Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery

You know, the mother who was pregnant and died, and they were keeping her alive so the fetus could be born, they had problems long before they turned off the ventilator. They said that she smelled like she was rotting and the skin was peeling off her hands, and her body was becoming so stiff that when you tried to hold her hand there were cracking noises coming from her bones or tendons or ligaments. That was 8 weeks after death. This girl has been dead nearly that long, hasn't she? Or maybe even longer? Because at the hospital when they were suctioning her lungs after she had died they said that the crud they suctioned smelled rotten, just like death smells.

I don't know how they can be hiding these very obvious physical signs from themselves.

I guess you just dont see them, block them off your mind and not intentionally. They loved that girl and disnt want her away. So what does the mind do? Make it look like its ok. Sometimes people still have hope when the doctors say otherwise.

I guess you just dont see them, block them off your mind and not intentionally. They loved that girl and disnt want her away. So what does the mind do? Make it look like its ok. Sometimes people still have hope when the doctors say otherwise.

I had a cousin that I never met . He had an accident when diving off a cliff with some friends . My cousin who name was Marty hit his head on a rock and his buddy had no idea how bad he was hurt and tried rolling him on a wooden barrel to get the water out of his lungs. Marty has no feeling in his body and this happen before I was born so there was not much that could be done . His was an only child and his parents still decided it was best to let him dies . His dad dies of a broken heart two days before his son dies. I think my aunt and uncle where very brave to let their son dies in peace and not tried to keep him alive in a body he could no longer use . My mom said she never seen dad cry so much was as when he lost his nephew and favorite brother. I named my dog Marty after my cousin.
I would never want have to go thought this. Does anyone of us really know what we would if this was our child?

If Jahi was my child I would have pulled the plug and let her organs be harvested to save some other lives. They can't even do that now.

This is why people should have a living will. Once you get plugged in it's very hard to get unplugged . My ex husband dad was hooked up to keep alive and when he was brain dead the family could not get him unplugged , that was consider 'killing' him . They had to wait and it was horrible for the family , they did not hook up their mother and she dies peacefully and the family did not have worry about how much pain she was in for weeks or longer.

She was 13. Too young to have a living will. Also, in her situation they encourage unplugging, because she's dead.

Yes, it is not known of a brain dead person coming back. Once the signals and brain functioning die, you're essentially just a body. The sad part is they're just making it harder on themselves. She will only deteriorate further from this point, and begin looking physically worse. I could not stand to see a loved one physically deteriorate in front of my eyes.

Back in the news since 3 months ago:

Despite being declared brain-dead three months ago, 13-year-old Jahi McMath of Oakland is tossing and turning in her hospital bed and signaling that she's aware of what's going on around her, a family member said Friday.

Jahi suffered what doctors say were terminal complications from a tonsillectomy at Children's Hospital Oakland on Dec. 9 and was certified dead three days later. But her family has refuted the certification and moved the teen's body to an undisclosed care facility, where she remains connected to a ventilator and feeding tube.

National attention

The family's battle with the hospital over her state of consciousness has garnered national attention - and the family has drawn criticism for their insistence that Jahi is alive.

In an interview with The Chronicle on Friday at the office of the family's attorney, Jahi's uncle Omari Sealy, 27, said that while his niece remains unconscious, she looks healthy and moves her head, legs and arms regularly. Showing such signs of life, he said, the family is not going to give up on her.

She even turns in the direction of visitors when they enter her hospital room, an indication that she understands her surroundings, Sealy said.

"She moves so much, she can turn on her side," he said. "They have to keep her bed rails up. They're afraid she could fall out of bed."

Medical experts insist that brain-dead people are not alive. They say movement by people on mechanical support is not uncommon; it's the product of muscle and spinal reflexes.

Experts also say patients can remain on support machines for weeks or even months, but their condition is bound to deteriorate.

Sealy, however, said none of what the family has been told by doctors has come true. Jahi's complexion color is good, her heart and lungs remain strong and she has shown increasing signs of awareness, he said.

'Knows where she is'

"She definitely knows where she is and that we're present," he said. "One of the misconceptions out there is that she's deteriorating or is going to deteriorate over time. But her skin looks better than mine."

He wore a button on his shirt with a picture of his smiling niece.

Jahi was released from Children's Hospital Oakland to the family on Jan. 5 after the family won a court order to keep her on a ventilator before taking possession of her body through the Alameda County coroner's office.

Family attorney Christopher Dolan argued that families, not doctors, should decide when a brain-dead patient is dead.

The hospital was prepared to remove the teen from support machines after doctors declared her death on Dec. 12. The certification was corroborated by an independent neurologist from Stanford University.

Jahi suffered cardiac arrest after the removal of her tonsils, uvula and adenoids to treat sleep apnea.

Children's Hospital Oakland is prohibited from discussing what went wrong with the surgery because of patient confidentiality laws. But a state Department of Public Health report released this week found that the hospital met government standards in its treatment of patients including Jahi.

The family and their attorney have been critical of the hospital's procedures and the recent report.

