Driver turns tables on deputy

jillio

Reaction score
Updated: Wednesday, 27 May 2009, 9:07 AM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 26 May 2009, 6:37 PM EDT

Jason Marks
ACCOMACK COUNTY, Va. - A YouTube video of an Accomack County Sheriff's deputy allegedly speeding has become the talk of the Eastern Shore. The driver who videotaped the deputy later confronted him.

"I'm coming for you," the driver says on tape. "You can't run baby."

What could be considered a dangerous way to prove a point has become an internet favorite.

"I was in shock that someone was stupid enough to actually do that," said Accomack resident Elizabeth Walraven.

The video, shot earlier this month, has had more than 20,000 hits. The driver films himself chasing down the deputy he believed was speeding.

"I just got you on video blowing by me at 90 miles per hour," the driver said to the deputy. At one point the driver's speedometer hit 90 heading down Highway 13. "He was holding his cell being a commentator," said Accomack County resident BJ Bundick. "That is ridiculous. It was irresponsible on his side."

Accomack County Sheriff Larry Giddens says Deputy Jason Campbell was simply caught on tape making a mistake. He tells WAVY.com the young officer wasn't responding to a call and shouldn't have been speeding. The sheriff says Campbell has been disciplined. He wouldn't tell us Deputy Campbell's punishment.

"You're scared aren't you," the driver yelled at the deputy during the chase. The identity of the 20-year-old cameraman remains a mystery. The 8-minute video shows him honking and getting the deputy to pull over. He then confronts the officer and the deputy lets the driver go.

Driver turns tables on Accomack Deputy

Gee, I wonder if I was caught going 90 if the police would accept the excuse, "Hey, I just made a mistake.":lol:

He is probably lucky he didn't get shot.

Not too bright chasing a guy with a gun who might have cause to fear for his life as you would almost have to be crazy to do that.

Holy smokes!

This whole thing is hilarious! The camera man may have not been the brightest. But he did get the officer good!!

Ya gotta just know - that could not have been Texas. Those Texas cops, rangers, Sheriffs and other road rangers are MEAN. Bet that was one funny vid.

Gee, I wonder if I was caught going 90 if the police would accept the excuse, "Hey, I just made a mistake.":lol:

Who knows...I've heard that a bunch of times.

I wonder what the discipline was. Contrary to what some believe, officers DO get in trouble when mistakes are made. Oftentimes an officers punshipment is greater than that of a civilian. The officer could have lost days of vacation time, lost days without pay. Or even worse. Heck, losing a weeks vacation time (which is a common punishment) equates to $1000 or more depending on the officers pay.

I know of one officer who screwed up that was pretty minor but it cost him his promotion. That cost him about 10k a year in pay. Please do let me know when you know of someone who got a $10,000 speeding ticket.

An officer who willingly and knowingly uses their badge as an excuse not to obey the same laws they are sworn to uhold should receive a stiffer punishment than the average citizen. How can the public have any faith and confidence in an officer of the law that blatantly demonstrates that he believes he is above the very laws that he holds the rest of society to? To behave in this manner is to violate not just the law, but the trust of the public he is sworn to serve. An officer who is not capable of applying the same standards to himself as he applies to everyone else doesn't deserve a promotion. What prevented his promotion was not the act he was found guilty of, but the attitude that he was somehow exempt from the very same laws the rest of society are bound by.

Has anyone ever seen an officer turn on the siren and flashing lights to get thru a traffic jam and then turn them off after getting through?

has anyone ever seen an officer turn on the siren and flashing lights to get thru a traffic jam and then turn them off after getting through?

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An officer who willingly and knowingly uses their badge as an excuse not to obey the same laws they are sworn to uhold should receive a stiffer punishment than the average citizen. How can the public have any faith and confidence in an officer of the law that blatantly demonstrates that he believes he is above the very laws that he holds the rest of society to? To behave in this manner is to violate not just the law, but the trust of the public he is sworn to serve. An officer who is not capable of applying the same standards to himself as he applies to everyone else doesn't deserve a promotion. What prevented his promotion was not the act he was found guilty of, but the attitude that he was somehow exempt from the very same laws the rest of society are bound by.

