Does deaf people can drive? (One guy asked me)

I plan to play Division I college basketball...I'm going to have fun proving people like that wrong.

In fact, NYC Chicago Los Angeles are nothing as
compared with Europe I was in Europe 4 or 5 times
I usually felt safe driving in NYC, Chicago or Los Angeles
BUT I did NOT feel safe driving in Europe cities and
their narrow busy streets etc...
(nothing to do with being deaf ... I cannot fingerpoint
exactly why I felt un-safe driving in Europe)

To the person who says that deaf people can't drive.
Deaf people can do everything and anything that a hearing person can do
except hear.
I have three very close friends that were born deaf and one is Medical Doctor,
one is a Judge, and one is Mortician.
And they all can drive.
So Please don't put the deaf people down....
I can hear and sometimes sign for my friends and there are days that I wish that I could be deaf....

Last edited:
FeistyChick said:
:shock:CHICAGO!??? :rofl:

why don't you try NYC!??? or even driving from LA down to San Diego!!! even though the ride is an hour and half to get to SD from LA... with the traffic--- it is about 4 hours!!! :ugh: :whistle: thank god i don't live there!!! :D

I have been to NYC but haven't personal drove there by myself, RR did the driving, but if it was me, my hands will shaking and sweaty for sure.... :ugh:

Marijane Wright said:
Deaf people can do everything and everything that a hearing person can do
except hear.

Amen and Thank you!

Marijane Wright said:
except hear.
And they all can drive.
I can hear and sometimes sign for my friends and there are days that I wish that I could be deaf....
Don't Judge A Deaf Person Because In God's Eye's Were All The Same .
And Someday All The Deaf People Will Have Perfect Wings.

Y said:
In fact, NYC Chicago Los Angeles are nothing as
compared with Europe I was in Europe 4 or 5 times
I usually felt safe driving in NYC, Chicago or Los Angeles
BUT I did NOT feel safe driving in Europe cities and
their narrow busy streets etc...
(nothing to do with being deaf ... I cannot fingerpoint
exactly why I felt un-safe driving in Europe)

i can IMAGINE!!! even though i have never been to europe... but driving in BEIJING, CHINA is a NIGHTMARE!!! people drive ALL OVER THE PLACE--- you wouldn't believe it in your eyes... and even bicyclers ride next to drivers all over the place!!! :Ohno: >>> it feels like you are watching ants storming all over the place!!! :eek2:

Greg23 said:
I plan to play Division I college basketball...I'm going to have fun proving people like that wrong.

Thats correct! Impossible is nothing.... thats why we have probable or improbable instead of saying impossible!

Marijane Wright said:
except hear.
And they all can drive.

Thanks for your support, noticing that this might be your very first post and I Appreciate it very much.

You Have to be Deaf to Understand

What is it like to "hear" a hand?
You have to be deaf to understand.

What is it like to be a small child,
In a school, in a room void of sound --
With a teacher who talks and talks and talks;
And then when she does come around to you,
She expects you to know what she's said?

Or the teacher thinks that to make you smart,
You must first learn how to talk with your voice;
So mumbo-jumbo with hands on your face
For hours and hours without patience or end,
Until out comes a faint resembling sound?

What is it like to be curious,
To thirst for knowledge you can call your own,
With an inner desire that's set on fire --
And you ask a brother, sister, or friend
Who looks in answer and says, "Never Mind"?

What it is like in a corner to stand,
Though there's nothing you've done really wrong,
Other than try to make use of your hands
To a silent peer to communicate
A thought that comes to your mind all at once?

What is it like to be shouted at
When one thinks that will help you to hear;
Or misunderstand the words of a friend
Who is trying to make a joke clear,
And you don't get the point because he's failed?

What is it like to be laughed in the face
When you try to repeat what is said;
Just to make sure that you've understood,
And you find that the words were misread --
And you want to cry out, "Please help me, friend"?

What is it like to have to depend
Upon one who can hear to phone a friend;
Or place a call to a business firm
And be forced to share what's personal, and,
Then find that your message wasn't made clear?

What is it like to be deaf and alone
In the company of those who can hear --
And you only guess as you go along,
For no one's there with a helping hand,
As you try to keep up with words and song?

What is it like on the road of life
To meet with a stranger who opens his mouth --
And speaks out a line at a rapid pace;
And you can't understand the look in his face
Because it is new and you're lost in the race?

What is it like to comprehend
Some nimble fingers that paint the scene,
And make you smile and feel serene,
With the "spoken word" of the moving hand
That makes you part of the word at large?

