Does 'E' Really Mean Empty on Your Car's Gas Gauge?

It's always good to have back up money in case the car needs gas rather than spending all of the money on something else. :) Enco-box are great for gas mileage so you won't have to spend too much on gas.

YEP,, that what I do, always keep back up money for gas just in case when the gas runs out! I always keep it full when I plan to drive or travel. :)

I have once ran out of gas (LPG) when I had the old car that time, (it was last year I thinK) and the car stalled just meters away from McDonald's and I found out that someone has stolen my gas - becuase I filled the whole tank the day before. Damn these people.

I am with Restless Heart. I always keep my car at least half full. If a person cannot afford to do that, then they cannot afford to drive a car.

Do not take anything for granted. Common sense is the key!

I am with Restless Heart. I always keep my car at least half full. If a person cannot afford to do that, then they cannot afford to drive a car.

Do not take anything for granted. Common sense is the key!

Last night before the ice storm begun, I filled up my gas and it was over half full, and filled it right up. 13.50 for a 2.99 per gallon. The last time I had it filled, it was a 3.05 per gallon and I spend 22.87. (It will last almost two weeks till I get that half full only if I don't go anywhere besides work.) To me, looking at the price is what I am worried about right now, the less the better. She is right...if you cannot afford it, just don't go anywhere and you cannot afford a car. I hear a lot of people ride on buses these days because they cannot afford a car or let alone a car insurance.

Someone remarked all vehicles, fuel tanks, and guages are different, so why guess? You can test how far your vehicle goes after the light comes on.

I usually don't run my 2005 Malibu with less than half a tank, but you never know what may happen, so the summer I got the Malibu, I let it run out of gas when carrying 5 spare gallons just for that purpose. I hit the "trip" feature on the odometer when the "empty" light went on, and it was 41 miles before the engine died. At 30 MPG, that means 1 1/3 gallons left.

Now if the light should ever comes on, I'll know how far I can travel before having to fill the tank.

One day in the near future people can afford to get new cars that won't require gas someday. It had to see what the new future would look like bunch of robots! :)

Someone remarked all vehicles, fuel tanks, and guages are different, so why guess? You can test how far your vehicle goes after the light comes on.

I usually don't run my 2005 Malibu with less than half a tank, but you never know what may happen, so the summer I got the Malibu, I let it run out of gas when carrying 5 spare gallons just for that purpose. I hit the "trip" feature on the odometer when the "empty" light went on, and it was 41 miles before the engine died. At 30 MPG, that means 1 1/3 gallons left.

Now if the light should ever comes on, I'll know how far I can travel before having to fill the tank.
My new car, 2007 Cheverolt Calbot, it let me know how many miles of gas left...I thought it was interesting. With old cars, it never tells me anything, just the warning light.

One day in the near future people can afford to get new cars that won't require gas someday. It had to see what the new future would look like bunch of robots! :)

:lol: It sounds like the similiarity of the movie - "I-Robot" ;)

I know somebody who usally put $2.00, $5.00 or sometimes $10.00 gas in a big vehicle like VAN, and I thought it's pretty absurd!. I know if I'm going to be driving somewhere far and I fill up my truck. A round trip from my home to another town and back used up about half a tank gas from FULL, and when I got home it's on HALF TANK. I remember my Isuzu used to fill up $20.00 when GAS was CHEAPER!, and now it cost me nearly $50.00 for FULL (*&^%) Tank. LOL

i run it til the light comes on. usually my car is real good on gas but right now since i ran it into the ditch on a very stormy winter night and i think i ripped a gas line somewhere. my holiday is coming up really soon so i'll take it in for oil change and have mech look at it. Fuel line is usually a cheap fix so im not really worried.

Well, All auto manufacturers set with federal standard requirements in 1976 are down to two gallons in tanks to activate the low fuel lights any where from 15 miles to 80 miles depend on the sizes of engines you run with... like my tow truck would get sluggish and dead least 15 miles soon as after my low fuel light turn on and a Honda Hybrid go more further as 80 miles

I was watching 20/20 on ABC last friday and they were talking about travel myths.

They were doing an experiment with a van. The van's gas warning light came up and interestingly, the van was still running an hour later on the road (65 miles to be exact) before the van's gas tank was actually empty.

So, what do you think of this myth? I'm curious to see each and every one of your input.

ABC News: Does 'E' Really Mean Empty?

well when I looked in my drivers manual it says that the light will come on when there is approcimately 3 gals left in the tank. so a van continuing to go 60+ miles after the light comes on would probably be about right.

we usually run til the gas light comes on, cuz there are 4 drivers for one car and whoever drives it has to pay the gas, so why should i fill it all the way up and let my brother use all the gas i paid. I am not rich and neither are my family. As someone mentioned that if you cannot afford to keep your gas tank full, you cannot afford to keep a car, that is nonsense. We cannot keep the car full cuz we cant afford it but we still have car, we need to have car to transport for work and shit. If you cant afford a full tank of gas just put gas for what you need not and use common sense not to go out 2 hours north to visit a friend if you don't have the money to pay for gas.

Anyway. Once i think last summer in 2006 we ran out of gas. my mom and I were going to the mall and didnt realize the gas was low and turned on the a/c and of course that uses alot of gas, so as we went up a hill it died. oh well. that's life.

I used to drive a red convertible. I always ran out of gas. I was in high school at that time.

The cool thing though was that I could just tap my gas repeatedly and the car would keep running... enough to get me to a nearby gas station.

Of course, I never ran out of gas on the highway and I've only run out of gas completely causing my car to die... twice. Eek!

Back