I agree with you...my point was people seem to think all cops get off scott free and they dont...and their punishment is often worse than what one would expect. I was not defending the officer in my post...and thats why I was curious what his punishment was.

Has anyone ever seen an officer turn on the siren and flashing lights to get thru a traffic jam and then turn them off after getting through?

How do you know that his specific purpose was to just get through the light. I have deactivated my equipment before when there is no traffic and turned it back on when approaching traffic...and turn it off again after I pass.

Some of examples of when this can happen. An in progress crime where the suspect is still on scene committing the crime...and if you want to stand a chance of catching the bad guy, you turn off your emergency equipment where its not needed. Sirens can sometimes be heard for miles, especially at night.

Another example is for a domestic dispute that is 'heated' but isn't physical. It doesn't warrant an officer breaking the sound barrier but you want to get there quickly before it does escalate into something more.

Officer pulls a traffic stop. He is a single officer and there are four or five people in the car..his backup wants to get their quickly.

Business owner is about to close her store...she is there alone. As she is about to look out, she sees a suspicious car in the parking lot and believes she is about to get robbed. Again, officers want to get their quickly but it doesn't always warrant a lights/sirens response.

Driving with lights and sirens is extremely dangerous and officers often limit their response because of this. I only point all of this out because what you see happening does not mean someone knows what is happening or what his reasons are. If you believe an officer to turn on his lights only to beat a traffic light, get his car number and contact the agency.

Yep. I've seen that happen a lot of times.

How do you know that his specific purpose was to just get through the light. I have deactivated my equipment before when there is no traffic and turned it back on when approaching traffic...and turn it off again after I pass.

Some of examples of when this can happen. An in progress crime where the suspect is still on scene committing the crime...and if you want to stand a chance of catching the bad guy, you turn off your emergency equipment where its not needed. Sirens can sometimes be heard for miles, especially at night.

Another example is for a domestic dispute that is 'heated' but isn't physical. It doesn't warrant an officer breaking the sound barrier but you want to get there quickly before it does escalate into something more.

Officer pulls a traffic stop. He is a single officer and there are four or five people in the car..his backup wants to get their quickly.

Business owner is about to close her store...she is there alone. As she is about to look out, she sees a suspicious car in the parking lot and believes she is about to get robbed. Again, officers want to get their quickly but it doesn't always warrant a lights/sirens response.

Driving with lights and sirens is extremely dangerous and officers often limit their response because of this. I only point all of this out because what you see happening does not mean someone knows what is happening or what his reasons are. If you believe an officer to turn on his lights only to beat a traffic light, get his car number and contact the agency.
That's right.

As long as they're not driving like madmen without their lights or sirens, I'm fine with that.

I've seen some officers drive 5 mph over the speed limit (like everyone else), but use their lights to get through heavy traffic... to get where they're trying to go.

It is not a big deal to me but I do wonder and if anyone else has seen it before.

the officer is the law

Oh yeah many times and I've seen where an officer turn on his siren just to get through a red light. I've also see officers flying down the highway, weaving in and out of lanes sometimes without their sirens and It happens pretty frequently, from what it seems they're disobeying the traffic laws, and I don't think that's fair.

Oh plenty of times, I've seen police car turn on sirens to pass through the red lights then turn off as he got through. I wonder if that is legal as a "cheating traffic" as the cop isn't on emergency call or responding to the incidents.

Oh plenty of times, I've seen police car turn on sirens to pass through the red lights then turn off as he got through. I wonder if that is legal as a "cheating traffic" as the cop isn't on emergency call or responding to the incidents.

ever see one who just turns it on to startle you and no you know he isnt testing his equipment (which is legal) but I think only on the pd grounds and not the highway. and he or she will turn it on just to startle you because it makes them laugh

Back