Dog Dies After Being Set On Fire

RedheadGrrl

Premium Member
Reaction score
NEW YORK -- A pit bull who was found on fire while tied to a tree on Long Island died on Tuesday.

A Long Island animal protection group announced Monday that it was offering $1,000 for information that would lead to the conviction of someone who set a pit bull on fire after tying it to a tree.

The SuffolkCountySPCA said the dog, a male, suffered burns on over 60 percent of his body. His injuries included severe burns on his face and ears, the loss of teeth and puncture wounds on his neck, the group said.

The dog, named "Maximus" by emergency veterinarians, was tied to a tree in Brentwood, N.Y. when the attack took place. Veterinarians who treated Maximus said they smelled gasoline in his fur.

"Even after what he's been through, Maximus still tries to wag his tail when he sees people enter his isolation area," said Suffolk County SPCA Chief Roy Gross on Monday before the dog succumbed to his injuries.

I was watching the news tonight. They just went up from 1.000 to 5.000 for the information abt who did this dog. Poor dog!! I am glad he's gone. He was so suffer.

The poor dog :(.If they ever find they person responisble, they need to prosecute him as strongly as possible.

Oh, how sad!! :( I think whoever was responsible for this horrible act of cruelty should suffer the same fate. :(

OMG how sad
GRR... i hope those bastards who did to this dog go to jail forever

Words fail me: :eek: :tears: :pissed:

I think if they find the person they will just have to get them done for murder.

Rockdrummer, I'm not convinced and this story still infuritates me. :pissed: I think the way a dog behaves has more to do with the way its treated by the owner than the breed itself. When the owner doesn't care enough about their dog to control its behavior, you can't simply blame the consequences on the breed itself. A friend of mine had a pit bull who was one of the sweetest dogs you could ever hope to meet. She loved everyone -- especially children -- and was as gentle as could be. Sorry, but the news stories you've posted don't convince me for one second that pit bulls (or *any* animals for that matter) are deserving of such horrific treatment. Even if the person(s) responsible for this act had a child, family member or friend who was severely injured or killed by this dog, it does *not* condone this kind of retaliation -- period.

Pitbulls may be dangerous dogs but even so that was a breathtaking example of brutality.

Dont' get me wrong. I am not condoning the torturing of any animal. Setting a dog on fire is wrong. And I understand what you are saying about how the animal is brought up and treated. I also know that an animal is an animal regardless of how it is trained or brought up. I can probably give you just as many stories of pitbulls attacking children that were brought up and trained well. Rotweillers and pitbulls are dangerous animals and should not be house pets no matter how well they are treated or trained. That's my opinion and I will hold to it. It's based on my knowledge of these particular breeds attacking people and in most cases children of which many die as a result. I don't find many stories of poodles or german shepards mauling children. It's mainly rotweillers and pitbulls. I'ts the breed. They are inherently mean animals and that will come to the surface under the right circumstances.

Dont' get me wrong. I am not condoning the torturing of any animal. Setting a dog on fire is wrong. And I understand what you are saying about how the animal is brought up and treated. I also know that an animal is an animal regardless of how it is trained or brought up. I can probably give you just as many stories of pitbulls attacking children that were brought up and trained well. Rotweillers and pitbulls are dangerous animals and should not be house pets no matter how well they are treated or trained. That's my opinion and I will hold to it. It's based on my knowledge of these particular breeds attacking people and in most cases children of which many die as a result. I don't find many stories of poodles or german shepards mauling children. It's mainly rotweillers and pitbulls. I'ts the breed. They are inherently mean animals and that will come to the surface under the right circumstances.

As for the last sentence of your post, I think that partly has to do with the way "rotties" and pit bulls are bred. If they are bred in a particular way, certain negative traits will be emphasized over positive traits and vice-versa. Unfortunately, I can't comment any further than that since I'm not a dog breeder. :)

I think would-be "rottie" or pit bull owners should be expected to sign a statement from a breeder indicating that they fully understand and accept the implications of owning either breed and will take full responsibility should serious injury or worse occur. Perhaps this would help cut down on the number of pet owners who let their dogs behave aggressively and/or run loose without supervision.

