Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery

Chances is the family and lawyers is being denials with the public as the girl has been without nutrition for nearly 4 weeks. The organs is probably no good to take anything anymore. The local coroner's office thinks the family took the girl out of state at a undisclosed facility. Public needs the evidence to prove if the girl is really improving or not, and they haven't showed one bit. A while back, the family claimed they have a video of the girl moved her arms but they never showed the public.

So I have a feeling that the family is hiding something from the public and try to use something against the hospital probably trying to have a payout. They had raised over $50k in fundme website for the girl's care. The family is really disturbing the deceased body and is already suffering inside... they need to let her rest in peace. There is zero chance to get the brain back alive as the brain is completely dead including the stem.

I agree, the parents should let their daughter go peacefully , she will never be the same if did she wake , she could end up needing to be life support the rest of her life and that is not living. The kindness thing to do is let their child go.

When I looked at her photos, she was (if on life support, she is) very pretty. I like her smile very much. It is sad that she had to put up with her parents for not letting her go. :(

This girl didn't just have a tonsillectomy. She had UPPP. That means she had her tonsils out, adenoids, her uvula (that dangly thing in your throat), some of her soft palate, and tissue from her throat. It's very serious dangerous surgery compared to a tonsillectomy.

I read that her family used a suction tube on her several times before calling a nurse to suction blood from her throat. Her mother, stepfather and grandmother, three different times. Apparently they figured they could do it faster, but it did delay them calling the nurse for care since they obviously had no idea what the hell was going on, and who knows if they were too aggressive with the suctioning and made it worse?

Before she left the hospital her body was starting to deteriorate. They were suctioning fluids and gunk from her lungs and it was smelling like it was rotting. She had passed the lining of her gut which happens when blood flow is compromised and it was a bad sign that her system was not working right. The family probably thought was plain old shit and a good sign, and who the hell knows what she's passing now that they are actually putting food in a system that isn't working. She has diabetes insipidus, which happens after brain death. Her brain started to liquify as soon as the blood flow to it stopped. If they did any imaging of her brain, it would either be just half full of liquid or a partial mushy brain full of holes and her spinal fluid would have brain cells in it or actual chunks of brain in it.

I wonder when the mother's delusion is going to break and she's going to realize her daughter is dead, dead, dead. They even have told the school that she goes to that she's not yet dead. Two of the girl's siblings go there, so I can understand why they didn't, but it's grossly unfair to everyone at the school to be told that if they cross their fingers hard enough she's going to sit up and ask for a hamburger.

This girl didn't just have a tonsillectomy. She had UPPP. That means she had her tonsils out, adenoids, her uvula (that dangly thing in your throat), some of her soft palate, and tissue from her throat. It's very serious dangerous surgery compared to a tonsillectomy.

I read that her family used a suction tube on her several times before calling a nurse to suction blood from her throat. Her mother, stepfather and grandmother, three different times. Apparently they figured they could do it faster, but it did delay them calling the nurse for care since they obviously had no idea what the hell was going on, and who knows if they were too aggressive with the suctioning and made it worse?

Before she left the hospital her body was starting to deteriorate. They were suctioning fluids and gunk from her lungs and it was smelling like it was rotting. She had passed the lining of her gut which happens when blood flow is compromised and it was a bad sign that her system was not working right. The family probably thought was plain old shit and a good sign, and who the hell knows what she's passing now that they are actually putting food in a system that isn't working. She has diabetes insipidus, which happens after brain death. Her brain started to liquify as soon as the blood flow to it stopped. If they did any imaging of her brain, it would either be just half full of liquid or a partial mushy brain full of holes and her spinal fluid would have brain cells in it or actual chunks of brain in it.

I wonder when the mother's delusion is going to break and she's going to realize her daughter is dead, dead, dead. They even have told the school that she goes to that she's not yet dead. Two of the girl's siblings go there, so I can understand why they didn't, but it's grossly unfair to everyone at the school to be told that if they cross their fingers hard enough she's going to sit up and ask for a hamburger.

Your description of her brain is so gross. The imagination of liquidify brain shudders me.

There are several terms like coma, persistent vegetative state, brain death, and minimally-conscious state. They all have different medical definitions. No one ever woke up from brain death. There has not been one documented case out there.

Have a funny feeling about her parents. Don't trust them.

Your description of her brain is so gross. The imagination of liquidify brain shudders me.

Even GROSSER...........her brains will start coming out her ears and nose.....I don't get it.....Jahi is BRAINDEAD.......

It's so sad they can't just let her go. What a terrible way to remain on this earth. Let the girl go in peace already! :(

If she did "wake up".....she'd be a Zombie.....

yeah....I should go to bed.

Eeny meeny miney moe
Catch a tiger by its toe

Put some ice on a brain dead girl's toe
Watch the sad confusion come and not go

Jahi McMath video claims to show brain-dead girl's feet and toes move | News.com.au

What I don't understand is how this family is still refusing to accept what brain dead means. I'm sure it's been explained many times over, and I'm equally sure that they are allowing themselves to not understand because they simply don't want her to be dead. What they should start doing is more brain imaging, to show how the brain is going from jello to melted jello in her skull.

