Do you believe in grounding your child/children?

JeepGirl

Reaction score
I would like a feedback whether you believe in grounding your child or children or not? If your kid fought in school, would you ground him/her? If your kid talks back, makes bad grades, disobey you , etc, would you ground him/her? How long do you ground him/her for? If you don't believe in grounding, how do you punish your child for wrong doing? I'm just really curious. I've never been grounded before and my boyfriend has. My boyfriend has the military punishment since his step-dad was in the army. So he was pretty strict. I grew up almost never getting in trouble. I have talked in class, made a couple of bad grades, fought with another student and so on, but never once been grounded.

Now, my boyfriend and I have an issue whether to ground my daughter for talking in class but yet she made the A-B honor roll. That's one of the reason i didn't ground her but to talk to her about not talking in class and wait til the teacher gives permission for the kids to talk in class. My boyfriend thinks the opposite. He thinks we should ground her for like 2 days to make her realize its not funny and its serious. I kinda agree with him but I feel bad.

I would be happy to hear from your side and tell me how you punish your child. I'm not speaking of spanking.. only on how to punish and in what way.

thanks

Well, i do believe in dipcline the kids, almost like grounding. It only way to make them learn the leasson from wrong and right. I always make them time out for 5 mins or, take things that their's favorite. Its usually works. The kids must to obey and listen the parents. The only way to make them behave and grow up better. I see alots of parents didn't punish their kids, but the kids behave so awful and disrespect, and i don't like it all. So, it only lead them grows better from right and wrong. So, team work is only make it easy each other to help out. Well, don't feel bad, cuz u know she was doing wrong, and it will help her to understand its not right thing to do. Well, hope that would help ya.

you believe in grounding your child or children or not?
Yes, I do believe grounded my child and depend the case situation how's bad or minor..

If your kid fought in school, would you ground him/her?
Yes, I will grounded my child if it's serious matter related the school.. and will have my child grounded a day within no contact their friend via phone or visiting friend's place.

How long do you ground him/her for?
Related school (Fight Student or Arguments) Teacher: Grounded my child a day.
Related School failing their test: Not approve grounded my child because of that.. Try their best effort work goal pass the test.. I believe my own philosophy.
Related my home failing obey family's rules: Depend how many days their grounded...

Yes, I do grounding punishments, such as not playing outdoors with friends, or having friends over, or not having to play with their video games. Depends on how bad it is, When my son got a bad grade on his report card, I would grounded him for one week, and if it happens again he would be grounded for another week and even discuss the bad grade with him, and why he went from A to C, if he needed help with anything he could have asked me, and even discuss how education was important and that should be his first priority than his friends or any other activities. He's very smart but getting a bit lazy with his school work, because he seems to chooses his friends and been spending so much time with his friends and not doing much with his school work, I cut that so he could improve better, and only spend weekends with his friends so that he could do better in school.

My youngest son has been talking in class twice, but I don't grounded him over that, I just talked to him about it, and how important education is for him, and he should not be talking in class, should focus his attention on his teacher and his school work, and talking is later when it is allowed. I even told him if it happens again, Don't make me come to your class, sit and watch you like a hawk, I know I got through him good on that one, I could see his face looks frighten. :Ohno: Lol!!! :lol:

If grounding works with the child, then yes. There are some children who do not care if they got grounded or not so a different kind of discipline is needed for those children.

I try to find the kind of punishment that will fit the "crime". Like one time, my daughter went outside with her socks on even after I told her twice to put her shoes on. So, I made her wash all her dirty socks by hand. She never went outside without shoes again.

I ground my daughter for giving me a bad attitude about math homework or for getting into trouble at school.

Other bad behavior, I try to find the punishment that closely correlates with the "crime". I dont want to ground her too much that she becomes resistant to it where it isnt effective anymore.

that good topic this question

im wishes i would have children one days and i will give their punish or grounded from school depends principals and teachers's comments says.

if i give my children go anywhere i dont think so you should go! like underages clubs,parties,etc.

if my kids gone without my permission if need know where you going?

i dont wanted my kids get grounded if my kids using their own computer,their cells phone will be limit 30 minutes or less if dont listen to me they took computer and cell phone for 1 weeks or 6 weeks between.

mostly teen kids always obey parents they know where going like underages clubs,parties,etc.

i believe in grounding yes to control their behavior and they need to think twice to not to make the mistake again

If grounding works with the child, then yes. There are some children who do not care if they got grounded or not so a different kind of discipline is needed for those children.

I try to find the kind of punishment that will fit the "crime". Like one time, my daughter went outside with her socks on even after I told her twice to put her shoes on. So, I made her wash all her dirty socks by hand. She never went outside without shoes again.

I ground my daughter for giving me a bad attitude about math homework or for getting into trouble at school.

Other bad behavior, I try to find the punishment that closely correlates with the "crime". I dont want to ground her too much that she becomes resistant to it where it isnt effective anymore.

Yeah same here btw I like what you did to your daughter when she went outside with her socks on after you even told her a couple of times to put her shoes on, and made her wash all her dirty socks, I should try that next time, that was a good one....

RebelGirl,

Hon you don't have to ground your daughter just because she talk during class since she is an honor roll students, sounds like she is doing very well in school but the talking is what getting her in trouble, I know that is wrong but alot of children been doing that too, talk to your daughter and make sure she doesn't do it again, and that she can get in trouble if she conitune to talk during class, I've told my boys the same thing, and they know they don't want to get in trouble by the school and by me..

:lol: I´m the same as you as well...

