Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery

A dang lawsuit is absolutely deserved here

Wow...had my tonsils and adnoise taken out many moons ago with no complications....I smell a lawsuit here....anyway, very sad for this to happen.

I also stopped breathing during my surgery last year....
Rockin, I think you are the one who mentioned this during a back and forth between our friend Bleeding Purist and I had. Someone sort of knocked the surgery risks. You pleaded (I understood and agreed) not to knock the possibility of death during even a simple surgery. I think I mentioned the risk is always there and while it may not be worth fretting our life over it, to ignore it is ...

(It was you or Frisky but I think it was you?) Reality check is that cutbacks are happening and nurses are overworked. Even 17 years ago you needed someone coherent to represent us or we were pretty much in trouble with the hospitals. When my dad was at the near end of his dying in 2008, I physically went to the hospital with a list of issues and sat around a table with the various reps. to see how they would start stopping the issues we were having. I got him out of there to die at home.

Ugh ... hospitals like the rest of corporate America make cutbacks and mistakes

Oh wow, I feel bad for this girl, and her mother seems too stubborn.

Dead brain can't revived and this girl met criteria for dead brain. :(
My stepmother was in hospital dying in 1997. My little sis was in charge of making the decisions about her. The nurses pleaded with me (I flew out to help my sis) to put a DNR on my s.m. If they were forced to revive her, they were afraid her body would explode. My bro was at the end of the phone 600 miles away telling my little sis what to do. I called him and reamed him first (and did it again 7 months later when my mom was dying - at least I knew what to expect ...) and had a little talk with my little sis.

I'm not calling anyone stubborn until I've walked a thousand miles in their moccasins. I am from a different faith and culture. The hospital messes up and the family has to deal with the consequences in their own time at their own pace.

Pandora's box - physicians are not all knowing

"...Doctors had recommended the tonsillectomy to treat Jahi's sleep apnea, weight gain, inability to concentrate, short attention span and uncontrolled urination, her uncle Omari Sealey told CNN on Monday in a telephone interview.

"They said that she would have more energy, focus more, lose weight, and the urinating would stop," he said...."

I wonder if she should have had the surgery in the first place. That's a lot of symptoms to blame on tonsils. :hmm:
We'll never know, Reba. We know doctors make mistakes. Wrong prescriptions are given and not all information is tracked (by mistake).

For the CI alone, one nurse told me to take ibuphrophen over our drive home. Problem: The doctor said it wasn't written down anywhere AND I should never have been told to take it. I was a bit sick and dizzy as heck. Normal - surgery the day before and a 5.5 hour drive home the next morning. 2nd issue: I was dizzy at home. The doctor told my partner he'd prescribe the patch for my dizziness. The prescription was finally called in and it was steroids. They goofed again and I did not accept the medication and dealt with being dizzy. This also wasn't written down anywhere. It's crazy out there.

I discussed with my mother and she's nurse director. She vented it out when saw an incident about 13 years old girl at Oakland hospital. She said that we only heard one side is 13 years old's family but this hospital is forbidden by HIPAA to share about their side. She strongly believe that 13 years old girl's parent didn't gave enough medical information/history to doctor so doctor didn't know about girl's complication. She feel bad for 13 years old girl but take hospital's side over her parent because they didn't cooperate with doctor very well.

It is important for you to have strong relationship with doctor.

I don't think that hospital is greedy but they want to pull the unnecessary machine off and the declared as dead brain cannot reversible at all.

This one has brought a fierce debate about end of life. Some believes the heart stopping is the end of life by nature. Some don't believe brain dead is end of life. But seriously if a brain is dead, there is no way to reverse that. Once a brain is dead, it starts to decompose inside when there is no blood flow or oxygen. Since heart is beating, it is possible some of the blood is flowing to the brain with the help of the ventilator for oxygen.

It seems obvious that the family is holding the CHO (Children's Hospital Oakland) hostage over the girl. Since we only see one side of the story from the family, not the hospital... chances that the family is lying and slandering the hospital's reputation. That is not going to look good for both sides and there is no win-win situation here.

The family has claimed through their lawyer they found a facility in New York that will take the 'body' for long term care. The question is who is paying for all this since insurance is unlikely to cover a deceased person's care. They are just wasting money and resources to care for a deceased person that will not come back at all. The most appropriate thing is to let her rest in peace and not be disturbed by the media circus and the family.

This story is very tragic in the end and there is no win-win out of this situation.

Yeah, today they went to court to make a settlement so the hospital agreed to let them take the girls out and ensure that the mother understands that she takes full responsibility for the care of the brain dead daughter.

Under the agreement, Jahi's mother, Nailah Winkfield, is "wholly and exclusively responsible for Jahi McMath the moment custody is transferred in the hospital's pediatric intensive care unit and acknowledge(s) that she understands that the transfer and subsequent transport could impact the condition of the body, including causing cardiac arrest."

