Easter Basket Ideas

I grew up hungry, too, but I don't celebrate other people's holidays! :P It's your business. Your kid. :)

Who says they have to be someone else's holiday? I'm an atheist, but I still celebrate Christmas and Easter and Halloween and the like. Most of the Christian holidays have been given a corresponding secular meaning (so that marketers can sell stuff without alienating the non-believer customer base).

So Christmas has nothing to do with Jesus for me - it's a time to get together with your family and show people you love that you do. Easter is a celebration of nature coming back to life during the Spring (okay, no, really it's a celebration of OMG REESE'S EGGS BEST CANDY EVER).

I tend to celebrate on the same holidays for simplicity's sake - everyone else is already off and celebrating something for it, so I don't particularly feel any need to try and create a new holiday. (It's not like religious holidays were always "new" and "unique" - I'm less familiar with Judaism, but a large number of the Christian ones were based on pagan holidays that preceded them)

In Finland kids put their hats under the bed, when they got to sleep and when the night has come and childre were asleep we just fill their hats with chocolate eggs. Years after years parents lie to their children that Easter rooster have laid those eggs in a hat. Then we have a tradition that children wear as little witches and go to every house where they say. "A whip for you and a paid for me". Then everybody give chocolade eggs to children. Children have made whips from willows that are decorated in every colour feathers.
Allright that what I told was little different that was asked in the beginning of that thread. I just want to tell what kind of easter we have here in Finland.
:roll:

Who says they have to be someone else's holiday? I'm an atheist, but I still celebrate Christmas and Easter and Halloween and the like. Most of the Christian holidays have been given a corresponding secular meaning (so that marketers can sell stuff without alienating the non-believer customer base).

So Christmas has nothing to do with Jesus for me - it's a time to get together with your family and show people you love that you do. Easter is a celebration of nature coming back to life during the Spring (okay, no, really it's a celebration of OMG REESE'S EGGS BEST CANDY EVER).

I tend to celebrate on the same holidays for simplicity's sake - everyone else is already off and celebrating something for it, so I don't particularly feel any need to try and create a new holiday. (It's not like religious holidays were always "new" and "unique" - I'm less familiar with Judaism, but a large number of the Christian ones were based on pagan holidays that preceded them)
Wow! Look at all those quote marks and parentheses! I thought that was the sign of a troll! :P Just "quoting" you for humor, and last time ever as I really only play grammar games with TWA.

Wow! Look at all those quote marks and parentheses! I thought that was the sign of a troll! :P Just "quoting" you for humor, and last time ever as I really only play grammar games with TWA.

Haha, touché. I am wounded! :giggle:

As I read here of all the sayings about giving to kids, I am ever grateful no mention of live chicks nor bunnies are suggested. While these are cute creatures when little, no child is ready for the responsibility of caring for one. I have long held that this idea was the reason for today's adults having problems solved by the parents. Think about it, when kids see the parents taking over their "responsibility of caring" they get set into an idea that anytime they are "finish" enjoying the moment, Mom and Dad get to clean up. It carries over into that child's adulthood. Unless today's parents are ready to MAKE the child take responsibility of thiese tiny creatures, don't give one.

I grew up hungry, too, but I don't celebrate other people's holidays! :P It's your business. Your kid. :)

Then why are you even commenting on this thread if you're Jewish and insist Easter is a holiday for other people? lol *not trying to sound mean, I just don't understand* :confused:

I love some of the ideas I've read here. Shel's sounds fun with the makeup, money, perfume, books, etc.

Here's another idea. Oriental Trading (I think orientaltrading.com) has CHEAP stuff in bulk. I think in the dozen, so not huge bulk. You can get personalized pencils, all sorts of "toys" for all ages.

Then why are you even commenting on this thread if you're Jewish and insist Easter is a holiday for other people? lol *not trying to sound mean, I just don't understand* :confused:

Because this thread didn't say "No Jews Allowed" on it. :)

Don't you "hunt" for unleavened bread just before or on the Passover? I think I read about it but not sure.

No...we clear out all the chometz and "sell" it (temporarily) or lock it up. It's also code for Spring Cleaning. :(

there is hunting for the afikomen during a seder...who ever finds it (the wrapped matzah) gets a prize.

I do not think you lived in a house with a dirt floor and ate dead animals found in a cave! I guess you would think it odd that my Jewish father brought a new school bus for Father Flanagan of Boys Town! My dad got a letter from Father Flanagan thanking him for bus!

I know of a few Jews who celebrate Christmas as well. It doesn't matter if you want to stick with your religion or not. It's more of a social thing now. I don't celebrate Christmas for Jesus Christ's birth, but I celebrate the gifting part.

Do what you want with your children, whether you want to stick with your faith or not.

Uh oh... *RELIGIOUS THREAD ALERT* *DEPLOY MITIGATION ACTION*

How about a "Business" one for the 9 year old? You can put a piggy bank (with money in it!), notebooks, "business-like" pens, sunglasses, and a fake cell phone!

As for the younger one.... what about a "Super Star" one with feather boa, flashy sunglasses, a microphone, flashy jewelry?

Uh oh... *RELIGIOUS THREAD ALERT* *DEPLOY MITIGATION ACTION*

How about a "Business" one for the 9 year old? You can put a piggy bank (with money in it!), notebooks, "business-like" pens, sunglasses, and a fake cell phone!

As for the younger one.... what about a "Super Star" one with feather boa, flashy sunglasses, a microphone, flashy jewelry?

Don't forget the briefcase and pocket protector for the 9 year old!

"Spring Cleaning!" Like a mini broom/dustpan, duster, and sponges!

Same here..I am not a Christian but I do celebrate these holidays.

I know of a few Jews who celebrate Christmas as well. It doesn't matter if you want to stick with your religion or not. It's more of a social thing now. I don't celebrate Christmas for Jesus Christ's birth, but I celebrate the gifting part.

Do what you want with your children, whether you want to stick with your faith or not.

My family did that too, we did not celebrate Christmas for Jesus Christ's birth,
we celebrate the gifting part and the same with Easter we had eggs hunts .
We celebrated Passover and Chanukah too!

No...we clear out all the chometz and "sell" it (temporarily) or lock it up. It's also code for Spring Cleaning. :(

there is hunting for the afikomen during a seder...who ever finds it (the wrapped matzah) gets a prize.

We did that too , and my dad was really good at hiding the matzah! The one that found it got money, dad would start off with saying he would give you a$1.00 ,then he would say $5.00 to the person that found it , and all 4 of us would go nut trying to find it! I found the matzah in a box of tissues and my brother and sisters said it did not count as dad broke the matzah in half! I got the $5.00!

Back