Does deaf people can drive? (One guy asked me)

Buckdodgers said:
Bus Drivers need to hear the radio from their supervisors.
Cab Drivers need to hear the dispatch for a call.
18 wheeler truck drivers need to hear the CB.

So employers need to know where their drivers are at all times.
For those you listed, they will be enforced to provide accommodations for deaf employees. Here is the link to ADA enforcements.

I am profoundly deaf and passed the driving test and theory test on 13th November 2003....so what? :deal:

If I recall correctly, we deafies aren't allowed, by State law (CA) to operate school buses.

Tousi said:
If I recall correctly, we deafies aren't allowed, by State law (CA) to operate school buses.
Can you follow up on that to make sure that it is still in effect? It might change due to new provisions of technologies?

Buckdodgers said:
Deaf People cannot drive for a living like Bus driver,Cab Driver,18 wheeler trucks and cannot drive Mail Carriers.

That statement is not true. There's some deaf people driving a transit bus in Detroit area, from what my gf told me. There's even some deaf people drive a semi truck, planes, etc. Don't assume it before you look at the facts first. :P

LinuxGold said:
Can you follow up on that to make sure that it is still in effect? It might change due to new provisions of technologies?

This was the best I could do with my poopy computer skills and I don't know how old this is.

http://240i.com/Aoife/bus.html

Allow me to add that deaf drivers of State vans can drive vans that carry no more than 7 passengers plus the driver. Any vans over this size requires a school bus license which deaf drivers are not, by law, allowed to obtain. Bummer, eh? Maybe....

:rofl: :rofl: my dad owns a busniess and he hired a couple deaf driver to delivery all of furnitures for my dad!! i wonder why some of people think deaf people cant drive? to drive.. it does require to S E E! deaf peopl can S E E! :slap: at your friend for thinking we, deaf people, cant drive!

one funny thing.... one of my previous doctor told me "deaf people can't go scuba diving" i was like WTF that's totally wrong.. in fact no one can communicate underwater.. but can hear underwater those metal knifes hitting the tank to get other attention.. or the waterless mask with communication method swimming talkie (similar to walkie talkie)

I got my first drivers lincense long time ago and been driving for 11 years.

LinuxGold suppose i fly a plane and i fly into a restricted area and i dont respond and the military shot me down and my family couldnt sue the military and they didnt know im deaf.It says the military cant be sued for any reason.So how can you alert the deaf if i fly a plane into a restricted area?

Buckdodgers said:
LinuxGold suppose i fly a plane and i fly into a restricted area and i dont respond and the military shot me down and my family couldnt sue the military and they didnt know im deaf.It says the military cant be sued for any reason.So how can you alert the deaf if i fly a plane into a restricted area?

It is your fault, not military's. It is called Flight planning. I am a deaf pilot too. When you plan a flight plan, you have to lay out sectional map, set up degrees, speed, altitude, correctional angle and everything and turn it into FSS. If FSS do not hear from you within an hour of planned arrival, they will send out rescue helicopter to seek out for you on the flight planned route.

http://www.deafpilots.com/ check it out! :)

DeafSCUBA98 said:
one funny thing.... one of my previous doctor told me "deaf people can't go scuba diving" i was like WTF that's totally wrong.. in fact no one can communicate underwater.. but can hear underwater those metal knifes hitting the tank to get other attention.. or the waterless mask with communication method swimming talkie (similar to walkie talkie)

Gallaudet University offers scuba classes for the deaf.

DeafSCUBA98 said:

I remember when I used to live in my home country, in Europe, have read in Switzerland has announced to learn some Sign language for scuba diving hearing people, it makes me think why not deaf ppl already know sign language? now I see u re deaf and scuba diving, COOL! :)

once at my former work lady asked how can I hear siren/fire trucks flashing if I am deaf they saw I have a car, driving to work and around surprised them, hmph, deaf can drive at all and better visions/eyes deaf have! :shakehead:

Tousi said:
This was the best I could do with my poopy computer skills and I don't know how old this is.

http://240i.com/Aoife/bus.html

Allow me to add that deaf drivers of State vans can drive vans that carry no more than 7 passengers plus the driver. Any vans over this size requires a school bus license which deaf drivers are not, by law, allowed to obtain. Bummer, eh? Maybe....

Ohio say no?....We'll see about that!

Deafs can drive ,of course.. but I think it would be very dangerous to drive in my country since most people don't obey traffic rules so that you cannot properly hear unexpected warning sounds and horns..

ecevit said:
Deafs can drive ,of course.. but I think it would be very dangerous to drive in my country since most people don't obey traffic rules so that you cannot properly hear unexpected warning sounds and horns..

true, in Europe there's narrow road and parking lot :aw: and they get small cars, bikes, motorcycles. My 4runner not good there, I couldnt park/parrallel(sp?) my huge SUV there :/

ecevit said:

So, we don't need to hear the horns, we just need to keep our eyes on the road and look both ways, we don't need to hear in order to drive or to know the warning, accidents do happen and deaf people aren't the only one who gets into a car accident....

I think some people just making excuses why deaf people shouldn't be able to drive....: shaking my head :

^Angel^ said:
So, we don't need to hear the horns, we just need to keep our eyes on the road and look both ways, we don't need to hear in order to drive or to know the warning, accidents do happen and deaf people aren't the only one who gets into a car accident....

I think some people just making excuses why deaf people shouldn't be able to drive....: shaking my head :

sorry,I don't agree with you.. we sure need to hear horns,warning sounds,people shouting in traffic jam.. I'm not ashamed of being partial deaf... but there is difference between driving in quiet and traffic jam... I experienced so many dangers in the past just b/c I didn't hear horns well .. I was nearly hit by cars a few times..

ecevit said:
sorry,I don't agree with you.. we sure need to hear horns,warning sounds,people shouting in traffic jam.. I'm not ashamed of being partial deaf... but there is difference between driving in quiet and traffic jam... I experienced so many dangers in the past just b/c I didn't hear horns well .. I was nearly hit by cars a few times..

Why is it so important to hear the horns, sounds or people shouting?...

I've been to Chicago before and it is the worse traffic, yet I never got into a car accident, I don't need to hear the horns beeping, or people shouting when I have eyes to watch the road when I'm driving even if I'm in the middle of a traffic freeway, just have to be caution before I pull over to the next line....

You don't have to hear the horns just have to pay attention on where you're heading otherwise you will end up hitting someone and that's going to be your fault not only because you didn't hear the horn but because you weren't paying any attention that's why...

^Angel^ said:
Why is it so important to hear the horns, sounds or people shouting?...

I've been to Chicago before and it is the worse traffic, ...

:shock:CHICAGO!??? :rofl:

why don't you try NYC!??? or even driving from LA down to San Diego!!! even though the ride is an hour and half to get to SD from LA... with the traffic--- it is about 4 hours!!! :ugh: :whistle: thank god i don't live there!!! :D

Back