If you look at Terri Schiavo's brain scan you can see the big holes in her brain where things had turned to brain soup. NeuroLogica Blog » Schiavo and the Persistent Vegetative State or just a bigger photo http://ccnmtl.columbia.edu/projects/neuroethics/module1/foundationtext/im09.jpg

What Jahi has right now (based on neurological activity, this isn't a physical scan of the brain) is the brain on the right and her family believes that she has the brain in the middle, which belongs to someone in a coma alone. http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/130409141844-brain-scan-afterlife-crop-story-top.jpg

The way to tell brain death: How to Determine Brain Death | Saving the Brain The family seems to be assuming that the reflexes they showed came from the brain, but not all reflexes that humans have are brain regulated.

Definitely, people automatically assume nerve twitches mean life. Sadly, that's not the case here. I know when people die, you twitch and move in a lot of instances. Creepy, but it's what happens. :(

One of the possibility is the family is trying to make money out of her but the hospital have a $250k malpractice cap. The family probably will run out of money caring and feeding the "body" that is not covered by insurance. :(

It's so sad they can't just let her go. What a terrible way to remain on this earth. Let the girl go in peace already! :(

There are numerous tests to determine brain death. It's been reported patients with brain death never open their eyes except they make small reflexes like feet or arms. I'm not sure some hospitals still do two tests like using a ice water syringe to fill into the ear canal to see if their eyes twitch. Another test is they use a q-tip to drag gently across the cornea, and the brain is suppose to tell a patient to close its eyes.

i remember the Karen Quinland thing...big court case parents wanted her taken off venterlator ,they did and she carried on breathing...not sure if that what parents wanted.Once done then it humans right to have water and nourishment...big debate if that medical intervention or not...myself think if breathing on their own then fliuds should be given...we just dont know if they aware....i saw this chap who been in vegative state for 20 years and he just woke up one day but his life was serverly altered he could read and write still but had no conception the world and people moved on had to keep asking every few mins

i remember the Karen Quinland thing...big court case parents wanted her taken off venterlator ,they did and she carried on breathing...not sure if that what parents wanted.Once done then it humans right to have water and nourishment...big debate if that medical intervention or not...myself think if breathing on their own then fluids should be given...we just dont know if they aware....i saw this chap who been in vegative state for 20 years and he just woke up one day but his life was serverly altered he could read and write still but had no conception the world and people moved on had to keep asking every few mins

I don't feel that breathing alone is a good criteria to continue giving a feeding tube (people who get food through a feeding tube get all their fluids that way too so there's no IV fluids to remove). That person you described was probably in what is called a minimally conscious state, not a persistant vegetative state (many who are minimally conscious are diagnosed as PVS). If my brain had liquified like Terri Schiavo's brain did, there's absolutely no coming back from that and I'd want the feeding tube gone. I wouldn't be happy living like that and I would also refuse to put my partner through that, emotionally and financially. I'd much prefer to have that plug pulled and have my friends and family process their grief and move on.

The family have a short video claiming her feet and toes move.

Jahi McMath video claims to show her feet and toes move

Not surprised.

However, Dr. Neal E. Slatkin, a neurologist and chief medical officer at San Jose's Hospice of the Valley, said spontaneous movements aren't rare in brain-dead patients and can be seen in 50 percent or more of such patients.

The movement, according to Slatkin, could be spinally mediated reflexes or due to irritable nerves or muscle membranes reacting to the application of cold.

The movements are not an indication that she is alive, he said.

It looks like girl's family undermine or playing game with medical professional.

Yeah, video could be fake.. they didn't show the face if it's really Jahi or not. The mother is delusional and needs professional help.

The father has been kept out of public for a long time only appeared a few times. I wonder if he thinks that the mother is crazy. :dunno: Her husband (not the father of the girl) stood by her.

Not surprised.

It looks like girl's family undermine or playing game with medical professional.

Or they could be lying... I'm skeptical.

I just hope they get a real help to heal themselves and move on... It must be not easy. :(

i remember the Karen Quinland thing...big court case parents wanted her taken off venterlator ,they did and she carried on breathing...not sure if that what parents wanted.Once done then it humans right to have water and nourishment...big debate if that medical intervention or not...myself think if breathing on their own then fliuds should be given...we just dont know if they aware....i saw this chap who been in vegative state for 20 years and he just woke up one day but his life was serverly altered he could read and write still but had no conception the world and people moved on had to keep asking every few mins

On the bold statement, I do remembered her many years ago that she was in a coma and the parents wanted to remove the life machine. They did that. Remarkable that she was breathing on her own but was curl up like a child. So as long as she was breathing, she had to be fed and taken care of. She never woke up for years until she died of some kind of infection, probably pneumonia.

This is different because Karen was in a coma while Jahi was brain dead. Two different things. Rest In Peace, Karen Quinland. :(

Back