They've chosen not to reveal where Jahi is staying out of privacy and security concerns. They've revealed only that she's receiving good care from professionals.

'They treat her very well'

"They treat her like a live human being," Dolan said. "They treat her very well."

Dolan, too, said he has seen Jahi move and show signs that she could recover.

Sealy said he visits his niece as often as he can, declining to say just how often for fear of giving away her location.

Her mother, her sister and her sister's husband are with her every day, he said, and other family members and friends have visited.

"She's progressed since I first saw her" at the hospital, he added.

Asked what he hopes will come of his niece, Sealy said "that she wake up, that she open her eyes."

Family says brain-dead Jahi McMath showing signs of life

Recently in the news about the investigation on Children's Hospital:

State health investigators probing Children's Hospital Oakland over its handling of Jahi McMath concluded that the hospital complied with medical regulatory standards in her case, according to the long-awaited report obtained Wednesday through a public records request.

The report answers some questions but leaves many more unanswered about what happened to the 13-year-old Oakland girl -- who came to Children's Hospital Oakland on Dec. 9 for tonsil surgery and two other procedures to treat her sleep apnea and left brain-dead.

Investigators reviewed Jahi's patient file and 28 others chosen at random from the same time period. Their report includes no specifics from her case and does not identify any patients by name.

The state's survey found one area of "deficiency" in how the hospital handled the patients' medical records, which were not always entered into an electronic medical database before surgery. Due to medical confidentiality laws, it is unclear if Jahi's case was one of those mishandled cases.

"We are very pleased with the results of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services validation survey," said Dr. David Durand, Children's Hospital Oakland's chief medical officer. "We were found to be in compliance with CMS standards in every area. No deficiencies of quality of care were identified in the survey."

The report angered Christopher Dolan, Jahi's family attorney, who said the results illustrate why medical negligence lawsuits are necessary.

"The report is evidence of what the family has faced from day one, doctors covering for other doctors," Dolan said. "The family was not even interviewed, to my knowledge. How can a 13-year-old girl bleed to death in an ICU, and there is no evaluation or finding explaining that?"

A call to Jahi's family was not immediately returned.

State officials confirmed that the investigation was initiated after a complaint was lodged about how the East Bay facility cared for Jahi after she was admitted Dec. 9. Hours after surgery, while in the pediatric intensive care unit, Jahi began bleeding profusely before suffering a heart attack. Doctors soon declared her brain-dead.

Jahi's mother, Nailah Winkfield, criticized the reaction of nurses who told her the bleeding was "routine," according to court documents and a letter she released to media and an interview. She said the nurses left it to her and her mother to stem the flow of blood from Jahi's mouth and nose.

State investigators conducted the probe over Jan. 7-10, focusing on the hospital's governing body, patient rights, nursing services, surgical services and anesthesia services. They interviewed doctors, nurses and managers and reviewed records.

"CDPH determined that Children's Hospital and Research Center-Oakland was in compliance with the Medicare Conditions of Participation," state enforcement manager Rufus Arther wrote the hospital Feb. 18. General acute care hospitals must follow certain federal standards to receive Medicare and Medicaid funding.

The state found one area of deficiency under the hospital's "operating room policies." In eight of 29 patients reviewed, the state found the preoperative checklist was not completed; on some occasions not all the boxes on intake forms were checked off, and on others, the patients' histories and physicals were not included in an electronic medical file before surgery.

In one instance, detailed in the report, a 5-year-old boy admitted for eye surgery had no physical or history scanned into his electronic medical file. The assistant director of perioperative services told state investigators, "if there is no history and physical in the record there should be a 'Hard Stop' and the patient would not go into the operating room until it was completed and on the record." The child still had surgery.

Children's Hospital voluntarily reported a plan of correction for the deficiency on March 5.

The hospital acknowledged "inconsistencies" on checklists completed before surgery, and pointed to two issues: lack of education of staff and the November 2013 implementation of a new electronic medical record system, which required hospital employees to update medical records in a computer rather than paper documents. The hospital in its written response said all the proper documentation was there, just not all in electronic form.

Children's Hospital identified nine corrective measures taken since the survey results, including increased education on the electronic system and audits on the program.

The hospital has not commented on Jahi's care at the Oakland facility, citing patient confidentiality laws, only saying in court documents that she underwent a "complicated" series of procedures.

According to California surgery statistics, Children's Hospital Oakland had bleed rates following tonsil surgeries below the state average among more than 400 other hospitals.

The state statistics found one death following tonsil surgery at Children's Hospital Oakland, but bleeding is not the only possible complication. On Sept. 6, 2011, Rebecca Jimenez, of Rodeo, went to the facility for an outpatient tonsillectomy to treat her sleep apnea and suffered severe brain damage after brain swelling after surgery. The family of the 8-year-old sued and won a large settlement.

Children's Hospital Oakland has not received any penalties or citations related to tonsillectomies from the state in the past, according to the Department of Public Health.

