do you hate it when hearing person...

DeafSCUBA98

Reaction score
do you hate it when hearing person say "can your child hear?"
when i reply " yes" they replay back " oh thats good he can hear"..

This thing always annoy me.. sound like they were thinking i'm hoping it's a hearing child..

I'm glad my child's hearing as long it's my boy.

Does this happen to you?

that's disrespecting, its like telling you they symthize with u for being deaf its unfair to u and to others, and WTG that u love ur son no matter if hes hearing or not!

Thank god, I don't have a child.. But in the future, I don't know if its going to be hearing or deaf. I don't mind both :)

I had a friend who experienced that and she didn't like that because it sounded like the hearing person treated deafness as a disease or illness, and was happy that her kids both were hearing. She didn't mind them hearing, but didn't like what the hearing person said to her about deafness. She's deaf herself.

DeafScuba -- i uddy how u feel -- i would definately feel that way if a hearie said that to me abt my child even tho i myself am not a parent of human kids -- just CATS LOL

anyhow -- i get peeved when hearies ask me "can u hear me qq" even after they have been told i am DEAF :roll:

I would say, "Oh it is sad.. My kids can hear but I am thinking of remove my kids' ear drums. So they can be normal people" :thumb:

bbnt said:
Shoot all hearing people

Hmm...:wtf: That would mean shooting YOU and Prostock if you both agree on shooting ALL hearing people...that includes YOU both! :P Come on! Think again...perhaps it'd be better if you said, 'Shoot any hearing people who don't UNDERSTAND the deaf community and its culture!' Betta? :thumb: Of course, you know that it's a joke, OK!

o yeaaa

o yeaaa ive been there countless of times! I can hear and speak pretty well after long many years suffering going to speech thearpies where i hate going to...anyways ill say to the hearings im deaf dont understand and they'll say "oh you can hear me right?" ahhh *shooting myself* ill say again nooo *nods my head*...yet they esphasize their lips when talking to me *Lips dancing big* as i wld call it when they talk real slow and big *ack* it kills me.

And do you all noticed something different between not telling them "im deaf" and the afterwards by informing them you're :deaf: ?

:wave: I DO! first without knowing ur deaf they'll act all normal and be themselves, however after they find out ur deaf their attitudes and their body language changed BIG TIME! as you were like very fragile or "oooh i can't touch you or i gotta find a way to get outta here" feeling

helloo!!!! :roll: we arent any different we just only do not HEAR whoowee

ARGH! wish they treat us normal and equally as everyone else aye?!

that reminded me of yesterday, Kootchie and I went to the store to get some food. After we did our shopping and got into the car, some woman and her friend were looking at us and laughing for some reason like they were making fun of our signing or something. She pulled into the next parking space next to Kootchie's car. He pulled his car out and turned, just in time to glare at the woman getting out of her car and give her the tongue. She clammed up and looked like she got mad and embarrassed. That'll teach them.

:rofl:

pacificgyrl said:
o yeaaa ive been there countless of times! I can hear and speak pretty well after long many years suffering going to speech thearpies where i hate going to...anyways ill say to the hearings im deaf dont understand and they'll say "oh you can hear me right?" ahhh *shooting myself* ill say again nooo *nods my head*...yet they esphasize their lips when talking to me *Lips dancing big* as i wld call it when they talk real slow and big *ack* it kills me.

And do you all noticed something different between not telling them "im deaf" and the afterwards by informing them you're :deaf: ?

:wave: I DO! first without knowing ur deaf they'll act all normal and be themselves, however after they find out ur deaf their attitudes and their body language changed BIG TIME! as you were like very fragile or "oooh i can't touch you or i gotta find a way to get outta here" feeling

helloo!!!! :roll: we arent any different we just only do not HEAR whoowee

ARGH! wish they treat us normal and equally as everyone else aye?!

