• I believe in reincarnation

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • I don't believe in reincarnation

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with this part. Reincarnation doesn't involve deities, specific beliefs, etc.

yes it does. It depends on which belief you believe in because each belief's interpretation of reincarnation is different.

example - Buddhism and Valkyrie

there you go. same spirit, different body :)
That's not what I meant. Same spirit, different address, meaning Heaven instead of earth. Reba's new permanent address will be Heaven. :)

but it's not actually same soul.. it's incorporated with other soul... which is why some people (or animal) felt familiar to others.
In Heaven, souls are individuals; the same person who lived on earth, and recognizable to others as such in Heaven.

yes it does. It depends on which belief you believe in because each belief's interpretation of reincarnation is different.

example - Buddhism and Valkyrie
Religions, yes.

That's not what I meant. Same spirit, different address, meaning Heaven instead of earth. Reba's new permanent address will be Heaven. :)

In Heaven, souls are individuals; the same person who lived on earth, and recognizable to others as such in Heaven.

that's Christian & Catholic belief. We believe differently. Our version of "Heaven" and "Hell" is different. Reincarnation can be viewed as "Hell" because one has to live again in this damned planet :lol:

Not reincarnating can be viewed as "Heaven" aka "Enlightenment" aka Nirvana because one has finally ascended into a perfect world.

that's Christian & Catholic belief. We believe differently. Our version of "Heaven" and "Hell" is different. Reincarnation can be viewed as "Hell" because one has to live again in this damned planet :lol:

Not reincarnating can be viewed as "Heaven" aka "Enlightenment" aka Nirvana because one has finally ascended into a perfect world.

I tend to agree with you on this one.

Whatever I did in my past life must have been pretty bad, considering how shitty my life in this one can be. LOL.

Just saying.

I personally don't believe that the things we endure in our current lifetime are punishment for past lives. I believe we choose certain challenges and obstacles before we come here to gain better understanding and insight to what life is all about.

While we may not see in the moment what is to be gained, there is a lesson to be learned in every experience and every interaction we have. It forces us to take action, and to fight rather than retreat. Every time we overcome an obstacle, we feel better about ourselves and get a nice boost of self confidence.

I believe that in all our different lifetimes we experience all sides of the coin. Let's say in a past life you were royalty, and had all the wealth in the world. In your next lifetime you might come back as a peasant, being forced to earn everything you have.

That's not to say your life as Royalty was perfect. Your father was abusive, and your mother had no backbone. In your peasant life, you had a strong family connection filled with love and support.

My point is, every person faces challenges. Those challenges are just different, but it doesn't necessarily mean that one challenge is worse than the other. They are just different.

If we take a step back in times of hardship and think, what lesson can be learned from this? What good can come out of this shitty situation? You'd be surprised the insight that can come from quiet reflection.

One example, my son having a hearing loss. Well, the good that came out of that was that I learned sign language. I also learned to be a strong advocate for him in school, to stand up to the administrators when they continually tried to shut me out. Ultimately, they ate poop and we got what he needed.

My son also has serious chronic medical issues. With him being born early, and being hospitalized for extended periods of time I learned to advocate for him in that realm too. I never take the doctors/nurses word without asking questions. I don't let them medicate him unless I know what it's for and that it's the appropriate dosage. I learned to be an active participant in his care, questioning things that weren't right.

The moral of the story is that their is good in the bad, we just have to take the time to find it.

Correction: THERE is good in the bad ;-)

Isn't reincarnation a specific belief? People believe that they will be reincarnated.

For those who believe in reincarnation:

What is the power behind reincarnation? What causes it? What is the agency that assigns spirits to new bodies?

"Spirits" or "souls" are also a specific belief (as in, people believe that spirits or souls exist.)

For those who believe in spirits or souls (um... just about everyone who's posted, it seems, lol; also, shortning to just "spirits" to mean either)...

What is a spirit? What is it made up of and how does whatever it's made of affect matter and materials in the physical universe? What ties a spirit to an individual body?

For my part, nope, I don't believe in reincarnation, because I've never seen any evidence to convince me that ours isn't a reductionist universe, purely physical and wholly without supernatural influences.

In some parts of the world it is very hard on Deaf people because of the belief that deafness is caused by having acquired bad karma in a past life. People don't want that bad karma to rub off so they shun Deaf folk.

Interestingly the concept of karma does not necessitate a belief in reincarnation and a belief in reincarnation does not necessitate a belief in karma. They are two separate beliefs though they are often held together.

"Spirits" or "souls" are also a specific belief (as in, people believe that spirits or souls exist.)

For those who believe in spirits or souls (um... just about everyone who's posted, it seems, lol; also, shortning to just "spirits" to mean either)...

What is a spirit? What is it made up of and how does whatever it's made of affect matter and materials in the physical universe? What ties a spirit to an individual body?
Souls and spirits are not the same thing.

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."
Hebrews 4:12

In the Bible, the soul is nephesh (Hebrew) and psyche (Greek).

In the Bible, the spirit is ruach (Hebrew) and pneuma (Greek).

(Notice in ASL, how SOUL and SPIRIT are signed differently from each other.)

The soul is the material living part of a person or animal that makes the recognizable individual that can relate with other persons or animals.

The spirit is the non-material part of a person that can relate with God.

Man and animals have souls but only man has a spirit.

Man isn't a spirit but man has a spirit. The spirit is one component of man.

Upon death, the soul (which includes the spirit) separates from the body. The soul goes either to Heaven or Hell. At the final resurrection, all souls will be reunited with their eternal resurrection bodies. Then, in their permanent bodies, their souls (which include their spirits), will live forever in Heaven or Hell.

So... a "soul" is your personality, and a "spirit" is... the supernatural thingy that "exists" outside of physical existence? (Side note - the way I've heard them used, most people commonly seem to reverse those, claiming that animals have spirits but not souls, souls are immortal, etc, etc.)

However, the main point I was wondering was, what are they made of, and (assuming you don't answer with "atoms" or "quarks") why do you think that substance actually exists?

It is highly unlikely you're the only non-religious person here. Reincarnation doesn't necessarily equal religion though. I am Catholic, but I identify myself as Spiritual first. For me, I take what works and makes sense to me and leave the rest.

Aw, there is no option for "Not sure/Don't know." Oh well.

I used to not believe it but now I'm not sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back