DSL providers at right price?

AquaMaiden

Reaction score
Anyone know good and worthy DSL providers at a reasonable price? Hopefully the one you would suggest is here in Rochester, (Gates) NY

(sigh)

Get cable internet, DSL services are too painful to deal with. In fact, they can mess up your computers if done inproperly.

Every single DSL subscriber I know in person regrets getting the DSL service from their local DSL providers.

Cable internet is far more less complicated and more user-friendly. At least, that's what I have experienced from the local services.

I don't know about Rochester, but I wouldn't want to deal with the current DSL providers around here.

I agree with Banjo. Cable is much easier but if you really want DSL, then froniternet is it.

I'm a DSL user in MN, i use it all the time, and its not that hard to use... its almost the same as roadrunner to me.. maybe its cause i know what im doing..

We are working on trying to find a good deal. Plus DSL is much more stable than RR, and constant too.

but thanks for helping us out tho :)

I like cable better than DSL. DSL, you have to worry about putting all the filters on the phone. Then, I know with Verizon, you have to dial in with PPPoE software like Winpoet. Then, I feel most DSL is slower than cable. With cable, I didn't have to worry about passwords or anything. Just plug in and go.

I am a DSL user, but I regret going to DSL from cable-modem. I've had countless disconnection with the phone line.

I think I've heard that DSL does not work well in an apartment complex. I would go for RR (RoadRunner) if it is available in my area since I've heard so much positive about the services.

There's Roadrunner. So far, they've been good. I like them better than Comcast, which is common in the midwest.

wow dial up for DSL, thats not aviable in MN, all i just do is turn on my computer and im on line, no hassle at all.. well i guess it depends on the ISP, i dont go for large companies like verizon, or blah, i use local companies, they're more reliable to me.

DSL provides for example you get a 1mbps service, it stays at 1mbps and never drops. while cable, it goes up and down all the time, some days you get 300kbps, then next hour you get 3mbps, and few mins later is 2mbps etc..

but yeah im getting rochester Road runner, they got a deal for 29.99 for 6 months.

With cable-modem, you can hook up your other computer(s) using the same one with a router at no charge while with DSL, you'd probably have to pay extra to hook to the other computer(s).

Cable internet is BETTER.

Cable TV: $15 a month
Phone : $35 a month
DSL : $45 a month

Cable plus internet plus VP-100 : $65 a month

Cable is cheaper and more reliable.

Brian said:
With cable-modem, you can hook up your other computer(s) using the same one with a router at no charge while with DSL, you'd probably have to pay extra to hook to the other computer(s).
you can use a router with DSL. I know Linksys has PPPoE settings in its router.

Deaf258 said:
Cable internet is BETTER.

Cable TV: $15 a month
Phone : $35 a month
DSL : $45 a month

Cable plus internet plus VP-100 : $65 a month

Cable is cheaper and more reliable.

That's true. Only $10 off on cable (monthly) if I order Cable Modem from Comcast.

Actually if you order standard cable and have cable modem, it will cost in the $80 range. But I have basic cable (which I don't mind since I dont watch much of TV anyway), so it is about $60 a month.

kuifje75 said:
Actually if you order standard cable and have cable modem, it will cost in the $80 range. But I have basic cable (which I don't mind since I dont watch much of TV anyway), so it is about $60 a month.

Pretty close to the cost I pay monthly. Make sense.

AOL DSL is full of :bsflag: Costs really rip off on $$ for low kpbs.

VamPyroX said:
There's Roadrunner. So far, they've been good. I like them better than Comcast, which is common in the midwest.
It's common here in east.. I have Comcast here in Philly.

I love Comcast.. I've had no problems with it since and its a lot better than the lousy dial-up ;)

funnybebe78 said:
I have SBC yahoo DSL but i never used it that much ;)

it's not good idea to have DSL if you don't use that much. You migh well get dial-up that way you could check few time on e-mail or anything else.

Back