I hafta agree with you, pacificgyrl, I went through 15 years of speech therapy and speech reading and all that crap. I can talk and lip read quite well. It only depends on my mood whether I want to really lip read properly, :lol: but I really HATE it when hearing people find out that I'm Deaf, they suddenly said, 'Oh, I'm sorry. ' Then start talking louder than normal and I have had to stop them and explain that speaking louder or screaming won't alleviate the problem at all. Talk clearly and form the words properly while talking, etc.
Since I'm a senior staff member at work -- whenever agency casual staff are relegated to working at the house where I am -- they don't approach me at all, but to the other hearing permanent staff which pisses me off because the other hearing staff isn't as experienced as I am in the workplace. *sigh*

WaterRats13 said:
I hafta agree with you, pacificgyrl, I went through 15 years of speech therapy and speech reading and all that crap. I can talk and lip read quite well. It only depends on my mood whether I want to really lip read properly, :lol: but I really HATE it when hearing people find out that I'm Deaf, they suddenly said, 'Oh, I'm sorry. ' Then start talking louder than normal and I have had to stop them and explain that speaking louder or screaming won't alleviate the problem at all. Talk clearly and form the words properly while talking, etc.
Since I'm a senior staff member at work -- whenever agency casual staff are relegated to working at the house where I am -- they don't approach me at all, but to the other hearing permanent staff which pisses me off because the other hearing staff isn't as experienced as I am in the workplace. *sigh*

yea im there with you...i also can read lips very well some days im like eehh other than that some ppl will talk louder or talk real close to my face im like whoa back off ooh ooo. lol The job situation haha been there done that i worked at this place my boss treated me so well he has nothing to be afraid of when he found out im deaf...but for the co-workers if they were like planning to ask me something but they say umm nevermind ill ask someone else im like *sighs* i might have the answer if they ask me but noooooope :( Sometimes ill have the guts to say what? what do u want to tell/ask me outloud, tell me? Most of the time it works when i do that heheh Hey! i wanna know not to be leftout bla :P

Yes, I hate it when a lot of people ask me if my 2 boys is deaf or hearing.. I tell them yes..and they go oh can they communicate, blah blah. It's not only hearing people who asks me that.. its a few deaf people too. I always say to both the hearing and deaf, It doesn't matter to me if my 2 sons is deaf, only them being in perfect health matters to me. :)

yeah it always annoying me.. I feel like yelling at them " If he's deaf i am Very happy. if he's hearing i'm happy"

yeah i agree with some of you.. since i work at wal-mart for 3 years.. whenever a customer approch to me for some help finding stuffs.. most old people get scared and walk away looking for other worker :groans:
and odd thing.. young people are easier.. they understand and write it down what they want..

I can't wait to get done with college then i can QUIT WAL-MART!! or work in wal-mart office for a real major after college (better than looking for a new job related to my major)

Don't that suck when you are with a hearing friend or family member and you meet someone on the street. That stranger starts talking to you two, then finds out you are Deaf. The stranger suddenly ignores you and starts asking your hearing companion questions about you and your deafness, not even bothering to ask you directly!! I hate that! Next time it happens, I will get major attitude and tell off that stranger that I am human and that's no way to treat another human being.

Don't you hate it even worse when you are with a deaf friend, who can read lips and speak better than you. The very same thing happens when the stranger askes your deaf friend and your very own deaf friend ignores you too! :grrrrr:

A Jehovah Witness woman stopped by at my house, tried to give a preach to my mom. She was asking questions about me and my sisters, she somehow knew that one of my two sisters is deaf and didn't know I was the another one, too. Anyway, she was sort of surprised and told my mom "I prayed to God that my children will never be born deaf. Thank god, my children were born normal." Then my mom slammed the door right on her face! Go, mom!

e said:
A Jehovah Witness woman stopped by at my house, tried to give a preach to my mom. She was asking questions about me and my sisters, she somehow knew that one of my two sisters is deaf and didn't know I was the another one, too. Anyway, she was sort of surprised and told my mom "I prayed to God that my children will never be born deaf. Thank god, my children were born normal." Then my mom slammed the door right on her face! Go, mom!
Wow. Go E's Mom!!! I hate JW's coming to my door anyways.

Back