Do you want to be charged for using your debit card?

OIC, I usually let a person know that I am deaf before writing. I guess you didn't so they thought you were a robber. Now I think that's funny. So what happened after that? Didn't they feel like fools?

Actually, I did and I spoke with both the security guard and the manager before reaching the teller. She's the one who freaked out. I had the note all ready. I verbally told her I was deaf and had a note to explain what I needed done as it was 5 different things that day. She had said okay, then when I handed her the note and papers, she freaked and hit the button. All the note said was:

"I am deaf, I can read lips a little. Please speak directly to me. I need to do the following. I want to cash "such & such" check. I need to make a deposit of this other cash to these 3 accounts and I need to purchase a cashier's check with the remaining cash."

Now, where in that note does it look like I am going to rob a bank. What made her feel threatened. Everything was paper clipped for each separate transaction and then all of it had a binder-clip on it with my note on top. Both the security guard and the manager had already looked over it all and approved what I was doing. Due to the crime in our area, all local banks that I know of have armed security guards and someone checks over all transactions before you can get into line.

Police did not do anything except for bill them for a false alarm on the alarm button. However, all the employees involved were transferred and had to take a bunch of training classes.

lol wow!

well - it's not BoA.... it's just those people especially just one employee who dealt with you because she/he overreacted and sounded the alarm on you.

I am curious about the ATM fees.

Do your banks charge you with ATM fee when you withdraw cash from ATM machine at other banks, stores or other places?

If you are withdrawing money from ATM machine that's NOT associated with your bank, you will have to pay for ATM fee.

If you are withdrawing money from ATM machine that's NOT associated with your bank, you will have to pay for ATM fee.

In Canada, if you withdraw from an ATM that is not your bank, you pay a fee for both banks processing that withdrawal. so, while the machine may say "this transaction will cost you $1.50, want to continue?" and you say yes, your own bank fees you as well. I avoid not using my own bank as much as possible because of the double fees.

In Canada, if you withdraw from an ATM that is not your bank, you pay a fee for both banks processing that withdrawal. so, while the machine may say "this transaction will cost you $1.50, want to continue?" and you say yes, your own bank fees you as well. I avoid not using my own bank as much as possible because of the double fees.

It's the same here in the U.S.

Yeah okaaaay. :laugh2:

it's funny how you suddenly become an expert simply because you hear it from news :lol:

you don't think company people know it before it becomes news? guess what? they knew it wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy beforehand. and they don't care. As what my brother always said "*shrug* happens all the time. nobody gives a shit. same ole' shit"

Bank cards can be set to prevent overdraft. If there is not enough in the account, the transaction will not go through.

Having overdraft protection is a good idea.

What happens sometimes with debit cards is that the transaction doesn't always post right away when used as a credit card. With Gas for ex. The card is usually run for $1 and then the actual amount posts 2 or 3 days later. So the money you just spent on gas will show as available for a while. It also happens with tips if the tip is added after the card is processed.

it's funny how you suddenly become an expert simply because you hear it from news :lol:

you don't think company people know it before it becomes news? guess what? they knew it wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy beforehand. and they don't care. As what my brother always said "*shrug* happens all the time. nobody gives a shit. same ole' shit"

I hope he keeps thinking that way. Me, Beo and PFH do well because people think that way. I am pretty sure Banjo does too....or will. Numbers don't lie. If your brother is half the numbers guy you say he is, he is not laughing about BoA. He might be laughing AT them.... But not because it's nothing.

I hope he keeps thinking that way. Me, Beo and PFH do well because people think that way. I am pretty sure Banjo does too....or will. Numbers don't lie. If your brother is half the numbers guy you say he is, he is not laughing about BoA. He might be laughing AT them.... But not because it's nothing.

cool even though I have no idea what you just said :cool2:

I do my banking at Veridian Credit Union. There's a hearing lady that knows sign language who works as a teller. Great service and very accurate. It used to be John Deere Employees Credit Union before the name changed in 2003.

We have to use a bank or financial institution that MIL has no accounts at. So I am limited. She has accounts at 5-7 different places around here. I luckily found one that she's not at that has great customer service and most of the people in the branch I go to know ASL. It's, I think only in Florida, SunTrust Bank.

We have to use a bank or financial institution that MIL has no accounts at. So I am limited. She has accounts at 5-7 different places around here. I luckily found one that she's not at that has great customer service and most of the people in the branch I go to know ASL. It's, I think only in Florida, SunTrust Bank.

Why can't you use bank even tho your MIL has account there?

Why can't you use bank even tho your MIL has account there?

Hubby, son and father-in-law all have the same first and last name. Also, MIL still know's hubby's social security number and has been able to get info on our accounts. If we are at a different bank, then she can't get the info. FIL may have died 2 years ago, but he is still on all the accounts.

Hubby, son and father-in-law all have the same first and last name. Also, MIL still know's hubby's social security number and has been able to get info on our accounts. If we are at a different bank, then she can't get the info. FIL may have died 2 years ago, but he is still on all the accounts.

Are you serious? For one, I'm surprised she would even think about checking his account when it's none of her business.. Other thing is, I would think they would go by account number instead of name. Other thing is if her name is not on account, she shouldn't be able to get info anyways. (that's my thinking anyways)

If she is allowed to get information even tho her name is not on account. The bank is not doing their job!

Are you serious? For one, I'm surprised she would even think about checking his account when it's none of her business.. Other thing is, I would think they would go by account number instead of name. Other thing is if her name is not on account, she shouldn't be able to get info anyways. (that's my thinking anyways)

If she is allowed to get information even tho her name is not on account. The bank is not doing their job!

I've been dealing with things like this regarding her since we married in 1993. And yes, the banks are not doing their job properly, but she has always been able to do that. She has been doing this since we got married. That's why, I stay at a different financial institution and we have extra safeguards on our accounts for this. I have opted for no telephone inquiries at all and in office, you must show photo ID. It should be that way at every bank, but you would be surprised that not all of them do it. My accounts are flagged for that purpose.

Last edited:
I've been dealing with things like this regarding her since we married in 1993. And yes, the banks are not doing their job properly, but she has always been able to do that. She has been doing this since we got married. That's why, I stay at a different financial institution and we have extra safeguards on our accounts for this. I have opted for no telephone inquiries at all and in office, you must show photo ID. It should be that way at every bank, but you would be surprised that not all of them do it. My accounts are flagged for that purpose.
:shock: Yikes!

It might be time to move across country or go into a witness protection program.

Back