Do people understand you?

My family and friends are great and i think they understand me most of the time but sometimes i know they get annoyed. Like for example if i ask them to repeat something and i still dont get it they then just wont tell me which is really frustrating. My mum gets annoyed cause i turn tv up a little bit and she doesnt understand, she says she can hear it but i try to explain i hear half of what she hears it just causes a row. So i guess most of the time they are good but sometimes it just feels like im a nuisance to them and thye get annoyed.

No one understands me.

It has caused me to become sarcastic.

Once I went into a crowded bar to get change for bus fare. I waved the dollar bill and said to the bartender, "Could you break this dollar bill for me, please?"
He nodded and made me a Bloody Mary. :(

My parents kind of have this mentality that my hearing loss can be fixed with CI and don't understand the risks involved. In other words, they look at the positive aspects of how to 'fix' my hearing loss, but don't take into consideration of all potential outcomes.

Needless to say, my parents treat me as if I'm hearing and disregard my 'deaf' side of me most of the time. Sometimes its a good thing, other times its extremely infuriating. I don't expect them to understand my perspective on things and what I deal with on a day to day basis, but please do not disregard the fact that I am truly a hearing impaired individual and certain accommodations are needed (such as face to face conversation for the purpose of lip reading) in order to alleviate any kind of unnecessary conflict/tension.

However, over the last few years, I've slowly been alienated from my family and as a result, I've somewhat stopped trying to include them in many aspects of my life. I try to maintain some semblance of a relationship, but when it becomes a one-way street where I'm doing all the work, it becomes tiring. Hopefully, the family relationships doesn't completely disappear over the years.

yea my family's good. 2 deaf boys (me and my brother).... yea YOU accommodate us! :)

Once I went into a crowded bar to get change for bus fare. I waved the dollar bill and said to the bartender, "Could you break this dollar bill for me, please?"
He nodded and made me a Bloody Mary. :(

What did you then , drink the Bloody Mary or get or your money back?

What did you then , drink the Bloody Mary or get or your money back?

Hah. I paid for it and gulped it down (that was about five years ago, before I quit drinking) and got the change. The bus fare was $1.10 with a transfer ticket, and I had a friend with me, and I figured spending $2.20 was better than $4. I forget how much the bloody drink was, but it was a lesson to be learned. :lol:

Sorry for the subjective title.

Basically, do you think that most of your friends and family members understand your needs?

I'm HoH and sometimes I think that my family & friends forget. For instance, they will often use an aggressive tone when asked to repeat something. Or, they may excessively increase the loudness of their voice. I find this annoying because signs of aggression suggest that they can't be bothered, and speaking excessively loud is just rude. More often than not, all they need to do is face me and speak more clearly.

Sure, if it was someone I didn't know very well, I'd be more understanding and tolerant. However, with family and friends, it is very frustrating at times.

For me, that's daily life. I am getting a little better at dealing with it.

I can't really think of good examples of why the family would get mad at the deaf person ... ?

My dad did not need a good reason to get mad at me , he only knew that when he called me I better come even if I did not hear him!

My parents understand me. I feel blessed by them. And thankfully my hearing aids as well.

My parents understand me. I feel blessed by them. And thankfully my hearing aids as well.

That's becase you function like a hearing person. :D

I tried to function like one...EPIC FAIL!

With certain limitations that I and my parents already recognized.

Hah. I paid for it and gulped it down (that was about five years ago, before I quit drinking) and got the change. The bus fare was $1.10 with a transfer ticket, and I had a friend with me, and I figured spending $2.20 was better than $4. I forget how much the bloody drink was, but it was a lesson to be learned. :lol:

was bloody mary any good eh? I never tried that but years ago I wud go to bar and had mudslide 2 or 3.. but I quit drinking at bars but if I wanted to drink better off at friend's house if have special occasions to mellow and have fun ;)

well no people don't understand my sloppy writting I have to calm down and write slow.. pain in my a$$.. and I quit using handwritting i only use handwritting for signature that's it :P

was bloody mary any good eh? I never tried that but years ago I wud go to bar and had mudslide 2 or 3.. but I quit drinking at bars but if I wanted to drink better off at friend's house if have special occasions to mellow and have fun ;)

I don't remember how it tasted, lol. I don't blame you for having a nice time with your friends, and I have long ago learned it is nuts to rant over friends' alcohol intake, since after all, people have the right to drink. :wave:

I get along pretty well with everybody

My mom-Understands that she needs to look at me when she talks, but there are many times she will try to talk to me and have her back to me.

My brother-Understands, but he always wants to get loud, FYI that just makes it worse

Friends-They understand, and also know that if I cant hear them I just hand them my phone so they can write it out

My family tries to be accomodating, but it doesnt really work.

I always feel left out at family dinners or get-togethers because everyone is talking (Im the only deaf person in my family) and nobody bothered to attempt to communicate with me. However, my brother's wife decided to take up sign language classes to better communicate with me and to teach her children how to communicate with her better as well. She's managed to also convince her sister to take up sign language classes because she's training to be a nurse, and it would be very beneficial for her to also have some knowledge of sign language so that was great.

So when I have get-togethers at my brother's place or my dad's place, I like knowing the fact that I can talk with my sister in law.

But as far as friends go.... Well... I recently decided to stop talking to a group of hearing people because even though most of them took ASL classes, they dont bother using sign language even when I'm around... So I just end up sitting there staring at everyone and feeling kind of steamed because I keep having to ask, "whats going on?" every 5 minutes... Meh.

Ive been trying to get out more often and socialize with other deaf people though. So far, so good.

I'm going to slightly change my earlier response. While my speech is very clear, it seems that I am forgetting how to properly say some words. Doctors say not to worry, and that it is not a medical or neurological issue. I am also having (it seems) problems getting what I want to say across at times in a forum, so that people take it wrong and not how I intended.

I'm going to slightly change my earlier response. While my speech is very clear, it seems that I am forgetting how to properly say some words. Doctors say not to worry, and that it is not a medical or neurological issue. I am also having (it seems) problems getting what I want to say across at times in a forum, so that people take it wrong and not how I intended.
Sorry to hear about it. And as for the speech part, that if I've gathered correctly, you're late deafened, right? And if you're late deafened and currently not getting any or enough auditory input, it can have an gradual effect on your speech.

Back