Fast Food Resturant Drive-Thru

I think it would be great for the drive thrus to have a touch screen for ordering. I'm hearing and those speaker boxes are difficult to hear sometimes because it makes the speech very garbled.

I lost my voice from an infection once and couldn't use the Drive-thru at taco Bell. Too bad it was so cold and I didn't feel like getting out. Anyhow I had to go in and write down my order for the cashier. So she must've thought I was deaf and signed thank you to me and made sure she handed me my order when the other worker just calls out the number. I was really glad to know that she would make sure to take care of all her customers nicely.

how did you know that if you aredeaf

VamPyroX said:
I've made a few mistakes in my times. Once, the speaker said, "Please hold for one moment." I didn't understand what he said so I started giving out my order. At the end after I said, "And... that's it." The speaker said, "Thanks for holding, may I take your order?" Boy, was I embarassed. Luckily, there was no one ahead of me or behind me! Hehehe!
can you hearsspeaker saying thjat huhBUT anyway i like mc danold that has two drive thru.

harleymn said:
can you hearsspeaker saying thjat huhBUT anyway i like mc danold that has two drive thru.

Vampy is HOH, I met him in person once. :)

The McDonalid's nearest to my house has 2 drivethrus and a screenboard for order accuracy.

I've done the bank thing no problem. Though when I have to send a note I always wonder if the Teller fears it's a robbery note :)

I avoid the fast food drive thru for the simple reason that I can't see the register and don't know what the total is.

Booger service at Burger King

Folks,

Youll find this interesting happened last month.

At my office I jotted down an order for our staff at the deaf center and took it to the Burger King across the river;

2 whoppers pickles only
large french fries
cheddar cheese bacon chicken sandwich combo w/onion rings

the cashier put on the ticket

angus special
chicken strips
onion rings

Whats the use of writing your order on paper if the cashier cant read English at all.

Richard

Today I went to McDonald's, as I pulled up drive-thru and I gave paper (what I wrote down to order) and told me to come back in 10 minutes since I got there little bit early for lunch. So I parked and wait for 10 minutes, then went back to drive-thru, got my orders, paid for it then went to second next window to get my meals and lady asked me if I could move and park there I was like uh no and I signed with expression, I'm staying here. She didn't argue with me and hurried up to give my meals. :cool:

You absolutely have every right to use the drive-thru; why should only us hearies be subjected to the circuitous 'who's on first?' routine? I know I've had some hearing loss, but nothing that would account for the audio-garbage that passes for communication there :-o .

BTW, Heather, you go girl.

Those speakers are hard to understand for anyone.

me- Cheeseburger, no mayo please
order taker- ok, one cheeseburger, extra tomato
me- no, it's no mayo
them- okay, got it

And what do they present me with at the window? Chicken sandwich! uggghhh

One of my major concerns about more and more
fast-food chains have been hiring more Spanish-speaking
people !!! Plus, they can NOT even read English
making things more difficult for deafies to
communicate with these Spanish employees.

I'm a good lip-reader myself, but I can NOT lipread
these Spanish people at all.
I asked them to write something down,
but they refused to write anything only
because they do NOT read/write English.

There is no win-win situation here.

yep

I know what you mean.If they cant understand you tell them in spanish go back to mexico in spanish words only.heheh

happened to me, i drove to see teller window to give my note same time she was headphone speaking cause confused my and other order other window i got wrong meal first time i left and found out and came back i was pissed off but next time i always check before leave window, too bad for behind cars be patience!! also sometimes other fast restaurant teller asked to move forward to wait for my order other ordered headphone cut my line ugh but polite my husband has to stay and got kicked out, huh, :roll:
i been wondering why there is no screen here west coast, maybe others may play around and not pick, dunno, how was east or wherever has screen to order there post it

I don't go drive thru unless I have a hearing friend or family with me. Most of the time, I just walk in there and order some food and sit down and chat with my friends, that's what I do mostly. :)

I tried to drive right up to the window that had a person behind it to order, ignoring the speaker box. The girl looked a little uncomfortable when I told her I was deaf and wanted to order from here. It's less trouble for me to just go in and order, but wouldn't you say the speaker boxes discrimnate against people who can't hear?

dawn said:
I tried to drive right up to the window that had a person behind it to order, ignoring the speaker box. The girl looked a little uncomfortable when I told her I was deaf and wanted to order from here. It's less trouble for me to just go in and order, but wouldn't you say the speaker boxes discrimnate against people who can't hear?

I think so, some managers know too, my husband got apologized and given certificate free food..

dawn said:
Sometimes, it's difficult when you're in an area that's not familiar with their deaf customers. The more common it is, the easier it is. We can't expect every store to be ready for deaf customers if they never have deaf customers. It might be a good idea if you went to that specific fast food restaurant and talked to the manager about it. Sometimes, it does help if you can work with the manager and inform them that you are a frequent customer at that place. Once they realize that you're frequent, they might be able to help out in the future. :)

There should be disability laws for the deaf. Like some public places must also must put monitors for the deaf to read sporting events must put billboards for deaf read infomation about the game. Movie theaters must provide captions. OR be sued just like wheelchair people have sued sports teams,,resterants and public places because they didnt have resources to support them.

ravensteve1961 said:
There should be disability laws for the deaf. Like some public places must also must put monitors for the deaf to read sporting events must put billboards for deaf read infomation about the game. Movie theaters must provide captions. OR be sued just like wheelchair people have sued sports teams,,resterants and public places because they didnt have resources to support them.
Yes, there should be resources available. However, they should take it easy with whether it's highly needed or not. If there is a town that has no deaf citizens and has never seen any deaf people in their life, then I wouldn't try forcing them to have all the resources ready. It's like having a TTY that's never used. Heh!

Well every damn bathroom i walk into has the sign.
mens.gif

Wheres a deaf door sign? :dunno:

No,,But they should put a small montor to read what you owe or what your ordered. Like create a deaf ticket window when you go at the box office for movies or sporting events. I like selfserve checkout lines at stores so that way you just read what you owe instead cashier asking you something that you cant hear. I like to see a self serve automatic ordering window at mc donalds and you just push what you want and put the money in the slot and underneath theres your big mac coke n fries.

Back