It appears that the family will have to care out of their pocket since I doubt the insurance will cover a deceased body.

In another link, a blog from a registered nurse not related to CHO.. this is very informative article:

Trials & Tribulations: Jahi's Legacy

Also the hospital wants to sever ties with the family which I don't blame them. The family has been very difficult to the hospital and there is big mistrust.

Jahi's tubes from the hospital's ventilator will be removed and placed into the transport team's equipment, along with other devices, and her body will be moved from the hospital's gurney to a new one, the agreement states. Her medical records, medications and a status report will be handed over and the hospital will sever its ties with her.

Jahi McMath: Mom can remove brain-dead daughter from hospital, judge rules

Few hours ago, the family quietly moved the girl out of the hospital to an undisclosed location. I wish them luck and peace, I don't see the girl will be around much longer due to health detoriating such as organs are failing.

New York facility says it wants to care for Jahi McMath - CNN.com

Oh wow, tough luck to this family and 13 years old girl have zero chance to revive because she's declared brain dead.

It is just like taking care of dead person. :ugh:

Also, I believe that 13 years old girl deserved go to heaven and the God love her.

Few hours ago, the family quietly moved the girl out of the hospital to an undisclosed location. I wish them luck and peace, I don't see the girl will be around much longer due to health detoriating such as organs are failing.
Lawyer: Brain dead girl moved from Calif. hospital

Yeah, I agree with the hospital spokesman who said that it's horrible that her family won't accept her death. Her mother said that the girl is getting better, how? The hospital said that she's not improving at all. Now her mother is responsible for her once she's out of the hospital under court order. If she's going to have her taken to another hospital in NY by an air ambulance, I wish them luck, too.

Well, they have at least two days before they can release her life support machine. If she was off from life support and manage to breath on her own but still brain dead. Then maybe they can take care of her while alive but I doubt it as her brain is wasting away into a terrible mess. It is better to let her go and rest in peace. That is very rare for someone not want to let a love one go. It is a tragedy and they are not accepting the death of their daughter. **sigh** I don't know what to say all this. :(

EDIT: One thing that bother me is that the spirit in the brain dead girl might be stuck with the life support machine. It look like her mother would not let her go into the spirit world and be free from entrapment. I saw a episode that the parents does not want to let their son go and kept him alive. But he wanted to be let go. I think it was in Ghost Whisper episode. He was so happy to be free and go into the spirit world. That make sense to me. Just have to have a wake up call. :(

Yeah, the mother basically screwed herself from the future lawsuit to the hospital by signing a document taking responsibility of her daughter's care. Also there is possibility of a cover up by the families as well.

Lawyer: Brain dead girl moved from Calif. hospital

Yeah, I agree with the hospital spokesman who said that it's horrible that her family won't accept her death. Her mother said that the girl is getting better, how? The hospital said that she's not improving at all. Now her mother is responsible for her once she's out of the hospital under court order. If she's going to have her taken to another hospital in NY by an air ambulance, I wish them luck, too.

There is another news from a spokeman saying that Jahi McMath is doing fine with surgery. She is getting treatment. She is at a different location possibly in another hospital, probably Catholic new hospital. :dunno: I don't know what to say when I read that. Still, it is not going to solve anything for their daughter. I don't understand why they don't wake up to their reality that they have to accept by letting her go in peace. She is not at peace if her parents keep on doing this. I am very sad for her. :(

Chances is the family and lawyers is being denials with the public as the girl has been without nutrition for nearly 4 weeks. The organs is probably no good to take anything anymore. The local coroner's office thinks the family took the girl out of state at a undisclosed facility. Public needs the evidence to prove if the girl is really improving or not, and they haven't showed one bit. A while back, the family claimed they have a video of the girl moved her arms but they never showed the public.

So I have a feeling that the family is hiding something from the public and try to use something against the hospital probably trying to have a payout. They had raised over $50k in fundme website for the girl's care. The family is really disturbing the deceased body and is already suffering inside... they need to let her rest in peace. There is zero chance to get the brain back alive as the brain is completely dead including the stem.

There is another news from a spokeman saying that Jahi McMath is doing fine with surgery. She is getting treatment. She is at a different location possibly in another hospital, probably Catholic new hospital. :dunno: I don't know what to say when I read that. Still, it is not going to solve anything for their daughter. I don't understand why they don't wake up to their reality that they have to accept by letting her go in peace. She is not at peace if her parents keep on doing this. I am very sad for her. :(

can you quote the part you think she isnt telling the truth? I admit that i read it quickly but wanted to know why you think she wasnt telling the truth. My bad!

See Calvin's post #36 and they said girl's arm is moving, but not show.

That why I said girl's mother isn't telling truth.

Back