What is it like to "hear" a hand?
Yes, you have to be deaf to understand.

(Written at 1971 by Willard J. Madsen, professor of journalism at Gallaudet University. This poem was translated into seven different languages and reprinted in publications, including DEAF HERITAGE, p. 380.)

That is really good one.

Buckdodgers - I think that you are from Arabia. Isn't that right?

this is very old

yes deaf people can do anything that hearing people can helllllllllllo. I had one guy ask me can deaf people go to college. I said of course. I do go to college, and i have a driver lisence :whistle:

I'm hearing-impaired and have been driving for 12 years with no ticket and no accident (my kids' dad is jealous, <sigh>). Deaf ppl and hearing-impaired ppl CAN drive any vehicle (regular car, limo, truck, van, commercial vehicle, and 16-wheelie) including the motorcycle. Deaf people also can fly a small plane and helicopter. My H.S. teacher's father was a deaf pilot and called his small plane "Deaf Duck." "Deaf" because he's deaf and "duck" because his plane lands on the water. ;)

So we all CAN drive. It takes a courage to be able to pass a written test and a drive test. It also takes a courage overcome our disabilities so we can be able to lead a normal life as possible.

I recalled a lady at the insurance company when I took my friend over there to get an insurance for his vehicle back in 1992. I was flabbergasted that she was making a remark on a deaf person: "I thought deaf ppl aren't suppose to drive!!!" She screamed real loud in front of her co-workers as to embarrass herself. I took one look at her and told her, "Who say a deaf cannot drive a vehicle? Do you think a woman can't drive a vehicle? Are you implying that a deaf person cannot drive a vehicle so making you think a deaf person cannot be a parent and get married? Duh to you!" I told the lady rep that I apologized that we can't be here so to look elsewhere. She apologized for the co-worker's behavior. So we went to another insurance company where my friend got his auto insurance. It was soo stoopid, I wish I knock her off the floor but didn't. <sigh>

Sorry, but Im not going to go thru this whole thread. I do just want to say that hell yes, deaf people can drive fine. They can even drive good enough to compete in pro racing, as Greg Gunderson is trying to prove. I have complete faith in him and would love to help give him his chance to race pro. If you don't know about him, you can learn here http://www.gundersonracing.com/ and please vote for him to have chance with racing show to be in top 12 and to prove to the world that deaf can do anything hearing can do, except hear. He needs to make top 12 to get on the show, but if he wins on the show, he'll get 7 fully sponsered races in NASCAR Busch series. Even if you aren't a racing fan, you can vote on principle! You can vote as many times as you can, as long as once per hour. Please help cause he's slipping in the lineup. couple weeks ago he was 12th, I got newsletter tonight saying he was 17th, and when I went to site, it showed he was down to 19th. He needs our support!

BTW, for those that don't know, I'm hearing, and here I am cheering him on and trying to help.

Rediclous!!!

I Am Hard Of Hearing Since I Was Born I Dont Drive Yet But I Am Gettin Lisence Soon Bc I Cant Take It. At First I Thought To Myself Screw This Icant Hear Well So I Wont Drive But Lately I Notice From My Deaf Friends They Started Driving And Its Not That Bad After All. I Just Gotta Take It Easy. And Honestly Yeah I Kno That Deaf Ppl Can Drive But This Is Rediclous Like You Guys Said!

:) Smile!!!!

petrie05 said:
yes deaf people can do anything that hearing people can helllllllllllo. I had one guy ask me can deaf people go to college. I said of course. I do go to college, and i have a driver lisence :whistle:

Yea, that's soooooooooooooooo old.... it has been shit for 25 years so enough with hearing people's ignorant.

rediclous!

Y said:
Can deaf people drive a BMW ?

Yeah, gimme a break...

Same thing here...
Can deaf people get married & make babies ?

Gimme a break....

yeah i dont kno why hearing ppl are so ignorant at times ergh!

all deaf ppl including profound and severe impaired, can even drive, play sports, do anything that normal ppl does.
IN THE FACT, that some ppl can drive if they hav their driving experience lol
i can drive both manual and auto :)

To me driving is so admirable coz i have a freedom to lead into independent person...

oh btw i also experienced some times that many ppl were ignorant to us but we need to be patient and believe that we may have some better qualities than them :) sometimes normal ppl thinks it is a wasting to communicate with them but that was not true. they need to be informed and taught that they can know how to 'believe' with deaf ppl.

nah, i have some friends and relatives of mine who supports and trusts me.

Back