Del. Lawmakers Limit Tongue Splitting

Nancy

Reaction score
Del. Lawmakers Limit Tongue Splitting

By RANDALL CHASE, Associated Press Writer

DOVER, Del. - Body artists in Delaware who want to go beyond tattooing and piercing soon may risk a serious tongue lashing by a judge if they don't consult with their doctors first.

A bill approved by the state Senate on Tuesday prohibits the practice of tongue splitting unless it is done by a licensed doctor or dentist.

The practice, which sometimes follows tattooing and piercing among hard-core body artists, leaves a person's tongue with a serpent-like appearance.

"Some of them are doing it themselves, which is very dangerous," said Jan Teplitz, spokeswoman for the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons.

While the practice is rare, if not nonexistent, in Delaware, lawmakers decided it would be wise to nip it in the bud.

"I had never heard of tongue splitting until I saw this bill," said Senate sponsor James Vaughn, D-Clayton.

The bill, introduced by Rep. John Van Sant, D-Wilmington, and passed by the House earlier this month, heads to Gov. Ruth Ann Minner for her signature.

"The governor isn't sure the bill is needed but she's not sure its something worth splitting hairs or splitting tongues over," said Minner spokesman Greg Patterson.

Under the bill, anyone other than a licensed physician or dentist who splits the tongue of another person would be guilty of first-degree tongue splitting, a misdemeanor. Anyone performing the procedure on a person under the influence of drugs or alcohol or on a minor without parental consent would be guilty of second-degree tongue splitting, also a misdemeanor.

Repeat offenders could face felony charges.

The bill defines tongue splitting as "the surgical procedure of cutting a human tongue into two or more parts giving it a forked or multi-tipped appearance."

With Minner's signing of the law, Delaware will join Texas and Illinois in restricting or barring tongue splitting.

Texas has outlawed the procedure, and Illinois restricts the practice to doctors and dentists, according to Carol O'Brien, general counsel for the AAOMS.

Similar legislation to regulate tongue splitting has been proposed in Tennessee, West Virginia, New York, Indiana and Kentucky, O'Brien said.

Erk...I have heard of tongue splitting months ago and it's a digusting thing to see. I don't mind the body piercing, but tongue splitting?! No thanks!

:roll:

:werd: i agree PurpleRose -- im glad its gonna be restricted to doctor/dentist that do the procedure -- i myself find tongue splitting pretty disgusting!

*checks my nice tongue and am glad its still in ONE piece* :lol:

I was interested in this, I wouldn't do it, but I think it's pretty cool. Of course, some people thing that piercing is bad, but you seem to think it's ok, possibly because you have some? You'll never set a standard for yourself that you cannot meet...

Back