Do interpreters receive name signs?

scuba

Reaction score
im curious about this lol :hmm:

im curious about this lol :hmm:

Depending on where you live.

In Calgary and southern Alberta have name signs for EVERYONE in the Deaf community, including interpreters. The interpreters in Victoria, BC also get name signs as well.

Although in Edmonton and northern Alberta-- people just fingerspell the first three letters. :\

Addendum: So... in Calgary, I would have a name sign which I carried with me to Victoria, but in Edmonton my name would just be "A-N-D" or "D-A-V" depending if people want to use my first or second name. Don't know they do that in Edmonton instead of a name sign, but they do. Never saw anyone else with a name sign either north of Calgary...

Last edited:
:rofl:

There are some deaf students at RIT who actually treat their interpreters that way. :roll:

That's so rude. Interpreters make an effort to bridge the hearing and Deaf communities and all they get is a "hey you"? :(

Interpreters are people too. Yes, of course they have name signs. They probably don't come up during work, because there is no need to refer to the interpreter, but they are used when discussing the person outside of a working situation, just like any other person with a sign name.

Cool, thank you guys for the great replies :]

(lol @ "hey you!")

2zsrz3s.jpg

*it's a pix of cartoon of hand pressing intercom button "hey you"

Yep, they receive name signs, and sometimes ones that are not very flattering.:giggle:

Yes, my first terp was Shoes. Next was L and R over heart. Now they are both gone and I am very sad. Shoes moved away and Lazy Ray is very very sick. Sign names as you know are gifts. My gifted terp friends came with very good and appropriate names.

i got my name sign
its the sign for ship/vessel, wich is the hands opposed as in ASL house, making an angle, but instead of vertical, horizontal

Yes, my first terp was Shoes. Next was L and R over heart. Now they are both gone and I am very sad. Shoes moved away and Lazy Ray is very very sick. Sign names as you know are gifts. My gifted terp friends came with very good and appropriate names.

What a flattering name. :laugh2:

What a flattering name. :laugh2:

Maybe he was fond of his wild shoe collection and wore unusual shoes alot.

You do understand that name signs usually describe a memorable characteristic of a person?

:rofl2:

Yes I do, I was just joking around. :)

Okay.

My sign name is actually "Elf", given by my grandmother when I was a child.

Since I am now a fat old lady, it probably should be changed, but I like it, even though it might not describe me perfectly now.

Okay.

Since I am now a fat old lady, it probably should be changed, but I like it, even though it might not describe me perfectly now.

What inspired your sign name? Were you really into elves?

No I think it was just because I was a little odd. :lol:

D'aww, bummer. I was hoping to hear about some elf obsession. :giggle:

Wonder what my name sign will be when I get one. Right now I just finger spell CJB.

Okay.

Ah, but you still have that impish elf personality. ;)

Back