EVIDENCE of being deaf with Hearing Aid device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cloggy said:
Yes, been there. Did you notice the problems with wearing CI: "I want have hearing aids to work in both of ears but I wear hat everyday, it's annoying when pushes CI when wear hat and went messed it up"
I was referring to the surgical problems with removing it.

Cloggy said:
Mr Moore is not the best place to get a unbiassed view on CI. He has the messageboard deafnotes which doesn't like any realistic information about CI.
But have a look on AllDeaf.com. There's lots of information there... if one cares to read.
We're certainly not getting an unbiased view from you.

A positive thing: They help SOME deaf people communicate orally without lipreading.

gnulinuxman said:
We're certainly not getting an unbiased view from you.
Well, having a daughter who has CI and it helps her a lot, I guess you will not get an unbiased view. Because I look at someone where it works.
You do get expert advise from me, you only need to ask.

So, when Sweetmind generates misinformation, I am an expert in how it affects little children.

Neecy is an expert when it's about grownups. For her it works so in that sense, she's not unbiased.

But Sweetmind has never used a CI, and has (appearently) never seen a child where it worked. So, SHE IS NO EXPERT ON CI:

She's an expert on sign. NOT on CI. In fact, she shows with all her misconceptions and unfounded accusations that she knows nothing about CI's

neecy said:
You want me to come up with negatives? There are a plethora of them

- some cochlea's are too occified and transmission of impulses to the auditory nerve is not possible

- some people have a hard time adapting to the sound (mostly those born deaf whom have had no experience hearing sound and are implanted as late teens or adults)

- occasionally an implant itself will fail, but reimplantation can usually (not always) fix that

- it requires dedication and a willingness to take the time to practice listening, and teaching oneself to understand language (if never exposed to it before) some people don't have the dedication or patience to do this.

so yes there are negatives...do you need more? There are also a plethora of positives.

If pointing out mistakes that sweetmind makes is "bragging" then yes I brag.

How am I acting worse than she ever did? I don't go hurling insults at every turn like she does, calling everybody she doesn't agree with an Audist. I'd love to see her educated and actually understand that CI's aren't the end of the deaf world. There are even highly prominent members of the Deaf community who have been implanted and are happy, fully active and involved in deaf culture, and whom have no regrets with their decsions - so her assertion that CI's mean you deny your own deafness and alienate yourself from deaf culture is untrue.
I thought you said you gave up...

But anyway, my point is Are cochlear implants as necessary as many hearing parents think they are?

gnulinuxman said:

But anyway, my point is Are cochlear implants as necessary as many hearing parents think they are?
:topic:

However.... That would be an excellent question to start a topic with...

gnulinuxman said:

you asked for my input and I directly answered. Would you have preferred I didn't? If anybody asks me something directly I will answer but I'm through with trying to wade through Sweetmind's propaganda and crusade of mistruths.

AS to your last question- it depends on whom you ask. CI's are ONLY for children who get no benefit from hearing aids. If a deaf child CAN get a significant benefit from a HA then that is the best way for them to go, and that is what parents should strive for. If there is no discernable benefit from HA's, then definitely I think parents should look at whatever other options are available to them (including CI's.) I wouldn't look upon CI's as a necessity, but they are a TOOL that can make a child's life easier in terms of being able to communicate better. I think its necessary that parents explore the options as to the different tools available to their children, and then with the help of doctors, audiologists, interviews with people who have children with HA's, CI's and those with none at all, make the most informed choice they can as to what they believe will work best in their situation.

gnulinuxman said:
I just gave you two links with the info your requested on them, and all you're doing is bragging about your CI even more. I've been against Sweetmind's harsh posting, but now you're acting worse than she ever did. :pissed:
5.gif

:dunno: I don't understand why you a hearing person are posting so furiously against CIs and hearing aids. What's it to you if we decide to make use of our choice to use such things? It's our personal right to make use of technology that can assist us in access to the hearing world. And then here's you arguing very hard against this choice that some of us wish to exercise and yet you can at the end of the day swan off into the sunset back into the hearing world at any time you like while we are still here, facing our reality of not being able to hear.

