EVIDENCE of being deaf with Hearing Aid device

Status
Not open for further replies.
^Angel^ said:
If hearing aids don't benefit some deaf children , then what do you expect them to wear if you hate CI with passion :dunno:

well... what she wants is that if HA don't benefit some deaf children then that's it and just sign.

Boult said:
well... what she wants is that if HA don't benefit some deaf children then that's it and just sign.

In my case, hearing aids don't benefit for me at all, I don't want to get a CI for a lot of reasons, surgery isn't my thing which involves to the head behind the ears *Yikes*, don't want to experience headaches all the time while wearing it, other minor issues, If it doesn't work for me, What am I got'ta do? I'll be out of luck. That's something I don't want to look forward to. :whistle:

Cheri said:
In my case, hearing aids don't benefit for me at all, I don't want to get a CI for a lot of reasons, surgery isn't my thing which involves to the head behind the ears *Yikes*, don't want to experience headaches all the time while wearing it, other minor issues, If it doesn't work for me, What am I got'ta do? I'll be out of luck. That's something I don't want to look forward to. :whistle:
I thought you already made up your mind that you won't get one at all so don't get one ;) just wait for regeneration to succeed or try nanotechnology when they finally make it available in a decade or few...

regarding headaches... for me, none coming from CI, I have had headache due to various factors that cause headache in any person without CI. this last statement is not in a way to persuade you, just informing you. :)

Boult said:
I thought you already made up your mind that you won't get one at all so don't get one ;) just wait for regeneration to succeed or try nanotechnology when they finally make it available in a decade or few...

I've made up my mind the day My grandma showed me pictures of CI, that she asked me if I was interested, I was like *yikes* that's going on my head? ;) Don't you think I'm too old to get one now? Couple years later in the future I'll be walking with a cane. :whistle:

Boult said:

regarding headaches... for me, none coming from CI, I have had headache due to various factors that cause headache in any person without CI. this last statement is not in a way to persuade you, just informing you. :)
Or stay deaf?

Cheri said:
I've made up my mind the day My grandma showed me pictures of CI, that she asked me if I was interested, I was like *yikes* that's going on my head? ;) Don't you think I'm too old to get one now? Couple years later in the future I'll be walking with a cane. :whistle:
I had mine back in 2003 and I am 41 now. :dunno:

I know I updated my last post before I saw your post. sorry...

gnulinuxman said:
Or stay deaf?
that won't make sense, I am already deaf to begin with. CI delivers me sound while I am deaf. eh

Cheri said:
If deafness is working for you, then great! I myself have a friend with a cochlear implant, but I still use ASL with her because she understands me better that way. (I met her on a day her CI was broken, so she was totally deaf. I signed to her because she can't lipread, but she was glad we both knew ASL!)

Boult said:
that won't make sense, I am already deaf to begin with. CI delivers me sound while I am deaf. eh

You read my mind, That's what I was thinking when I read his post. :whistle:

gnulinuxman,

You meant "death"? That's what some hearies think that's what the word for "deaf" means :whistle:

Boult said:
OK, I aplogize for being confusing. I meant an option was to remain unimplanted.

Cheri said:
gnulinuxman,

You meant "death"? That's what some hearies think that's what the word for "deaf" means :whistle:
Why on Earth would I mean "death"? :confused: About half of my best friends are deaf, and I don't care whether they have a cochlear implant or not. I just don't like the trend of implanting babies. That's all I'm getting at.

On a side note, if I lost my hearing, I would not get an implant or a hearing aid.

Boult said:

That's sad cause they could never again hear a sound but only silence..Perhaps she needs to focus on what every deaf child want and what CI can benefit many of them when they couldn't get enough benefit out of hearing aids and she also have to be aware that not all deaf people use the same method to communicate, They might use American sign language, english sign, finger spelling, spoken english, lip-reading or etc...

At the bottom this is one of my fave quote, I thought I would share this with you all :mrgreen:

Keep an open mind.

" A critical thing to remember is that one must also be flexible! Needs change, circumstances change, your child changes! What was a good choice yesterday may not be a good one tomorrow for many reasons! "

— Peter's Mom

Cheri said:

It's cute when we both are twins but we think differently and like so many different things, as you don't want a CI but I do, I think maybe more people can tell us apart? you think so?

:giggle:

Cheri said:

Interesting you say that about headaches. I was just speaking with my Audi yesterday to pickup my second processor which finally came in (in NC you get two). I asked her about that issue as I kept seeing this mentioned in this forum and other places. She mentioned that the CI wouldn't be the reason "per se" but it is most likely be due to one not being used to hearing "sounds". So, in other words the brain is trying to make use of the information but it is simply doesn't know what to do with it and thus the "headache". This is strictly informational...

FYI - As Boult has already stated for himself, I don't headaches either other than the occasional one that most people (without a CI) get from time to time.

Boult said:
I had mine back in 2003 and I am 41 now. :dunno:

Chiming in...I had mine last year and I'm 48 now. I heard of people into their 70's and even 80's getting them. I'm not so sure I be that determined if I were that old...

I agree. She doesn't want another child to go through what she did. Personally, I think it's sweet.

Sadly, this clouds her judgemnt so no I am not convinced it is at all sweet. She may be depriving some child who needs CI because of her influenced judgment.

You can look at hearing two ways- as deaf person- you can look at it at as curse or as a gift. Either way you are deaf, but with the GIFT of SOME hearing you can hear what you wouldn't otherwise. It can actually ENRICH you as a deaf person.

