Families of USS Cole victims outraged at Obama's decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. The whole point is that he was not receiving due process.

And the impression I get from the victims' families who reacted to the news is that they are rather vengeful just for the sake of it.

And the impression I get from the victims' families who reacted to the news is that they are rather vengeful just for the sake of it.

Agreed. They aren't looking so much for justice, as for retribution.

You people make me sick.

If these were Palestinian families wanting justice for their loved ones, or if they were anti-Bush families wanting war crimes trials, or Iraqi families wanting American soldiers tried, you'd be supporting them all the way to eternity.

But any families who want justice for their loved ones who say one peep critical of Obama are demeaned as revenge seekers who want to railroad the suspects to the nearest hanging tree.

These families have been waiting for several years to bring these killers to trial. They finally can see light at the end of the tunnel. The trials were underway. Then, out of the blue, Obama shuts them down.

"Justice delayed is justice denied." That applies to the victims and those charged.

The survivors of those who died, and the American sailors who were injured on the USS Cole deserve better.

I suppose if one of your loved ones was killed or maimed by an unrepentant repeat terrorist you would just say, "oh, well."

This has got me so upset I can barely type.

You people make me sick.

If we make you sick, why are you responding?

The survivors of those who died, and the American sailors who were injured on the USS Cole deserve better

I agree with you that the sailors deserve better. However you have to remember that when you sign up for military service--you run the risk of being killed in action.

Secondly we don't know the full story of why the chrages being dismissed. Could it be possibly that there is national security risk involved?

This has got me so upset I can barely type.

Take a deep breath and exhale.....

I didn't read the whole thread--but probably for lack of sufficient evidence. President Obama isn't the first president with this happening. Bush had a terrorist right here in the United States all along but didn't go after him either. National security secrets were the reason why this terrorist was not prosecuted any further and to the fullest extent of U.S. terrorism laws. He's extremely lucky.

I agree with you that the sailors deserve better. However you have to remember that when you sign up for military service--you run the risk of being killed in action.

Secondly we don't know the full story of why the charges being dismissed. Could it be possibly that there is national security risk involved?

I agree with you, they definitely deserve better. No death should go without justice being served. But I don't think we are getting the whole story here. I'm not even sure what to make of it because the details are too sketchy.

I can understand why the victims' families are upset, but they are making themselves appear rather vengeful. It's not a good image.

I agree, the victims families should deserve something better and to have a closure to this at least....

But... Apparently, There were some loose ends that was not reined? It's probably why it's been given the runaround. :dunno:

I agree with you, they definitely deserve better. No death should go without justice being served. But I don't think we are getting the whole story here. I'm not even sure what to make of it because the details are too sketchy.

I can understand why the victims' families are upset, but they are making themselves appear rather vengeful. It's not a good image.

Exactly because if we go after every killer of our soldier's--our justice system would be overwhelmed and would be cost prohibitive.

Afterall--I don't see us going after the Vietnamese for killing our soldiers.

Why the difference now?

Absolutely. The question is not whether justice should be served. The question is: punitive justice, distributive justice or retributive justice? They fulfill different agendas.

I don't usually get myself involved with political issues...but I have to say something.

If justice was served against the suicide bomber, how will the charges proceed? The bomber is dead.

There has to be a REAL good reason why the charges were dropped....it's all about law.

Secondly - the families of the victims for ANY type of bombing (OK Bombing, WTC bombings, USS Cole, etc etc), will probably never feel satisfied, even if the person behind the plans were brought to justice or have put to death.

My brother and father is in Afghanistan, and Iraq...if they got killed because of a stray bullet. You won't see me seeking vengeance against the person who shot the gun if he died as well. I would just honor their memory because they died for their country...maybe I should seek vengeance against America for making them go.

The attack on the USS Cole was by a terrorist group, not a nation with which we were at war. That's why it's different from Vietnam.

The sailors on the USS Cole weren't hit by "stray" bullets--they were specifically targeted. It was an organized terrorist plot.

I don't usually get myself involved with political issues...but I have to say something.

If justice was served against the suicide bomber, how will the charges proceed? The bomber is dead.

There has to be a REAL good reason why the charges were dropped....it's all about law.

Secondly - the families of the victims for ANY type of bombing (OK Bombing, WTC bombings, USS Cole, etc etc), will probably never feel satisfied, even if the person behind the plans were brought to justice or have put to death.
My brother and father is in Afghanistan, and Iraq...if they got killed because of a stray bullet. You won't see me seeking vengeance against the person who shot the gun if he died as well. I would just honor their memory because they died for their country...maybe I should seek vengeance against America for making them go.

Quite true, Lady, and the very reason that the retributive justice these people are demanding is never effective, nor never enough.

Each time terrorists attack without consequences it emboldens them, and they escalate their attacks. The attack on the USS Cole was committed to kill US sailors, and to test the waters before carrying out further attacks.

It's been 9 years since the USS Cole bombing occurred. I have to wonder - Isn't that sufficient to collect those evidences or probable cause to go on, given the time frame? :dunno:

Each time terrorists attack without consequences it emboldens them, and they escalate their attacks. The attack on the USS Cole was committed to kill US sailors, and to test the waters before carrying out further attacks.

Terrorists are not deterred by consequence. Hence the proliferation of suicide bombers. They are very willing to accept the consequence of death.

The sailors on the USS Cole weren't hit by "stray" bullets--they were specifically targeted. It was an organized terrorist plot.

Okay, should I say that if "my brother and dad has been specifically targeted", I will not seek justice against the person that shot them. He's dead. I just take in the satisfaction that the shooter cannot shot anyone anymore, and my dad and bro died for their country.

Sometimes it's the WAY the victims' families seek justice piss me off.

Oh boy...this is probably going to open up a can of worms. I'm sorry. :-(

It's been 9 years since the USS Cole bombing occurred. I have to wonder - Isn't that sufficient to collect those evidences or probable cause to go on, given the time frame? :dunno:

More than enough time. And the very reason that due process becomes an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back