Families of USS Cole victims outraged at Obama's decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gathering evidence and testimony takes time, especially since it has to be gathered from several foreign locations, including war zones and countries hostile to the United States. There's a lack of cooperation, to put it mildly.

The case against al Nashiri is not based on his confession only. If you read the transcript, you will see that there were other sources of information in addition to his statement. Also, we're seeing only the unclassified portion. We don't know what's in the classified portion.

As you see from al Nashiri's history, he had to be kept in custody until his trial. He's not the kind of guy you can issue a ticket and expect to show up on his court date. Also, he had already been convicted of terrorism by Yemen.

Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri

Remember that Obama halted the military tribunals. Nothing about dismissing it.

The judge dismissed it.

If anyone should be angry--should be angry at the judge.

Are the accused in question dead?

Those men aren't dead...."Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the mastermind behind the September 11th attacks; Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, accused of planning and executing the bombing on the USS Cole, which killed 17 American sailors; and Omar Khadr, accused of killing an American soldier, two Afghani soldiers, and wounding several others in a firefight in Afghanistan."

Those men aren't dead...."Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the mastermind behind the September 11th attacks; Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, accused of planning and executing the bombing on the USS Cole, which killed 17 American sailors; and Omar Khadr, accused of killing an American soldier, two Afghani soldiers, and wounding several others in a firefight in Afghanistan."

Why would Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and Omar Khadr be tried for the bombings of USS Cole when they weren't tied to it?

Will they deport the "suspects" back to their home country?

The judge had to obey Obama's executive order.

Obama had the ultimate authority and responsibility for stopping the trials.

The key words here are "accused of".

Talked with my hubby about this issue..he said that the charges are on hold until they do more probing...

Shel was talking about the suicide bomber on USS Cole - he's dead, yet he's being accused of the crime.

Actually....the bombing of the USS Cole was on Clinton's watch.

Yes it was happened in 2000 under Clinton Admin., but he was arrested by Pakistani authorities and gave him to American authorities as a suspect terrorist on USS Cole attack under Bush Admin.

It's been 9 years since the USS Cole bombing occurred. I have to wonder - Isn't that sufficient to collect those evidences or probable cause to go on, given the time frame? :dunno:

That's exact what I'm thinking the same...

He was being accused of a suspect terrorist on USS Cole bombing in 2000 at 5 or 6 years ago...

I understand now why the judge refused to delay case against USS Cole suspect.

Guess we are going to have to agree to disagree here. I apply the same standards of the American justice system to Americans as I do to non-Americans being prosecuted under the American justice system. Due process is a right guaranteed to all under our justice system. To refuse to apply it to non-Americans is what is hypocritical.

And your second paragraph contains the word "always" which completely invalidates it.

Yes, that's right.

I like Dalai Lama's quote::thumb::)

I believe in justice and truth, without which there would be no basis for human hope.

Quotes about Justice

Quote from George W. Bush :eek2::eek::thumbd:

"I don't give a goddamn. I'm the President
and the Commander-in-Chief. Do it my way. ...Stop throwing the Constitution
in my face. It's just a goddamned piece of paper!"

George W. Bush Quotes/Quotations

Talked with my hubby about this issue..he said that the charges are on hold until they do more probing...

Why do they need to probe some more? They had 9 years of probing, what exactly were they probing in those 9 years?

Why do they need to probe some more? They had 9 years of probing, what exactly were they probing in those 9 years?

Something about what to do with them and where to hold them..I can ask him for further clarification.

Yes, that's right.

I like Dalai Lama's quote::thumb::)

I believe in justice and truth, without which there would be no basis for human hope.

Quotes about Justice

Quote from George W. Bush :eek2::eek::thumbd:

"I don't give a goddamn. I'm the President
and the Commander-in-Chief. Do it my way. ...Stop throwing the Constitution
in my face. It's just a goddamned piece of paper!"

George W. Bush Quotes/Quotations

I heard that quote before...no wonder he's definetly one of the worst Presidents ever lived.

Their pain can never be healed fully in this life. But does that mean we should allow the knife of injustice to be thrust and twisted again and again in their hearts?

If bringing terrorists to justice never satisfies victims and families, then why do we even bother to have courts and prisons? Why not just ignore all killing and "move on?" Because justice is about more than satisfying families. Even if none of the victims had relatives, we can't allow terrorists to get away with their crimes.

Exactly. The crimes need to be stopped. Find prove of their guilt and then jail them to prevent them from repeating their crimes. I know that it won't bring the dead back or statisfied their families for justice but the crimes needed to be stopped.

Exactly. The crimes need to be stopped. Find prove of their guilt and then jail them to prevent them from repeating their crimes. I know that it won't bring the dead back or statisfied their families for justice but the crimes needed to be stopped.

you're forgetting that the rule and game are COMPLETELY different when it comes to terrorist. This is not "some criminals" who murdered a person or robbed a bank. Trials and Jails mean nothing to them. I don't call this "crime" to terrorists. Terrorists considered this as war and this is how they fight the war. Apparently - some people don't agree with how we combat with terrorists. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back