
:gpost:

But on a serious note, I kinda doubt you'll be seeing any research indicating that my cat is capable of even doing something as simple as simple addition or subtraction.
And why is adding & subtracting "intelligent"/important. Can I not live my life w/o it? And do you know that other animals don't add & subtract...in their own way? Just because we can't "understand" other animals does not mean they're not intelligent.

I've always wondered. Is it purple or does it eat purple people?

It eats purple people! Watch out Botti!!

The One-Eyed One-Horned Flying Purple People Eater

Well I saw the thing coming out of the sky
It had one long horn and one big eye
I commenced to shakin' and I said oo-wee
It looks like a purple people eater to me
It was a one-eyed one-horned flying purple people eater
Sure looks good to me

Well, he came down to earth and he lit in a tree
I said mr Purple People Eater don't eat me
I heard him say in a voice so gruff
I wouldn't eat you 'cos you're too tough
It sure looks strange to me

I said mr Purple People Eater what's your line
He said eating purple people and it sure is fine
But that's not the reason that I came to land
I wanna get a job in a rock 'n roll band
Well, bless my soul rock 'n roll flying' purple people eater
Pigeon-toed under-growed flyin' purple people eater
one-eyed one-horned it was a people eater
What a sight to see

Well, he swung from the tree and he lit on the ground
he started to rock really rockin' around
It was a crazy ditty with a swinging tune
Wop bop a lula wop bam boom
one-eyes one-horned flying people eater
Ooh, it sure looks strange to me

Well he went on his way and then what do you know
I saw him last night on a TV show
He was a blowin' it out and really knockin' them dead
Playing rock 'n roll music through the horn in his head

It eats purple people! Watch out Botti!!

The One-Eyed One-Horned Flying Purple People Eater

Well I saw the thing coming out of the sky
It had one long horn and one big eye
I commenced to shakin' and I said oo-wee
It looks like a purple people eater to me
Sure looks good to me

Well, he came down to earth and he lit in a tree
I said mr Purple People Eater don't eat me
I heard him say in a voice so gruff
I wouldn't eat you 'cos you're too tough
It sure looks strange to me

I said mr Purple People Eater what's your line
He said eating purple people and it sure is fine
But that's not the reason that I came to land
I wanna get a job in a rock 'n roll band
Well, bless my soul rock 'n roll flying' purple people eater
Pigeon-toed under-growed flyin' purple people eater
one-eyed one-horned it was a people eater
What a sight to see

Well, he swung from the tree and he lit on the ground
he started to rock really rockin' around
It was a crazy ditty with a swinging tune
Wop bop a lula wop bam boom
one-eyes one-horned flying people eater
Ooh, it sure looks strange to me

Well he went on his way and then what do you know
I saw him last night on a TV show
He was a blowin' it out and really knockin' them dead
Playing rock 'n roll music through the horn in his head
Not people who like the color purple, but purple people? I am probably fine. :hmm:

And why is adding & subtracting "intelligent"/important. Can I not live my life w/o it? And do you know that other animals don't add & subtract...in their own way? Just because we can't "understand" other animals does not mean they're not intelligent.

It's just a very simple demonstration of abstract thinking that no other animals that we've discovered have shown any ability to perform.

Of note - this doesn't necessarily make us "better" or anything else of the sort. But it does make us more intelligent.

It's just a very simple demonstration of abstract thinking that no other animals that we've discovered have shown any ability to perform.

Of note - this doesn't necessarily make us "better" or anything else of the sort. But it does make us more intelligent.

Before a tsunami, the animals head to higher ground while humans stay put to be killed. Who is more intelligent?

Poor choice - Newtonian Physics was superseded by Einsteinian Relativity. That's how science works - hypotheses are updated or replaced with newer hypotheses as new evidence and more accurate observations are made. Also of note - to the best of my knowledge, there's never actually been a scientific theory for the beginning of the universe, since there's nowhere near enough evidence to formulate a coherent theory that accounts for all evidence in regards to the subject.
Therefor, science doesn't have the final answer to the question of origins.

You're stretching.
Not at all.

Therefor, science doesn't have the final answer to the question of origins.

Define "final answer". If you mean "100% absolutely factual truth of reality" then no, of course not. Nor has it ever claim to. Science simply tries to explain, in the simplest but most accurate terms possible, all evidence to the point gathered.

Not at all.

Yes, really. People don't (generally) start from a position of "I don't want to believe in a God" - most atheists I know started from a position of being raised religious. The more they learned and the more evidence they gathered led them to reject the idea of a God. Not the other way around.

My post implied that evidence was dismissed in favor of a preconceived idea. Your post tries to imply the same (rather than dismissing an idea that contradicts evidence), and is stretching in having done so.

Define "final answer". If you mean "100% absolutely factual truth of reality" then no, of course not. Nor has it ever claim to. Science simply tries to explain, in the simplest but most accurate terms possible, all evidence to the point gathered.

Yes, really. People don't (generally) start from a position of "I don't want to believe in a God" - most atheists I know started from a position of being raised religious. The more they learned and the more evidence they gathered led them to reject the idea of a God. Not the other way around.

My post implied that evidence was dismissed in favor of a preconceived idea. Your post tries to imply the same (rather than dismissing an idea that contradicts evidence), and is stretching in having done so.

I'm a good example: I come from 3 generations of Baptist ministers on my father's side. My great-great grandfather, great grandfather and my grandfather all were Baptist ministers. Granddaddy Smith never stuck me as a hell and brimstone kind of preacher.

I used to read the bible that my parents and church gave me. I still have the church bible and it's like about ten feet away from me. I think the other bible is in the attic of my brother's house.

However, I have a tendency to question things and to look for supporting evidence and that lead to my lack of belief in in God. Though I call myself atheist, I should more properly be called agonistic as I think if there is a God, he or she is not likely to resemble the gods of various religions on this earth.

Faith in God isn't passed down genetically. Parents can influence and guide their children in one direction or another but it's still up to the individual to decide whether to trust God or not.

Neither I nor Hubby had any preacher ancestors that we knew of, and neither one of us grew up in a Christian household. We accepted Christ as our Savior, individually, as adults in our late twenties.

(Oops, I forgot, I did have a preacher ancestor on the Mayflower but I don't count him as a spiritual influence to my salvation. I'm old but not old enough to have met him. :giggle: )

Back