I'm sorry but I just find it very odd.

I recall reading that gnulinuxman know Sweetmind personally and I think he helps her at times.

Cloggy said:
Music is a very important thing. Have a look around you.
Music makes people laugh, cry. Makes statements, creates athmosphere.

MUSIC IS BIG! Music is about communication.

It's not the most important thing... but it gets close!

That's :bsflag:. I asked my hearing kids this morning about the music being big thing to them and they said no. The music is not big and it is not about communication. They said that you don't have to listen to that music. They also said that the music is not a very important thing. They strongly disagree with you, Cloggy. I asked my kids if that's because my husband and I are deaf? They said no, not at all. I asked them what IF they lost their hearings, would they be upset for not be able to hear the music? They said no, not at all. I asked some of my older hearing siblings the same questions and they said no, the music is not a very important thing, not a big one.

It means the real problem is yourself for not be able to accept it fully. I feel bad for you.

Cloggy said:
Music is a very important thing. Have a look around you.
Music makes people laugh, cry. Makes statements, creates athmosphere.

MUSIC IS BIG! Music is about communication.

It's not the most important thing... but it gets close!

Sorry, I don't agree with that statement about music being very important thing, You know I have two children both are hearing, One of them love music with passion while the other one doesn't care for music. ;)

:) MTV would disagree with you. :)

But if two members here say the contrary... then I must be wrong!!

I'm not talking about personal preferences,
I'm talking about atmosphere
I'm talking about film where music is a major part of the experience
I'm talking about radio which plays music to listners.

I'm talking in general.

Why is it OK if you use personal experiences regarding statements I make but if I give a personal experience (regarding my daughter) I should pipe down because "it doesn't count for all children".

OK. On a personal note. My wife is a personal fluteplayer and plays the piano. Music is certainly big for her. I enjoy classical music, rock, soft-rock, Katie Melua, Norah Johnes, and many more, music is big for me.
My 2 hearing children love listning to music of all kinds, one of them plays the violin; music is big to them.
My deaf child that can hear loves to listen to children-rhymes and enjoys the melody. She enjoys it. I have a feeling that she will enjoy music as well.

Cloggy said:

I'm talking in general.

Most teens watch MTV, Who's the little ones that do? like MTV would know?

I get your point, You speaking generally, well true, when you go to a wedding, pretty much everyone gets up, go on a dance floor and shake those booties. Some are horrible dancers, but they don't even care if they're dancing like monkeys. :)

I recall reading that gnulinuxman know Sweetmind personally and I think he helps her at times.

You love to push me down and think I cannot do it alone to stand up and debate to challenge people s discussion.. Very funny!

He knows me a little it which means that he doesnt know me personally yet if you mind. He is more openminded than you are as DENIAL as I can see.. I am not the only one people who see the whole truth about audist attitude people 's denials and bittered as well.

Why is it OK if you use personal experiences regarding statements I make but if I give a personal experience (regarding my daughter) I should pipe down because "it doesn't count for all children".

So am I but you wont accept the truth that I have shared and educated ppl to be more openminded and learn to accept the fact what we went through every day of our lives. All you is bashing me all along that shows in here as well. Yea I m all wrong wrong wrong and you are righ tright to know everything about deafness itself since you are hearing .. SCOFFS! I know what I m talking about deafness myself and also am A Deaf mother / grandmother with many knowledge of what happens to d/Deaf children in Deaf community. .It s so sad to see this happens.

OK. On a personal note. My wife is a personal fluteplayer and plays the piano. Music is certainly big for her. I enjoy classical music, rock, soft-rock, Katie Melua, Norah Johnes, and many more, music is big for me.

