Dude...

I've no problem with the e-donation button. Nor do I have a problem with the humor they used. I'm certainly not humor-impaired. I say let people decide if they want to donate if they think it's a worthy cause.

BTW, I think Rain will get a nice amount of money to help with his college tuition with thanks to Dad's 170 day humor streak.

I've no problem with the e-donation button. Nor do I have a problem with the humor they used. I'm certainly not humor-impaired. I say let people decide if they want to donate if they think it's a worthy cause.

BTW, I think Rain will get a nice amount of money to help with his college tuition with thanks to Dad's 170 day humor streak.

College is so outrageous right now he may need it. I just did the expenses for my daughter this year. $90,000....for one year. :shock:

The kid also said in retrospect in a video interview on YouTube in that blog site, "I just find it funny now."

That tells alot about the whole so called "abuse" issue as nothing but hot air.

Even though he admitted it was embarrassing on some days but he certainly got the hang of it two months later. If anything, this whole waving thing made him even more popular on the bus (and in school). I bet there were a lot of kids who were envious of his father wishing their father would be just as humorous, loose and loving.

There is a reason that people who are humiliated resort to self deprecating humor.:cool2:

Yeah, I've been there and when I think about this it's hard not to twitch in rage even though it's been years after the event.

Exactly.

It really is shame that the attitudes I am seeing only result in job security for me and others in the field.

Regardless of what gets posted any further in this thread:

I am bowing out. To think that the word "therapy" is even mentioned for donations on their blog is ludricious (sp? spell check won't pick up this one!)

Every person, every child, has endured their own form of childhood, whether it be totally "normal" (depends on how you want to define that), or one subject to humiliation, or one subject to abuse, whatnot. Why we're even discussing this any further is beyond me. If you are not the child in this actual article, you cannot begin to understand what he's thinking/feeling, even it turns out to be "nothing."

St. Sapphire - I do understand you're on your way home. I'm not writing this so I don't have to respond to your post. I'm so disturbed by the casualness of this thread that I'm just choosing not to participate anymore. To each his/her own thinking.

And I as well. Just a perfect example of why attitudes such as the one demonstrated in the OP are becoming more prevalent within society.

And to think, people have the nerve to wonder what is wrong with the younger generations. This truly is a sad commentary on the state of our society.

Given the state of society as demonstrated in some of the comments in this thread, I have no doubt that he will get some donations. You see that as a good thing. I don't.

If this young man needs assistance going to college, his father would have done well to begin his college fund much earlier than at the age of 16. And the young man would benefit more from a father that encourages his academic achievements in order to win scholarships than out at the curb acting like an adolescent. Apply for a Pell Grant, for God's sake. Don't humiliate your child in order to make up for the fact that you failed to plan for their college education.

Given the state of society as demonstrated in some of the comments in this thread, I have no doubt that he will get some donations. You see that as a good thing. I don't.

If this young man needs assistance going to college, his father would have done well to begin his college fund much earlier than at the age of 16. And the young man would benefit more from a father that encourages his academic achievements in order to win scholarships than out at the curb acting like an adolescent. Apply for a Pell Grant, for God's sake. Don't humiliate your child in order to make up for the fact that you failed to plan for their college education.

Shhhh !! No more fuel to the very silly fire. Otherwise this goes on for 10 more pages with pointless posts, remember :lol:

So you have a slight idea, then. And you can't empathize with this kid at all. (You learned early on to ignore it and let the bullies move on. Any/No chance that happened to this kid?) Oh well.

(Meaning: you don't know about this kid, do you?)

Regardless of what gets posted any further in this thread:

I am bowing out. To think that the word "therapy" is even mentioned for donations on their blog is ludricious (sp? spell check won't pick up this one!)

Every person, every child, has endured their own form of childhood, whether it be totally "normal" (depends on how you want to define that), or one subject to humiliation, or one subject to abuse, whatnot. Why we're even discussing this any further is beyond me. If you are not the child in this actual article, you cannot begin to understand what he's thinking/feeling, even it turns out to be "nothing."

St. Sapphire - I do understand you're on your way home. I'm not writing this so I don't have to respond to your post. I'm so disturbed by the casualness of this thread that I'm just choosing not to participate anymore. To each his/her own thinking.

I've been in the situation of being teased, picked on, embarrassed (damnit, I hate that word, I always forget the second r), etc, yes. So yes, I do understand what it's like, and have been there, though I'm sure my own situation was likely far less intense than what you or others may have been through. (My schools had their cliques, and those who were "supposed" to be in a specific clique tended to get bullied far more than those who simply didn't fall into any of them.) My response worked out well enough for me, but was likely not the best, since it simply allowed the bullies to move on to their next victims, rather than being stopped, but what kid ever really thinks about stuff like that?

I can empathize with this kid, certainly. The thing is, I can easily picture many different possible scenarios that he may be going through that would lead to a news article that reads like this one does. It is possible that that this is just a selfish parent who enjoys embarrassing his child. It is also possible that this is a parent who gets along with his child enough that they both feel comfortable being silly and joking around together. I could very easily see the implications made by the author of the article simply being an unconscious reaction to the "wtf this family is weird, there's something wrong with them" attitude that I'd bet the author had, rather than coming from an actual reaction from the kid.