As far as overall hospital care, according to state public health numbers, since 2004, Children's Hospital Oakland has received 44 complaints, 41 self-reported incidents, four state enforcement actions and 35 survey deficiencies. By comparison, Lucile Packard Children's Hospital in Palo Alto has received 43 complaints, 53 self-reported incidents, 10 state enforcement actions and 102 survey deficiencies during the same time period.

A claim is an alleged violation of federal or state law and reported by someone outside the hospital; a self-reported incident is reported by the hospital; a state-enforcement action is a penalty or citation issued; and a survey deficiency documents an action or nonaction that violates state or federal statutes.

Jahi McMath: State releases report on Children's Hospital Oakland's handling of patients

I have been thinking about the tonsil surgery. I thought tonsil surgery were not allowed to be operated as it was not a safe surgery. I don't remember when they omitted tonsil surgery anymore, like more than 10 years ago. So in spite of her other health issues, it would not be a good idea for her to go through this. So something is fishy going on at the hospital.

I don't know whether to believe that Jahi is alive with good conditions she is or was on the machine. With her wasting her body conditions, she would have been dead anyway no matter what. This is too confusing to know that she can keep alive in spite of brain dead. I do hope the hospital were honest about it. That does not make any sense. :(

I have been thinking about the tonsil surgery. I thought tonsil surgery were not allowed to be operated as it was not a safe surgery. I don't remember when they omitted tonsil surgery anymore, like more than 10 years ago. So in spite of her other health issues, it would not be a good idea for her to go through this. So something is fishy going on at the hospital.

I don't know whether to believe that Jahi is alive with good conditions she is or was on the machine. With her wasting her body conditions, she would have been dead anyway no matter what. This is too confusing to know that she can keep alive in spite of brain dead. I do hope the hospital were honest about it. That does not make any sense. :(

There are certain bodily functions that can continue to function even if the brain is dead. Hence, the reason why Jahi is still alive despite being connected to life support systems.

Tonsil surgery can be necessary in certain cases [such as sleep apnea that Jahi had], but proper procedures have to be followed. It has been suspected that the hospital didn't follow proper procedures in the case of Jahi.

The Oakland eighth-grader who was pronounced brain-dead after tonsil surgery in December — but whose family has kept her on life-support equipment — will receive an honorary diploma from her middle school on Friday, family members reported Wednesday afternoon.

Word that Jahi McMath will receive the honor came after her family petitioned E.C. Reems Academy of Technology and Arts in Oakland to recognize the teen at the school’s graduation ceremonies.

Jahi’s uncle, Omari Sealy, told NBC Bay Area news that the school was reluctant to honor his niece at graduation because some had complained about giving the teen too much attention.

Reems Academy could not be reached for comment Wednesday. The tech charter school, whose phones and email systems didn’t appear to be working, was denied renewal of its charter last month.

McMath’s family, which launched a campaign for Jahi’s diploma Tuesday on Facebook, made the case that the 13-year-old had finished most of her school work and deserved her diploma.

“Jahi should be graduating from the 8th grade this month but it may not be possible for her to make it to the ceremony, as she is fighting to recover,” the family wrote online. “Please take a minute of your time to call the school and let them know we want them to acknowledge Jahi McMath.”

On Wednesday, the family announced on Facebook that the school had agreed to award Jahi a diploma and that the family would be present at graduation ceremonies to accept it.

Jahi was certified dead three days after she suffered what doctors said were complications from a tonsillectomy at UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland on Dec. 9. She had received the surgery to treat sleep apnea.

Her family, however, has refuted the certification in hope that she will recover and moved the teen’s body to an undisclosed care facility, where family members say she remains connected to a ventilator and feeding tube.

School agrees to give Jahi McMath a diploma

I don't understand this whole situation. It does not make any sense. I wish they would send a picture of her (meaning the whole body including the bed) so that she is not wasting her body into a skeleton. They need to show prove to us what she look like. They better not use photoshop or photobomb to make the picture look like it is real.

I think the parent want her to get the diploma even if she has not take any lessons from the school. If she is in a coma or brain-dead, then that would be impossible for her to receive her diploma, if she missed her lessons from Middle School.

To me, it is really disturbing what the family members trying to claim that she is alive. I find it hard to swallow. **shaking my head** :(

They said she completed most of her 8th grade work, but that's impossible. She had the surgery in December, she couldn't have completed more than half of the work. It's just bullshit to make the mother happy, and the school was ok with it because I think they realize this girl is long dead even though the family can't do that.

I also think the reason we have not seen any photos of this kid is that she is deteriorating and not improving like they said she would.

Yeah it's obvious.... and is the family still paying the medical bills on their own? :hmm:

A while back there's a fund that was set up for the family to pay for the care. There may be at least two of them... one came from Terri Schiavo Foundation Fund and GoFundme.

Here's one: Jahi Mcmath Fund by latasha spears-winkfield - GoFundMe The money is still pouring in.

I would not give money to the family , the girl is brain dead and the plugs should had been pulled a long time ago.

Back