I agree. I think part of the problem is that it's difficult to control the dog when you aren't around. Also those dogs have been known to bust out of their leashes. The problem with children is that they are un-predicitable and may tug on the dogs ear or tail and that may anger the dog. There are way to many variables and for that reason I would never have either of those animals around children. That's just my opinion. I am no animal expert or breeder either.

I agree with you especially where children are concerned. I have a guide dog and am *very* reluctant to have children pet her for the reasons you mentioned -- not to mention the fact that it only takes ONE person (such as a child's parent) to completely misconstrue the situation and the next thing you know, you have a lawsuit on your hands even if there was no wrongdoing involved. Thanks, but no thanks. :(

Rockdrummer, I'm not convinced and this story still infuritates me. :pissed: I think the way a dog behaves has more to do with the way its treated by the owner than the breed itself. When the owner doesn't care enough about their dog to control its behavior, you can't simply blame the consequences on the breed itself. A friend of mine had a pit bull who was one of the sweetest dogs you could ever hope to meet. She loved everyone -- especially children -- and was as gentle as could be. Sorry, but the news stories you've posted don't convince me for one second that pit bulls (or *any* animals for that matter) are deserving of such horrific treatment. Even if the person(s) responsible for this act had a child, family member or friend who was severely injured or killed by this dog, it does *not* condone this kind of retaliation -- period.

:applause::gpost: I agree with you totally hear again. I once had a crush on someone who had a staffie which is a similar dog. That dog's treatment was really inconsistant although the owners behavior was probably a good deal more vicious then the dog at times. I once complained because the dog chewed up some of my belongings. I got shouted at "What do you expect it's only a dog". So if you are going to punish anyone punish the owner because in most cases they are the ones responsible, although admittedly you would get into VERY serious trouble if you set the owner on fire. However vicious he or she was. Should be the same with the dog.

I find it really upsetting that anyone should think setting a dog on fire is a good thing. :pissed:

I agree with you especially where children are concerned. I have a guide dog and am *very* reluctant to have children pet her for the reasons you mentioned -- not to mention the fact that it only takes ONE person (such as a child's parent) to completely misconstrue the situation and the next thing you know, you have a lawsuit on your hands even if there was no wrongdoing involved. Thanks, but no thanks. :(

Sounds just like Bruce. He was my very first guide dog and didn't care much for children as well as being very over protective towards me. He was an Australian sheep dog which is a very unusual breed for a guide dog. As well as having had his tail docked which tends to make dogs more agressive I think. My current dog can be trusted totally around children. She just doesn't have an agressive bone in her body.

that so crazy about dog's death but need this dog get OUT! before fires get burned everythings DOWN! or dog would get dies!

that so crazy about dog's death but need this dog get OUT! before fires get burned everythings DOWN! or dog would get dies!

SPEAK ENGLISH! Sheesh, just because you're possibly more deaf than I am, do you have to make us all look like idiots that can't make sense of a sentence???

I concur, Hear Again. One time while at Kmart, a group of women had a little girl with them and the one who was holding the girl bent her down directly into Snickers face -- while my back was turned away. I yelled at them, asking them what they think they're doing and threw in my legal pitch: "I am not responsible for any dog bite!" Snickers (pictured at left) is my hearing dog and goes almost everywhere with me. You would just cringe if you saw what people do around her, as I'm sure they do it around you, too.:roll:

SPEAK ENGLISH! Sheesh, just because you're possibly more deaf than I am, do you have to make us all look like idiots that can't make sense of a sentence???

Jeez, that was mean. If "The Old Rugged Cross Made the Difference", I wonder why you're not bearing more spiritual fruit like Paul said.

Wouldn't it have been adequate to just ask for a clarification? I understood most of what she was saying.

Back