I got Danny to clean his shoes himself. I told him to take old shoes or sport shoes if they want to play scoocer or any sports.... He come home with mud on his clothes and shoes... He said that his mates play scoocer at last minutes... so he like to play with them... It´s not first time... I got him to wash his clothes in the bathroom tub and clean shoes... I told him to not go out or watch TV/computer games until their clothes and shoes are clean. I watched and listen my son :pissed: until he worn out....and mad and wash his clothes.

I got Danny to clean bicycle as well... I told him that he can´t go out unless his bicycle has to be clean. Why? We will pay penatly fine if Police see dirty bicycle with no light... Of course he have to pay the repair or re-new out of his pocket money. He know and don´t like it... that´s why he have to take care of bicycle... :cool:

About school, teachers asked parents permission in agreement contract before our children go in school... We questioned school before sign the agreement contract what kind of grounding they will make on our children. Accord law, they are not allow to spank them and harsh punishment but just punishment/grounding. Teacher grounded them for write "I must not play..." repeat in 50 lines - or no one day outing trip or no sport or whatever... If they have the problem then contact us for our support. We have to come to school to support teacher to deal our children.

Come home from school - no TV and computer games but play games with us and communicate with us.

I told my children... if they lost school workpapers, pen or whatever then they have to pay out of their pocket money... they have to learn to take care of their school workpapers... I only buy new one if their workpapers, pen, ink etc are running out.

I would like a feedback whether you believe in grounding your child or children or not
?

Good thread... Depend on difference... I will try to answer on your each questions.

If your kid fought in school, would you ground him/her?

Listen child´s talk first and will explain them to not do that again.. If they repeat then they will deserve my ground. If there´re bully then is a different story.

If your kid talks back, makes bad grades, disobey you , etc, would you ground him/her?

Yes to all except bad grades. I would not ground my child for bad grades but talk to them and try to find out what problems they have... then solve this issues with teacher... how can we help my children etc.

How long do you ground him/her for?

See my response post to Sheld90´s post.

I ground my children for few days for disobey house rules. (1 to 3 days)

If you don't believe in grounding, how do you punish your child for wrong doing? I'm just really curious.

See the example of my response post to Shel90.

That's one of the reason i didn't ground her but to talk to her about not talking in class and wait til the teacher gives permission for the kids to talk in class. My boyfriend thinks the opposite. He thinks we should ground her for like 2 days to make her realize its not funny and its serious. I kinda agree with him but I feel bad.

I agree with you to talk your daughter first and tell her to not do that again next time. If she ignore you then is her ground. I don´t agree with your boyfriend for ground your daughter right way... First talk then your daughter will remember your warning and will not do that again next time.

I would give my son ground if I need. My stepson never had ground from his mom and my husband. I tried give him ground but my husband didnt allow. He ended up jail and will return to jail again. I told my husband that See you never give him any punishment. My husband learned his mistake because he never been ground from his mother. I am so glad that he dont live with us anymore. I was ground few times from my parent. I respected my parent and did good at school. My husband didnt get much trouble and he was always good boy.

I think that every kid should be punished for their negative behavior.

Lately, I've been seeing spoiled kids. Remember the arrest of 3 girls for beating up 1 girl? That's cuz they weren't fully educated and were probably not raised well by their parents. :dunno:

I've been punished while growing up. Sometimes, it was severe. However, I wouldn't be that severe with my kids, but I would still punish them when necessary.

kids like rules to teach them a lesson. it helps them to learn from their wrong doings. learning from right and wrong.

It depends on which situation in order to ground a child for his/her behavior or whatever happened. I believe that when a child does something wrong then yes, he/she will have to learn what comes their way by facing the consequences of his/her actions. That includes grounding.

There are privileges, allowances, curfews and many more that the kids will have to realize it's for them to keep unless they did something wrong then those privileges should be taken away.

If it was an empty threat then the kids would be thinking "Oh, Mom/Dad said this but they didn't do it. So that means I can do it again because they will do the same thing again." with a shrug on their shoulder. So of course, I am sure everyone knows by now that it is always important to put an united front when the kids are around to show them what's right and wrong.

Yup, I did but against to grounded any child who under 13 years old or unable to go out with friend, also other punishment would be corner, stay room, loss of stuff like take Wii or toys away, paperwork like write an sentence and more way to do instead of grounded.

Grounded will be nothing to get benefit if child is feeling in isolated, such as not like to hang out with friend or go out to other place then other punishment need to be applied to learn their lesson.

I'm against on spanking on children because it considered to be child abuse, that's UNACCEPTABLE...

I do ground my step-children by taking away their privileges such as XBOX, Sidekick, World of Warcraft, Internet and going out from home. Usually, I dont do that in first instance as I would sit down and talk things over along with stern warning. if second instance strikes again then so be it and make sure period for grounding is set and does not change. So the child will know that its a final and ultimate decision by the parents

I'm against on spanking on children because it considered to be child abuse, that's UNACCEPTABLE...

Spanking is a borderline acceptance in the community and to the public. Its a case by case basis of child abuse and the law does not involve in this matter if the child gets spanked on the hand or butt because of the punishment they need to deserve. It is NOT ACCEPTABLE to spank or hit from the neck up, or create bruises or purple marks on bodies My parents did spank on my butt and has learned a lot of lessons in life.

My two sisters still does that on their children at a last resort after their punishment options have run out.

Wow.. those are great feedbacks!!! first of all, I didn't ground my daughter for talking in class.. I had a talk with her and she understand what I said and meant it.

thank you all for listening and giving feedbacks! I certainly hope we'll have more feedbacks!

Okay... so, what if your child refuses to listen to you?

Are you going to punish him?

Back