That all having been said, you're absolutely right. I don't know this kid. I don't know his family. I don't know if this is a real problem for him, or if this is useless hand-wringing over a complete non-issue. The thing is, nobody else does either. Not you, not me, not koko, and not jillio. What I'm seeing instead is a mental health professional, making rather accusatory judgement statements about a family's mental health, from extremely limited information, with high certainty. And while I don't generally hold with the concept of holding certain people more accountable than others (like saying "teachers should never swear even when they're not working" or "psychologists shouldn't call people fucking idiots when they're being fucking idiots on their time off"), one exception of this is when someone is speaking toward their professional capacity. If a psychologist makes comments about the psychological profile of the subject of a topic, and isn't merely joking around, but is seriously stating that she thinks there is a real issue, then I'll certainly take serious issue when she speaks with far more certainty than anyone could possibly have in that situation, because I consider that a dangerous situation and that behaviour as rather irresponsible.

As the case may be, almost everyone else (such as yourself) stating that you see this as a possibly negative or abusive situation, has spoken on more generic terms and with far less absolute certainty. I personally don't tend to assume abuse on the part of parents when I see a situation that is unusual or questionable, but I'm also aware that I've generally lived a fairly comfortable life to a supportive and "safe" family, so that may not be the same assumption as anyone else who did not grow up in such situations.

That latter fact (ie that I grew up in a generally "safe", supportive or whatnot family) combined with the fact that my family tends to joke about everything and anything also can easily explain why I don't find the joke about a "therapy donation fund" distasteful or anything of the sort. (And before you ask, yep, I've been in therapy twice before, once around 7th-8th grade for basically being a loner who had no friends, and once last year in regards to my ADD.) In my family, at least, it's merely been viewed as another type of doctor that you go to when needed. Thinking negatively of someone for going to therapy would be just as silly as thinking negatively of someone for going to an oncologist.

Anyhow, this was really long, so I'm done for now.

This mental health professional is basing her opinion on years and years of research into the negative effects of humiliating verbal abuse directed at children by parents. In other words, informed opinion based on the information provided.

And I'm done.

Perhaps this isn't as esteem damaging as it might appear to be. My parents used to embarrass me by walking within 50 feet of me in public. Problem was, how else would they buy clothes that fit me?

Perhaps this isn't as esteem damaging as it might appear to be. My parents used to embarrass me by walking within 50 feet of me in public. Problem was, how else would they buy clothes that fit me?

How trite, thank you.

He wore a wedding dress???
Good thing he didn't just wear a g-string.

there's an interview here: CTV Ottawa- 'Embarrassing dad' waves son off to school in costume - CTV News

I have to say everyone has made valid points. A guy waving to his son on the bus is not generally considered abusive although I'm sure it was very embarrassing for his son.
I know someone who always wore a long sleeved turtleneck in high school and her shorts were never higher than her knees. One summer she and I became good friends. It was so hot that day and she was still wearing a long sleeved turtleneck. I asked her why and she showed me. Today, she works as a family therapist.

So, when I compare the home life she had to this guy being embarrassed by his father waving to him wearing a costume, it just seems that to say what he did was abuse, emotional abuse, deliberate intentional humiliation of his son, I don't know, a bit excessive. As Sapphire said, we don't live in their home so all we're really doing at this point is speculating and nothing more.

On the other hand, I'm kinda impressed by the dedication of this father. He did this every day without fail. Yeah, he was embarrassing but dedicated. And he made sure never to wear the same outfit twice which must have been fun for the kids on the bus.

there's an interview here: CTV Ottawa- 'Embarrassing dad' waves son off to school in costume - CTV News

I have to say everyone has made valid points. A guy waving to his son on the bus is not generally considered abusive although I'm sure it was very embarrassing for his son.
I know someone who always wore a long sleeved turtleneck in high school and her shorts were never higher than her knees. One summer she and I became good friends. It was so hot that day and she was still wearing a long sleeved turtleneck. I asked her why and she showed me. Today, she works as a family therapist.

So, when I compare the home life she had to this guy being embarrassed by his father waving to him wearing a costume, it just seems that to say what he did was abuse, emotional abuse, deliberate intentional humiliation of his son, I don't know, a bit excessive. As Sapphire said, we don't live in their home so all we're really doing at this point is speculating and nothing more.

On the other hand, I'm kinda impressed by the dedication of this father. He did this every day without fail. Yeah, he was embarrassing but dedicated. And he made sure never to wear the same outfit twice which must have been fun for the kids on the bus.

True, all we can do is speculate and read between the lines. I am sure that his son asked him to stop embarrassing him, and the fact that his father continued it shows how little he listens to him. It may seem funny on the surface, but every clown is really crying. His father has issues, apparently, and used his son as a way of dealing with them. Sad.

I don't believe I ever alluded to it being intentional. In fact, I clarified with the statement that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. There are many many well meaning individuals who inadvertently create negative consequences for others simply because they never attempt to take the perspective of the other.

Back