GOOD FOR YOU since you both are full hearing 100 percent . What is your point?? I have seen many parents told the hearing and deaf kids TURN THE VOLUME DOWN and couldnt stand it aloud of music.. **rolling my eyes** Also it s against law to turn up higher volume in their car. Thank goodness I couldnt stand the sound into my right ear that damaged already while I have my left stoned deaf ear that doesnt bother me at all after no one touched it.

I have seen my mom and my sisters tells me it s too loud music that my kids are doing it all the time in my own home. And they want to turn it down which is none of their business to come in my own home and tell my children what to do because they dont like aloud of music.. I dont give a shyte what you are saying. I respect my hearing children all the way and let them be in my own home. Why cant you just respect d/Deaf people love to feel the music with the vibration through the body and with the hands to sing and song.

My 2 hearing children love listning to music of all kinds, one of them plays the violin; music is big to them.

My deaf child that can hear loves to listen to children-rhymes and enjoys the melody. She enjoys it. I have a feeling that she will enjoy music as well.

ALL CHILDREN LOVES IT but it s different from d/Deaf children since they are visual and see the fun thing with hand ryhmes. So what s your point? You make it sound that d/Deaf chlidren are not dealing with the music after all they do not hear with HA or CI devices to understand the music itself without signing or read the music version . Scoffs!

I would love to have Rockdrummer ( great attitude) to come over my place and play his own drums that I can enjoy the feelings of music. ;)

I didnt care if I didnt hear the music because it doesnt bother me and require myself to deal with the music as you said so.

Thank you! ;)
Sweetmind

Last edited:
Momoftwo said:
I asked my hearing kids this morning about the music being big thing to them and they said no. The music is not big and it is not about communication. They said that you don't have to listen to that music. They also said that the music is not a very important thing. They strongly disagree with you, Cloggy. I asked my kids if that's because my husband and I are deaf? They said no, not at all. I asked them what IF they lost their hearings, would they be upset for not be able to hear the music? They said no, not at all. I asked some of my older hearing siblings the same questions and they said no, the music is not a very important thing, not a big one.

It means the real problem is yourself for not be able to accept it fully. I feel bad for you.

You're right, in a sense. For some people, music isn't a big deal. But for a LOT of people, it is. I have friends, d/Deaf and hearing, who couldn't live without music. Personally, music is a huge part of my life. Is that to say that my world would end if I suddenly became deaf and couldn't listen to music in the same way I had? No, of course not. If I became deaf, I'd be fine. But that's not to say I wouldn't miss it.

Just pointing out that, for a lot of people, can make their lives better.

neecy said:
THIS is exactly the kind of apathy that we're trying to fight against. Whenever you, or sweetmind, are faced with the true facts, all you say is "whatever".

No education can come of such a negative attitude.
You took what I said out of context.

Cloggy said:
Well, we haven't met in person, but we do a lot of talking over AIM.

Sweetmind said:
OH YEA you have been negative about HA devices all the time as far as I find this is full of it.. Thats very untruthful about HA that you think most deaf chlidren couldnt hear well. NICE EXCUSES I have seen that you are trying to encourage the parents to get CI for all d/Deaf children that is not right.

CI is not the whole answer that you want them to believe that is the answer.. SCoffs!

Of course I am very against CI that hurts d/Deaf children s true identity from the start. So be it! I aint kissing your arses because you are forcing me to like or agree about CI... Scoffs!

Grow up!

If hearing aids don't benefit some deaf children , then what do you expect them to wear if you hate CI with passion :dunno:

Cloggy said:
No kidding. You're citing someone who makes money off music.

Cloggy said:
But if two members here say the contrary... then I must be wrong!!
Not necessarily, but in this case, yes.

Cloggy said:
All things anyone can live without.

Cloggy said:
I'm talking in general.
Yeah, so am I: In general, people can live without this stuff.

Cloggy said:
Because you are coming off as a person who's trying to be a hero.

Cloggy said:
Good for you. Does that mean it's necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back