Take Sweetmind, for example. I can imagine how she was growing up probably isolated from deaf culture, in family who didn't make any effort to make communication easier for her. She fel less worthy because of that, frustrated, hurt, angry because she couldn't communicate freely and when she discovered deaf culture it emphasized all this lack of effort on part of her family toward her deafness.
But at the same she was forced to communicate orally and that is in fact a gift - she learned to hear with HAs and lipread, and speak very well.
But -looks like- she does not realise she received a gift, in fact.
For her it's more like a curse. It really isn't. It was the way they treated her that was wrong.
Being able to hear, speak is not wrong- is an ability, learned ability and practical. It does not have to separate one from deaf culture and one's identity as Deaf.

Music is something that you can not speak of unless you have experienced it. I was granted this wonderful possibility to hear music.
Music like many other arts is something that inspires your SPIRIT. You can live without it but then you miss something vital.
Very few pple are unaffected by music. (or other forms of art).
You don't always realise how much art affects you, take TV for example. Any show is show of art form it is called acting (and clothes, and light and background- it all matters),
these shows can make you laugh or cry or be angry or irritated or whatever. Do you think consciously what it does to you? I don't think so - you just absorb it, feel it, You don't analyze it. But the fact is it does do something to you.

No kidding. You're citing someone who makes money off music.

But think about it- if it was as unaffecting, unimportant as you say would people all over the world spend so much money on music?
make these musicians so rich, so celebrated? MTV would not exist without this need for music. Every song is written with some idea some calling behind it. Theye are messages in songs and music. This IS communication.
Even Momoftwo's children surely listen to some KIND of music which makes it a SELECTION, which shows that in some way music does matter to them. They do not listen to just ANY music, do they?

I like music. Music was important to me when I was growing up, still is and the only thing that prevent me from enjoying it is migraine, not deafness.

Fuzzy

Cloggy I think you meant your wife is professional not personal flute player..

^Angel^ said:
That's sad cause they could never again hear a sound but only silence..Perhaps she needs to focus on what every deaf child want and what CI can benefit many of them when they couldn't get enough benefit out of hearing aids and she also have to be aware that not all deaf people use the same method to communicate, They might use American sign language, english sign, finger spelling, spoken english, lip-reading or etc...

At the bottom this is one of my fave quote, I thought I would share this with you all :mrgreen:
Yes indeed...

I have said this before somewhere that every individual is unique.

good quote :)

Audiofuzzy said:
Sadly, this clouds her judgemnt so no I am not convinced it is at all sweet. She may be depriving some child who needs CI because of her influenced judgment.
I have an objection to your use of the word "need". Nobody NEEDS a cochlear implant to live a good life. You don't need one to live independently, communicate, drive, etc. Here's a whole list: http://www.cochlearwar.com/deaf_can_do.html

Audiofuzzy said:
You can look at hearing two ways- as deaf person- you can look at it at as curse or as a gift. Either way you are deaf, but with the GIFT of SOME hearing you can hear what you wouldn't otherwise. It can actually ENRICH you as a deaf person.
Yes, my point is, do you NEED it?? Most of my deaf friends would say NO. They're living just fine without cochlear implants.

Audiofuzzy said:
Take Sweetmind, for example. I can imagine how she was growing up probably isolated from deaf culture, in family who didn't make any effort to make communication easier for her. She fel less worthy because of that, frustrated, hurt, angry because she couldn't communicate freely and when she discovered deaf culture it emphasized all this lack of effort on part of her family toward her deafness.
True, but she says her parents were uninformed. and didn't know better.

Audiofuzzy said:
But at the same she was forced to communicate orally and that is in fact a gift - she learned to hear with HAs and lipread, and speak very well.
But -looks like- she does not realise she received a gift, in fact.
For her it's more like a curse. It really isn't. It was the way they treated her that was wrong.
I disagree. The point here is not ability to speak orally vs. manually. The point here is that forcing oralism on deaf children has been known to cause some serious problems in language development. Deaf people do not need to be taught to speak first--why not treat it like a foreign language, for example?

Audiofuzzy said:
Being able to hear, speak is not wrong- is an ability, learned ability and practical. It does not have to separate one from deaf culture and one's identity as Deaf.
Yeah, even though I'm hearing I'm part of both worlds. However, the common belief here seems to be that you need to hear to be part of both worlds, but deaflinuxgeek and sweetmind are unimplanted deaf people and still part of both worlds.

Audiofuzzy said:
Music is something that you can not speak of unless you have experienced it. I was granted this wonderful possibility to hear music.
Music like many other arts is something that inspires your SPIRIT. You can live without it but then you miss something vital.
Very few pple are unaffected by music. (or other forms of art).
You missed my point.

Audiofuzzy said:
You don't always realise how much art affects you, take TV for example. Any show is show of art form it is called acting (and clothes, and light and background- it all matters), these shows can make you laugh or cry or be angry or irritated or whatever. Do you think consciously what it does to you? I don't think so - you just absorb it, feel it, You don't analyze it. But the fact is it does do something to you.
Um, sort of. My avatar is a girl from a TV show, and I put her there because I identify very much with her. But I wouldn't say TV is necessary to function in society.

Audiofuzzy said:
But think about it- if it was as unaffecting, unimportant as you say would people all over the world spend so much money on music? make these musicians so rich, so celebrated? MTV would not exist without this need for music. Every song is written with some idea some calling behind it. Theye are messages in songs and music. This IS communication.
Even Momoftwo's children surely listen to some KIND of music which makes it a SELECTION, which shows that in some way music does matter to them. They do not listen to just ANY music, do they?
I never said that. I said it isn't necessary for functioning in society. Those are two different things.

Audiofuzzy said:
I like music. Music was important to me when I was growing up, still is and the only thing that prevent me from enjoying it is migraine, not deafness.

Fuzzy

Cloggy I think you meant your wife is professional not personal flute player..
I enjoy music, but so does my fiancee too, even though she only feels vibrations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back